Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 10:10 AM

89,807 posts, read 45,448,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The length of the lines vary, though, and if you're a minority, you will wait longer, on average. That's a fact. It won't go away no matter how much you hate CNN.
Areas with high percentages of Blacks and Hispanics tend to vote Democrat and have Democrat local leaders. Why aren't their leaders doing anything about the long lines? Seems like Democrats are creating their own race-based voter suppression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 10:12 AM

16,952 posts, read 16,851,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skandalon View Post
Exactly. It's clear to me that the intention of both sides is to suppress the vote. Whether one identifies as a D or R, they are both corrupt and both are willing to do what they have to do in order to win - and by that - I don't mean "legally."
I think "Black Friday" is being reconfigured this year. Walmart is holding 3 events online and many businesses following that model. I just can't see crowded stores with 500 people screaming and pushing, not to mention long lines for hours waiting for the $88 42" TV.

Edit: I was responding to another part of your post about Black Friday.

7,519 posts, read 2,837,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

You're wrong on all fronts. These aren't inconveniences. Inconveniences are like a nuisance. Finding out your polling place is having bug and the line is slowed until it is fixed or is closed and you have to goto the next town over are not an inconvenience.
Great thing is that absentee voting exists and is not inconvenient at all. My ballot goes out tomorrow.

14,831 posts, read 7,476,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skandalon View Post
If the wait causes them not to vote, that's on them.
Right, this is the suppression methodology.

I'm going to make it as inconvenient as possible for my political opponents to express an opinion against me, and if they can't jump through the hoops required to do so then that just proves my inherent position of superiority to them and shows they didn't deserve to vote anyway.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:16 AM

16,952 posts, read 16,851,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Permit View Post
Picture is worth 1000 words
That girl in the pink shirt in the photo needs a Cheeseburger.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:24 AM

1,767 posts, read 573,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
What I'm hearing is, lazy people don't have any time to be good citizens and select good government.
What I'm hearing is that you are completely out of touch.

I, personally, am quite lazy, but I had time to vote because my kids are grown, my work hours are flexible, and I have a car.

People who work multiple jobs, or hourly wage jobs are not lazy.

Quote:
Not relevant. Most polling precincts are within walking distance, since polling precincts are based on census tracts.
The nearest early voting location in my area is 1.5 miles from my house. That would be walkable. But, that's also where the 3 hour line was. If I couldn't wait in that three hour line the next closest place would be 7 miles away. Lemme guess - anyone who won't walk 7 miles to vote is lazy, right? [/quote]

Quote:
But, none of that matters since absentee ballots are available.
In Texas, you may vote absentee if:

you are 65 years or older;
you are disabled;
you will be out of the county on Election Day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; or
you are confined in jail, but otherwise eligible, or certified for participation in the address confidentiality program.

So no, absentee ballots are not freely available.

Quote:
What, retired people on Social Security are on "salary"?
I don't even know what this means.

Quote:

People like you do nothing but make 1,000s of excuses.
And people like you think that your personal experience is the personal experience of everyone else. "It's easy for me, so it's easy for everyone." Voting is easy for me, but I have a thing called empathy, and understand that my circumstances are not everyone's circumstances.

Voting should be easy and convenient for every eligible voter, period.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:25 AM

4,984 posts, read 4,303,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
That girl in the pink shirt in the photo needs a Cheeseburger.
LOL

I seem to recall a time when we only had ONE DAY to vote...

Old 10-15-2020, 10:30 AM

76,959 posts, read 47,966,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
For those of you who get your news from CNN... here's the latest crap they are peddling:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/04/opini...eph/index.html

Can't get any dumber than this. Long lines are EVERYWHERE!!! It's not a racial thing.
From the article:

" In Texas, at least 750 polling places have been closed since then, forcing many predominantly black and brown people to travel longer distances to exercise their citizenship rights"

So, yes, that is a concern, because it looks like they closed many polling places black neighborhoods which means massive lines in other places. This discourages voting among the citizens who live in the black neighborhoods.

I'm pretty sure people would be upset if they closed polling places in white neighborhoods and the voters had to travel to black neighborhoods and stand in the line for 8 hours. Many wouldn't bother. I wouldn't vote if it was made that difficult.

No wonder GOP fought tooth and nail against mail-in ballots. They want to make it as difficult as possible.

They need to open new polling places, not close existing ones.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-15-2020 at 10:45 AM..

Old 10-15-2020, 10:51 AM

2,058 posts, read 4,592,450 times
After reading through this thread, I was curious about my state's polling places. What I found interesting here is that Baltimore City has the most polling places and drop boxes out of the whole state. They have a combined 15 places to vote/drop off. All other areas are county based and they only range from 1 to 5 locations total. One county encompasses a 656 mile area and only has one location to vote.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:55 AM

25,891 posts, read 20,836,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Inconvenience is not suppression or an obstacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
So lines are a white cultural thing, like hard work? Is CNN suggesting blacks are too lazy or impatient to wait in line? Also, since time is also a white cultural construct it should be irrelevant how long they have to wait. If anything it should only matter to whites, since they are the only ones who are culturally expected to be on time for anything.

The more I think about it, the more astoundingly racist the left seems to be.
How much time does your employer allow you to take off to vote on Election Day?
One hour?
Two?
If you have to wait more than the allotted time, do you risk losing that day’s pay or even the job to vote?

Clearly people are accepting the inconvenience of waiting for hours to vote.
They are giving up a full day’s pay because voting is that important to them.
But what about those who cannot?
Should they be denied the right to vote because the powers-that-be want it to be hard for them to do so?

How or why should these sorts of obstacles to voting be acceptable to anyone?

In any event, some good info here:

“I'm scheduled to work on Election Day. Do I have a right to take time off from work to vote?
Not necessarily. Getting time off to vote is an area of the law dealt with on a state-by-state basis. Depending on where you live, you may, or may not have the right to take time off to vote. For voting, the state laws rule applies during local, as well as national presidential elections.“

https://www.workplacefairness.org/vo...-time-off-work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies