Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 11:23 PM

3,770 posts, read 1,539,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The FBI includes information on the attacker, the fact these guys aren't is thus obviously suspect.

Kinda like how when someone beats the crap out of the Japanese jazz pianist...you have to go to their media for an idenitification of the attacker.

You don't just get to handwave that off as secondary given that the attacker is indicative of the motivation. (ie.. trucker maga hat wear vs. black 18 yo...hmmm which is listening to Trump?)

Lastly, we have no benchmark against the *before* gee....let me guess....you're asian and in NY and get in an argument with somebody? Fahgetaboutit....they throw around ethnic, orientation or whatever slur they can find. It's NY where a giant rat carrying off an egg-mcMuffin is a celebrity. It's a tough town and something they carry as a badge of honor.

really, is that the best you can do?
do you honestly think that only trump supporters have heard the term china virus thrown around? trump commands a lot of airtime and it's it's all over the airwaves, globally.
not once have I suggested that only trump supporters were doing the attacking, because it's irrelevant.

Quote:
In short, it's skeevy to imply that there was almost no racial slurs being thrown around before this lmao.
this is even weaker than your first argument.
I never claimed this. put down the strawman and look at the rate of increase, and watch some of the videos where people are being beat up, spat on, told to go home to their country - with reference to the virus, and not your garden variety racially motivated.

i'm sure covid race related attacks were/are happening regardless of trump, but we have evidence of it happening directly due to trump constantly calling it the china virus.

Quote:
Since I obliged your request to respond. I just can't wait to here your take on Ren the billionaire his disappearance and re-emergence to "corruption" charges after decades doing business and insulting Xi. So do tell? Would love to see you disprove your Wumao label....let's hear it.
firstly, I know nothing about this. provide a link.
secondly, what does this have to do with the thread? nothing.
lastly.... given the known, officially accepted name of COVID, why would you not use it instead, if it could mean the difference between another person/group being vilified and attacked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 08:51 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,394,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Chinese virus.

You know, because it’s from China.

How dare we name a virus based on where it originated like the Spanish Flu.

Seems to me this isn't the first virus to come out of china. Should doctors and scientists simply group them all together and just call them the china flu even when they are completely different viruses? Same goes for the US, or Europe. How stupid would that be?

Old 10-25-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So, there is nothing that China did during the early ongoing of the outbreak wrong? So they can't be criticized or we're just doing it out of racism? That's an incredibly ridiculous stance to take.

I guess if you have any criticisms of Trumps handling of the pandemic we can just blithely dismiss you has hating white people? That would not be a rational stance now would it.

Just whipping out accusations of racism because people see things differently or perhaps are more informed is frankly pretty offensive. I'd think after your whole "hysterectomy genocide" thread imploded that you'd calm down a little bit swinging your racism wand at everyone.
Im only going to respond to the portion i bolded because the rest is just rambling nonsense.

I've seen many presidents condemn and initiate sanctions against nations that commit some wrongdoing. I've never once see a president call another country names, and thought, mission accomplished. That's something a 6 year old might do. You think calling covid19, the china virus, wuhan virus or kung flu hurts their fweelings? All it does is stoke tensions here in america. While I don't think it was intended as a dog whistle to his wacky supporters to go out and assault asians, many will see it as license to do so, without repercussions, and Trump knows this.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:16 PM

15,291 posts, read 7,806,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
While I don't think it was intended as a dog whistle to his wacky supporters to go out and assault asians, many will see it as license to do so, without repercussions, and Trump knows this.
Given that it is not Trump supporters who are assaulting Asians, let alone doing so without repercussions, I completely agree with the bold.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Given that it is not Trump supporters who are assaulting Asians, let alone doing so without repercussions, I completely agree with the bold.
I don't know if they are or aren't and I never said they were, nice try though. You showed effort.

Old 10-27-2020, 12:00 AM

3,770 posts, read 1,539,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
1. You can't say this with 100% certainty in 100% of the cases
2. It doesn't matter whose side is doing the assault. What matters is that it's happening, and trump's rhetoric isn't helping

Old 10-27-2020, 12:40 AM

33,635 posts, read 12,825,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm King View Post
https://thehill.com/homenews/news/51...ian-bias-study

Calling this the China virus isn't doing anyone favors at all. All it is doing is making life worse for the asian-americans who live and contribute to this nation. The WHO specifically called it COVID-19 because the whole world is in this together, not just China. Trump and the government need to man up and just use science to solve this problem as being xenophobic isn't going get us much good.

P.S. Also Trump bootlicked Xi at the start of this pandemic, its not like he deserves to blame China for all our problems.

Feb. 7, Remarks before Marine One departure:
We have a President who is petty, childish, and unpresidential. These findings probably don't surprise many .

Old 10-27-2020, 12:45 AM

33,635 posts, read 12,825,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Im only going to respond to the portion i bolded because the rest is just rambling nonsense.

I've seen many presidents condemn and initiate sanctions against nations that commit some wrongdoing. I've never once see a president call another country names, and thought, mission accomplished. That's something a 6 year old might do. You think calling covid19, the china virus, wuhan virus or kung flu hurts their fweelings? All it does is stoke tensions here in america. While I don't think it was intended as a dog whistle to his wacky supporters to go out and assault asians, many will see it as license to do so, without repercussions, and Trump knows this.
I don't either, but I do believe it was intended as a general dog whistle of affinity.

Old 10-27-2020, 01:08 AM

8,996 posts, read 11,882,845 times
The Wuhan virus killed a million people and devastated economies, but that's not a problem. Calling it a Chinese virus because that's where it came from (like Australian cheese, or French wine) is bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxjzadd6Kwo

Old 10-27-2020, 01:23 AM

15,291 posts, read 7,806,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
1. You can't say this with 100% certainty in 100% of the cases
No kidding?

Quote:
2. It doesn't matter whose side is doing the assault. What matters is that it's happening, and trump's rhetoric isn't helping
Asians are more likely to be assaulted by blacks than by members of other groups. There were actually more black on Asian violent crimes in 2018 than Asian on Asian. And if there is an uptick in violence against Asians in 2020, it is likely just a subset of the overall increase in violence stemming from the BLM protests and the marginalization of police. I doubt many of these urban thugs are beating people up because they read a tweet from Trump about the China virus. There just doing what they enjoy doing, with more freedom recently than usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies