Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2019, 03:20 PM

19,846 posts, read 12,110,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Haircuts are around $30 for men, towards of $95 for women. A gym membership so you can shower is at least $50/mo. And no one would claim that rents are "ridiculously cheap" where jobs actually are.

If you've always been lucky enough to be wealthy, it will understandably be difficult for you to understand that costs you see as trivial can make or break people who are less fortunate.

Nonsense, there are several national chains that specialize in cheap haircuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 03:29 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,177,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/pr...ays-2019-01-07

The IRS is closed down too. Guess I won't be able to pay my quarterly self-employment taxes anytime soon.
I'd recommend against that approach!

Old 01-11-2019, 03:31 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
I started a topic here last month on what happens when the food stamps run out.

At that time, the Trump haters didn't believe it would happen.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:41 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,937 times
Quote:
Haircuts are around $30 for men, towards of $95 for women.

SMH.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:58 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Nonsense, there are several national chains that specialize in cheap haircuts.
Yes, but it'll look cheap. I worked at one company where the hiring managers routinely turned down candidates for things like unflattering haircuts/lipstick, bad complexions, cheap looking clothes. I even overheard them laughing at the candidates' looks after they left the building. And these were just for generic office jobs.

At the time, I thought they were just being shallow betches, but the reality is, people judge on factors like that. It's just a fact of life.

I mean it's better to get your hair butchered at Supercuts than to just let it grow gross and mangy, but it's not enough to optimize your chances of getting hired.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:01 PM

30,436 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
The mentally ill, handicapped, disabled, etc. should get nothing? We have millions of them.
This is number 3 post were i said look above at what i posted. I typed, no one that does not try to work should get anything. But if a hard working fam falls on hard times then that would be fine for a short while until they are back on their feet pete.

But if your gonna be lazy daszy and live off the GOV you get nothing.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:05 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times

Riots Across America - The Great Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Interesting video that deserves a thread of its own.
For those that have not watched the video, you have great depression era riots with thousands of people smashing in windows and destroying business and other buildings and the military is called in to crush them and occurred all over the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The kicker to that believe it or not, is that is a time in u.s. social history, that if a person fell on hard times, into poverty --- they blamed themselves for it. They believed they were not right with God, their poverty was His punishment of them. (85 years ago) Just yesterday ...

If people haven't explored the Depression Era via history channel or the recounts of History of that era through you tube videos (again through historians), I advise to do so. It was a time that Americans trusted their government and a time they really didn't know very much about the government other than where to buy stamps and mail a letter. Just prior to that it was the roaring 20's ... then boom ...

I get the feeling some one is going to get a bright idea about the safety programs and the American people are going to second that bright idea about those programs, then later to realize, maybe that wasn't such a bright idea after all. Then I think, the government wouldn't do that, would they? May be ... dunno, but interesting era the great depression of when people had to learn how to deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Do you realize that there is no history on The History Channel? I suppose you are convinced the Great Depression was caused by outer space aliens? Where do you live that there were no poor farms, poor houses, or work houses to exploit orphans and abandoned children? There's your fictitious 19th century Utopia.
Rather than make a random post, watch video first, then read the poster's comment, then read my reply to that poster ... then post. May want to review my original post, as well. I'm not even going to try and make sense of your post Larry. And also, take the usage of the word 'you' out of the response, if you would like me to reply ... just saying. btw: keep in mind that you do not know my age.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:02 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Haircuts are around $30 for men, towards of $95 for women. A gym membership so you can shower is at least $50/mo. And no one would claim that rents are "ridiculously cheap" where jobs actually are.

If you've always been lucky enough to be wealthy, it will understandably be difficult for you to understand that costs you see as trivial can make or break people who are less fortunate.
Where do they charge $30 for a haircut? In downtown San Francisco?

Old 01-12-2019, 06:54 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Hello... Great Clips? Supercuts? FAR below the prices you list. And many park/recreational district facilities have locker rooms/showers that residents can use for free.

Again, I'm seeing a lot of BS excuses that can easily be circumvented if one actually had any initiative and motivation.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:57 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
The minimum payment of what? Who gives you a credit card with no income source?
Usually, that starts with store specific credit cards.

Quote:
How does one GET a job or a credit card if one has zero dollars?
That's a lame excuse. Literally millions of high school students get part-time and full-time summer jobs. How do they do it? And if they can do it, there's no reason whatsoever that anyone else can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies