Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 12:57 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I was excited to see that, at the beginning. Woohoo, what's her plan, I thought.

I watched it twice. She had NOTHING to suggest as a solution. NOTHING. She just pointed out what a rat hole the community is, and noted the city was run by democrats.

I was hoping for something wise. Investment in black businesses? Concrete plan for excellence in schools? Encouraging ownership of buildings by the tenants themselves? Coalescing a group of leaders in each neighborhood to have monthly crime watch meetings?

Or . . . SOMETHING that would help.

I encourage anyone to watch this video, which appears compelling at first blush, and try to discern what this woman might do to make change. She is a gorgeous woman, with my gosh lovely legs and she walks well on those stiletto heels, too.

What's your plan, lady?
Basically everything you outlined as a "solution" has been tried and failed repeatedly. Investment in black business? What does that even mean? We spend billions on public education, but it's never enough for the greed crazed public employee unions. Tenants owning their building? What does mean. How? What money to buy the building?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 01:00 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Really? How's that working out for them?

Quite clearly, not so well.
I mean not to well in Baltimore but even shootout alley Chicago is nothing like it was in the 90s, the massive decrease of crime since the 1990s in cities happened under mostly democratic leadership. I don't think it was policy driven, and rather a cultural/societal change that lead to the decrease but a democrat mayor didn't stop crime for falling of a cliff in nearly every city except Baltimore and Saint Louis. Then their are things the black community generally wants, the decriminalization of drugs, Abortion rights, more investment in black businesses, i.e a black agenda in general and democrats are the only ones who delivered on this locally, Nationally I heard both Bush and Trump did stuff towards black businesses.

So while crime is still high, crime isn't the only issue in black communities, and a plethora of other issues have been addressed by Democrats and many of them rectified or in the process of being rectified.

Old 08-18-2020, 01:00 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Basically everything you outlined as a "solution" has been tried and failed repeatedly.
Can you point to a program in inner cities where they have tried to get tenants to earn ownership of their building or unit?

I've never heard of it, and couldn't find anything dealing with that on google.

Old 08-18-2020, 01:02 PM

2,400 posts, read 754,790 times
Quote:
I was excited to see that, at the beginning. Woohoo, what's her plan, I thought.

I watched it twice. She had NOTHING to suggest as a solution. NOTHING. She just pointed out what a rat hole the community is, and noted the city was run by democrats.

I was hoping for something wise. Investment in black businesses? Concrete plan for excellence in schools? Encouraging ownership of buildings by the tenants themselves? Coalescing a group of leaders in each neighborhood to have monthly crime watch meetings?

I encourage anyone to watch this video, which appears compelling at first blush, and try to discern what this woman might do to make change. She is a gorgeous woman, with my gosh lovely legs and she walks well on those stiletto heels, too.

What's your plan, lady?
Good point. I absolutely love the ad and the message but what is her message? Will she have the courage to advocate for the end of the welfare state, holding absent fathers accountable for their children?

Old 08-18-2020, 01:02 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I mean not to well in Baltimore but even shootout alley Chicago is nothing like it was in the 90s, the massive decrease of crime since the 1990s in cities happened under mostly democratic leadership. I don't think it was policy driven, and rather a cultural/societal change that lead to the decrease but a democrat mayor didn't stop crime for falling of a cliff in nearly every city except Baltimore and Saint Louis. Then their are things the black community generally wants, the decriminalization of drugs, Abortion rights, more investment in black businesses, i.e a black agenda in general and democrats are the only ones who delivered on this locally, Nationally I heard both Bush and Trump did stuff towards black businesses.

So while crime is still high, crime isn't the only issue in black communities, and a plethora of other issues have been addressed by Democrats and many of them rectified or in the process of being rectified.
If the problems have supposedly been addressed by the Democrat leadership, why are the inner-cities still crime- and poverty-ridden hell holes? Why is all the worst violence in Democrat-run cities?

Old 08-18-2020, 01:07 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
Good point. I absolutely love the ad and the message but what is her message? Will she have the courage to advocate for the end of the welfare state, holding absent fathers accountable for their children?
The Illinois State Legislature Republicans tried to pass a law that the father's name must be listed on a child's birth certificate before the child and its mother could be eligible for any public assistance benefits (so the state could go after the father for reimbursement instead of forcing taxpayers to pay), but the Democrats voted it down.

Old 08-18-2020, 01:09 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:

What's your plan, lady?
First off, it's getting people, particularly those on the left to become aware. That is the most important thing, since the truth is so far buried in BS rhetoric. Acknowledge the issues, then look for the root causes.

Some people do seem to get it. Skip ahead to 6:00 in this video, and this young lady addresses it pretty well.
https://youtu.be/k0IFCvBsdtU

Old 08-18-2020, 01:10 PM

2,400 posts, read 754,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The Illinois State Legislature Republicans tried to pass a law that the father's name must be listed on a child's birth certificate before the child and its mother could be eligible for any public assistance benefits (so the state could go after the father for reimbursement instead of forcing taxpayers to pay), but the Democrats voted it down.
Personally, until a child is 18 if they commit a felony their parents should have to serve time for it. Put the kid in Juvie and the parents in supermax. I promise you they would become more involved their their child’s life or maybe they would take advantage of free birth control.

Old 08-18-2020, 01:18 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Where is the substance? What does she propose to do?

What do Republicans ever propose to do?

There is a reason most large cities have gone over to the Democrats, and it is no conspiracy. Conservative Republicans do not address the core issues these people face. I remember very well when Republicans were competitive in most major cities all over the country. They lost that competitive edge, they lost it all on their own ... but why?

Democrats try. Republicans do not.

Blaming the Democrats for the city's problems is like blaming the doctor when you have a chronic condition. The one trying to help didn't create the problems, but they will attempt to resolve them anyway.

To be clear, most of the ailments of the inner cities can be traced to factories moving out of the city, often out of the state, and often leaving dangerous abandoned structures behind. There is no law that can stop that. Companies don't want to invest in demolition of older structures and replacing them in the same city with the same employees, they look at reinvestment as an opportunity to clear out and leave their mistakes and liabilities behind. This practice accelerated tremendously as the Interstate Highway System expanded across the country.

Urban job opportunities subsequently dwindle as does the tax base and eventually the average wage falls as people scramble to get whatever work they can scratch up, bankruptcies follow. The larger businesses mostly leave cities for the smaller towns (sometimes to suburbs, sometimes across the state and sometimes hundreds of miles further). I have been a part of that myself in companies I worked for and I know how that goes.

The ownership of the larger businesses almost universally support the Republican party. They get real estate tax credits for new construction in a rural location and can pay the farmers non-union lower wages and flimsier benefits too. The companies don't give a damn about the cities they left behind, and if we were all being honest neither do you Trumpies posting here.

So I ask again, what does she propose to do for Baltimore? Here she proposes nothing, it's just a promotional video to use as a fundraiser from out of state donors with no substance nor policy proposals. This is just another version of Trump's "what have you got to lose?" from the last election. Well Trump's had almost four years, he never proposed an economic plan to revitalize the cities his people live in and he's effectively done nothing.

Old 08-18-2020, 01:20 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
F orget that.. The only lives I care about put their feet under my kitchen table and yes a few that group are indeed Black.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies