Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 12:17 PM

24,943 posts, read 13,301,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Doubling down on your failure. There's no evidence that it started in Spain. Everything points to the US or France with the US being the accepted first case.

Can you prove without a doubt that the first case was in Spain? No you can't.
Where did I say it did?

The experts don't know where it started or when it started. If you get Spain out of that then that is your problem. It could have started in any one of a number of countries, more than just the US or France, and it could have started in 1915. Meanwhile, let the experts figure it out and then start campaigning to change the name, or, start campaigning for the name to be changed to a generic name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 12:19 PM

16,669 posts, read 10,852,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
IF TRUMP WAS GOING TO POLITICIZE THE NAME OF THE VIRUS HE SHOULD HAVE CALLED IT

THE WUHAN VIRUS
OR
THE CCP VIRUS

NOT "THE CHINA VIRUS"

yes he may have called it the Wuhan virus a few times but he calls it the China Virus 50,000 more times.
China is a huge country with a huge population and that is not wise, just going to inspire people to blame Chinese people in general

"The Spanish Flu" is another unwise name. The pandemic is conventionally marked as having begun on 4 March 1918, with the recording of the case of Albert Gitchell, an army cook at Camp Funston in Kansas, United States
I completely agree. It seems that until recently, communicable diseases were named after the place in which they originated. Calling it the "China Virus" is way, way too broad, and I wish Trump would knock it off. But calling it the "Wuhan Virus" makes much more sense. And it shouldn't be seen as any more offensive to people from Wuhan as calling the tick-borne sickness "Lyme Disease" is offensive to people from a certain town in Connecticut.

And if the Spanish Flu actually originated at Camp Funston, it should be called the "Camp Funston Flu." (Calling it the "Kansas Flu" is too broad, as is calling it the "Spanish Flu.")

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
If Asian Americans are being targeted as a result of this virus, that's stupid and unfortunate. They had nothing to do with it.
I wholeheartedly agree. It's disgusting that some racist people are using Asian Americans as a scapegoat and are targeting them for something that they had nothing to do with.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:26 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,394,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I’ve seen videos of people harassing Asians. The perpetrators were black, so they can’t mention that part.
Ahhhh...there it is. I knew “the blacks” would somehow make its apparition in a thread about Asians.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:31 PM
bu2

24,296 posts, read 15,137,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
That is not a fact. Only in the US was it first confirmed in Kansas, but a similar illness is now known to previously be known by medical records to been in China, among the Chinese labors transported etc. Read the link I posted.
Almost all the bad flues originate in China. People, birds and pigs live in close proximity and so the viruses jump between species and can be deadly. The Wuhan virus was undoubtedly due to the Chinese virology lab studying bats.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:33 PM

19,963 posts, read 7,943,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I completely agree. It seems that until recently, communicable diseases were named after the place in which they originated. Calling it the "China Virus" is way, way too broad, and I wish Trump would knock it off. But calling it the "Wuhan Virus" makes much more sense. And it shouldn't be seen as any more offensive to people from Wuhan as calling the tick-borne sickness "Lyme Disease" is offensive to people from a certain town in Connecticut.

And if the Spanish Flu actually originated at Camp Funston, it should be called the "Camp Funston Flu." (Calling it the "Kansas Flu" is too broad, as is calling it the "Spanish Flu.")

I wholeheartedly agree. It's disgusting that some racist people are using Asian Americans as a scapegoat and are targeting them for something that they had nothing to do with.
Trump is sloppy with his rhetoric and old school where you could say things like "China Virus" and no one would care or read something into it. Any reasonable person knows he is really saying "CCP" when he says "China". But you're right we have to be so PC today and look for and see offense and racism behind every tree.

Old 10-01-2020, 01:07 PM

3,770 posts, read 1,542,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Trump is sloppy with his rhetoric and old school where you could say things like "China Virus" and no one would care or read something into it. Any reasonable person knows he is really saying "CCP" when he says "China". But you're right we have to be so PC today and look for and see offense and racism behind every tree.
I think it's deliberate. more people, esp his base, can relate to China more than they can to CCP.
I also think he's not the one orchestrating this. his administration (Navarro, Pompeo, campaign advisors, deep state, whoever, etc.) are the ones pulling the strings.
years back, he was praising china and called Xi his friend, when they decided this was not a winning strategy.
heck, he was praising Xi's response to the virus as late as february.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
No, it has not been established. If it has, you would be able to produce verifiable, scientifically reviewed and backed information.

The best chance we have is for the refugee doctor to provide peer reviewed evidence which I am waiting for. I am not ruling it out, but as of right now, we have no evidence of the origins.

Please prove me wrong.
I'm still waiting.

Old 10-01-2020, 01:11 PM

4,495 posts, read 5,231,566 times
Haven’t heard of any Asians being killed in this country on a regular basis due to virus origins. Black Americans would love only having to worry about what Asian Americans are going through.

Virus originated in China and more importantly, the “Chinese” government covered it up, thus greatly magnifying its catastrophic effects. So “China Virus” is a very appropriate moniker IMO.

Btw, take a random sample of 1/10 of American blacks in the top 10% and move them to some other country. They would be the model minority to.

Old 10-01-2020, 02:15 PM

13,560 posts, read 10,441,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Haven’t heard of any Asians being killed in this country on a regular basis due to virus origins. Black Americans would love only having to worry about what Asian Americans are going through.

Virus originated in China and more importantly, the “Chinese” government covered it up, thus greatly magnifying its catastrophic effects. So “China Virus” is a very appropriate moniker IMO.

Btw, take a random sample of 1/10 of American blacks in the top 10% and move them to some other country. They would be the model minority to.
What are you talking about? COVID-19 doesn't care about what ethnicity you are.

Asian Americans have been affected by this just like anyone else - we've experienced deaths from it:

https://aapidata.com/covid19/

Calling it the China Virus is completely unhelpful and is often done for other aims or reasons.

You came out of your mothers' birth canal, but we don't call you a [you-know-what]. Get the drift?

Call it what it's called, COVID-19.

Last edited by silverkris; 10-01-2020 at 02:26 PM..

Old 10-01-2020, 02:45 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,366,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

the study did not provide any evidence that Asian Americans were assaulted - verbally or physically. It didn't try to.

Old 10-01-2020, 02:50 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,366,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastwanted View Post
China already controlled it and things went back to normal for the most part.
Other Asian countries with much higher number of Chinese travelers/expats than the US, such as Korea, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore...all controlled it well too.

The extremely incompetent US government (Trump administration), on the contrary, has lost its reputation in the world. This will have a long-term impact in may aspects.
says the Chinese national. Yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies