Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 12:36 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...se-people.html

this man directly attributes his tirade against ch*nks to trump's tweet on the "china virus". not in NY, and not black.
fortunately, it appears that he was stopped before he could take action.
So you're telling me a sane, non-racist person was converted into that by a tweet?
I'd say it's a lame excuse.

I'm not saying that no Trump supporters are bad people or deranged etc. I'm merely challenging the narrative that is being pushed that it's almost all Trump supporters.

The FBI tracks hate crime stats, why isn't NY releases data on the attacker demographics? Well, that activist knows why...and I know why....and the NYC politicians know why...it just doesn't work with the narrative.

Last edited by Mathguy; 10-13-2020 at 12:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 12:37 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So you're telling me a sane, non-racist person was converted into that by a tweet?

I'm not saying that no Trump supporters are bad people or deranged etc. I'm merely challenging the narrative that is being pushed that it's almost all Trump supporters.
I'll go you one better. It's insignificant. Something that is extremely rare.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
and 3) you couldn't care less that fellow americans are being assaulted by the perpetuating the term even though there are better alternatives

in addition, ebola is not an identifiable characteristic to a people group. it's a river. I'd wager that 95% of the world is not even aware of that, let alone being able to pinpoint the location on a map.

I'll commend you on #1 though. at least you were careful in phrasing that the first major outbreak took place there (or at least the identification of, or the first major response to). nicely done.
Wuhan is no worse than Ebola. If China wants to spin that the US military created it and unleashed it on their people then Wuhan it is.

P.S. I don't support anyone being assaulted, but many of the assaults like the Japanese man, Rick Moranis etc. are occurring without any sort of impetus over being Chinese or the virus etc. It's called "living in NYC around criminals and crazy people". A lot of the narrative is just political fodder or frankly China's own version of the CIA spreading propaganda themselves. Whaaaaaat? But only the US does that.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Their dispute is with the tests. They can sue them... Let them try to make their claim. In the meantime, race-based discrimination by any public or publicly-funded entity is illegal.
All I'm doing is pointing out the end-arounds that schools are using to racially discriminate and I pointed to the tactics being very much like what was done to continue to suppress blacks during Jim Crow.

Notice how some schools are moving away from testing and going towards subjective ill-defined criteria.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:57 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm King View Post
[url="https://thehill.com/homenews/news/518806-use-of-china-virus-led-to-spike-in-anti-asian-bias-study"]https://thehill.com/homenews/news/518806-use-of-china-virus-led-to-spike-in-anti-asian-bias-study[/URL

Calling this the China virus isn't doing anyone favors at all. All it is doing is making life worse for the asian-americans who live and contribute to this nation. The WHO specifically called it COVID-19 because the whole world is in this together, not just China. Trump and the government need to man up and just use science to solve this problem as being xenophobic isn't going get us much good.

P.S. Also Trump bootlicked Xi at the start of this pandemic, its not like he deserves to blame China for all our problems.

Feb. 7, Remarks before Marine One departure:

Everything that comes after this:

Quote:
The study, from professors at the Universities of California — Berkeley and San Francisco
........Is garbage.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:59 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,965 times
Quote:

The FBI tracks hate crime stats, why isn't NY releases data on the attacker demographics? Well, that activist knows why...and I know why....and the NYC politicians know why...it just doesn't work with the narrative.
who knows. it could be enough to push someone over the edge with the rationale being that it was justified coming from the commander-in-chief.

when you control the airwaves and repeat something over and over again, it starts to ring true in people's minds. that's the power of media. that's the reason so many of you believe what you do about the china virus although no one's questioned the source of the information, and no one to this day has presented any undeniable evidence, despite my hundreds of requests on this forum alone.

I'm not sure why it matters who the attacking demographic is. the stats show that crimes again asian have increased since the virus. that's all you need to know. I never claimed it was only trump supporters attacking people, but here on this forum, it is mostly them that continue to use the term "china virus".

Quote:
Wuhan is no worse than Ebola. If China wants to spin that the US military created it and unleashed it on their people then Wuhan it is.

P.S. I don't support anyone being assaulted, but many of the assaults like the Japanese man, Rick Moranis etc. are occurring without any sort of impetus over being Chinese or the virus etc. It's called "living in NYC around criminals and crazy people". A lot of the narrative is just political fodder or frankly China's own version of the CIA spreading propaganda themselves. Whaaaaaat? But only the US does that.
it's far worse because no one knows what an "ebolan" looks like, but everyone knows what a chinese looks like (or thinks they do, hence other east asian groups being targeted).

answer me this - given the known, officially accepted name of COVID, why would you not use it instead, if it could mean the difference between another person/group being vilified and attacked?

Last edited by blahblahyoutoo; 10-13-2020 at 02:21 PM..

Old 10-13-2020, 01:06 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
You seem to not realize that it is common to name a disease after where it came from/location of the first known case or after the population of an area of the first known case.

The following are diseases that were named after population or place...

West Nile Virus
Guinea Worm
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
Lyme Disease
Ross River Fever
Omsk Hemorrhagic Fever
Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever
Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) (camel flu)
Marburg Virus Disease
Norovirus
Zika Fever
Japanese Encephalitis
German Measles
Spanish Flu
Lassa Fever
Legionnaire’s Disease
Valley Fever

I'm sure you're outraged enough to not use the names of these diseases, right? Why are you not starting threads about these diseases, too?
Hong Kong Flu (I had that one.)
Asiatic Flu 1957-1958 (Mom had that one.)

I think people are more likely to "USE" something like the "virus" name to justify their already racist feelings. When I was in Basic Training in 1975, we had females who shunned in a major way, another female who was of Japanese descent coming in from Hawaii, because "My dad fought them in WWII." So, "reaching" to justify racism isn't new. Being a racist is ingrained in one's soul and is not born of a virus being called by a name associated with a certain race. More liberal garbage!

Old 10-13-2020, 01:37 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,788,390 times
Beware of CCP propaganda. Their American wumaos are playing the racist card to divert attention away from the fact their virus killed and destroyed lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzY8SXsSWYs

Last edited by davidt1; 10-13-2020 at 01:49 PM..

Old 10-13-2020, 01:41 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
from your own link:
"According to Daily Mail, the WHO said on Tuesday that China has welcomed the organization’s experts to study more about the deadly coronavirus that has spread from Wuhan to several other countries."

they're allowing the WHO to conduct the investigation but denying the US. (I can hear it already, the WHO is being paid off by the CPC)
why would they trust the US who they haven't been on friendly terms since the trade war, and have been facing harsh accusations about the virus?

more importantly, no one has provided concrete evidence since I last asked for it.
if it's so plentiful, surely someone can easily produce it. shirley...
that link was Jan 29. as of Feb 7, no outside science experts had been to China

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/h...rus-china.html

I haven't seen any article that details scientists actually going to China, early or recently, in order to learn from and assist the research being done in China.

do you have anything more current that enlightens us that yes, the Chinese government has cooperated and welcomed assistance?

Old 10-13-2020, 01:48 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Beware of CCP propaganda. Their American wumaos are playing the racist card to divert attention to the fact their virus killed and destroyed lives.
Yep and to be unaccountable and pass the blame on Trump and Americans. Two can play it that way. If they don't care about death and damage they caused, then I don't care about their crying about street toughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies