Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 02:21 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,939,228 times

Advertisements

I see democrats and republicans arguing over this a lot and I would really like a straight forward, simple answer to my upcoming question.

To drink, one needs to show ID.

To buy cigarettes, one needs to show ID.

To go to a strip club, one needs to show ID.

To enter many work facilities, the employees need to show their ID.

The list goes on. So why do some people get upset when someone suggests requiring ID to DECIDE THE FUTURE OF OUR COUNTRY?

I don't get it. And I don't get why some people claim it would suppress minority turnout. Just provide everyone an ID and then they can use it. We would need to provide it for free, but we waste money on much worse things. So seriously, why not provide and then require voter ID, when it is required for so many other minor things in life? What is the harm? Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 02:24 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,292,243 times
I look old enough and am rarely asked for ID for alcohol, cigarettes though I don't smoke, or strip clubs.

But then again, some people like feel good laws that don't do anything other than make them feel good.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
I look old enough and am rarely asked for ID for alcohol, cigarettes though I don't smoke, or strip clubs.

But then again, some people like feel good laws that don't do anything other than make them feel good.
Isn't it just common sense to require ID, to decide the future of our country? Why not require it? How would it suppress minority turnout?

Old 02-28-2016, 02:48 PM

24,662 posts, read 17,395,308 times
I know it really is frustrating to hear the Dems block what should be common sense and take it one step further by stating the the Reps want to block people from voting.

Voting is a right that all citizens have and it is their choice to exercise it. People in prisons should not be allowed to vote since they checked themselves out of society when they broke the law. Illegal aliens should not be allowed to vote because they are not citizens.

Now for the folks who have the legal right to vote yet they do not have a photo ID like say a drivers license give them a voter ID card. The Dems will often say that the elderly, many of whom have given up their license but still want to vote will miss out on the chance to. I say months before the election why not go to the nursing homes, take photos and make up ID for them.
Where there is a will there is a way but the Dems like to shout unfair treatment and voting rights denials.

I also think that the voting age should be raised to 21. We guard our 18 year old kids when it comes to buying alcohol so we should guard against them making a uninformed decision at the polls.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I know it really is frustrating to hear the Dems block what should be common sense and take it one step further by stating the the Reps want to block people from voting.

Voting is a right that all citizens have and it is their choice to exercise it. People in prisons should not be allowed to vote since they checked themselves out of society when they broke the law. Illegal aliens should not be allowed to vote because they are not citizens.

Now for the folks who have the legal right to vote yet they do not have a photo ID like say a drivers license give them a voter ID card. The Dems will often say that the elderly, many of whom have given up their license but still want to vote will miss out on the chance to. I say months before the election why not go to the nursing homes, take photos and make up ID for them.
Where there is a will there is a way but the Dems like to shout unfair treatment and voting rights denials.

I also think that the voting age should be raised to 21. We guard our 18 year old kids when it comes to buying alcohol so we should guard against them making a uninformed decision at the polls.
I agree about providing the ID cards and they can be good for years. It would end the silly debate and false attacks.......oh wait. That's it. If agreed to and done, it would end false attacks. Now I think I get it.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,664,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I agree about providing the ID cards and they can be good for years. It would end the silly debate and false attacks.......oh wait. That's it. If agreed to and done, it would end false attacks. Now I think I get it.
it will never end. There will always be something.

Recall the entire saga.

-They had no money to get an ID.
OK, states created "free" ID's.

-They can't get birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc.
-They have no transportation to get to the DMV to get the ID

And it goes on and on and on.

Just vote by mail if you have zero documents to prove who you are.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Isn't it just common sense to require ID, to decide the future of our country? Why not require it? How would it suppress minority turnout?
Then require it to register to vote, in person voter fraud is probably the least amount of voter fraud we will ever have to be concerned about. Requiring a photo ID for something that isn't even an issue is what is called a feel good law because it doesn't actually solve any problems, but it makes you feel good because you think it solves problems.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Just vote by mail if you have zero documents to prove who you are.
And there you have it, the one thing that makes a photo ID completely useless when voting. A photo ID does nothing to prevent any of the fraud you are most concerned about....

Old 02-28-2016, 04:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,664,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
And there you have it, the one thing that makes a photo ID completely useless when voting. A photo ID does nothing to prevent any of the fraud you are most concerned about....
One illegal in Texas did it for 10 years until she got caught trying to vote twice.

She registered in 2004 and got caught in 2014.

FWIW she voted Republican

She checked the box "yes" on the question of citizenship. That's all it takes to register.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
One illegal in Texas did it for 10 years until she got caught trying to vote twice.

She registered in 2004 and got caught in 2014.

FWIW she voted Republican

She checked the box "yes" on the question of citizenship. That's all it takes to register.
Yes, you posted that one, a photo ID wouldn't have caught her because she was legally in the US and married to an American. What caught her was the fact that she was first denied being able to register to vote, then later lied and said she was a citizen. If you want to catch people quicker, then I suggest spending more money on people who investigate voter registration applicants to make sure each one is legally allowed to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies