Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 03:23 PM

8,260 posts, read 3,513,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
In the years before I needed snap, I was a coupon clipper. Time came and I needed help, (in between jobs) and was still a coupon clipper. Cashiers would look at me strange and I'm thinking may be people don't realize, they can stretch that allotment by using coupons. Perhaps I'm a rare breed. Also, there use to be day old bread places, but I'm thinking that is a thing of the past. Getting four loaves of bread for the price of one ... was pretty cool. Plus fruit pies and other snacks for the kids lunches ...

It is rather difficult today to save a dollar when all the ways one use to do it, drys up.

Meal planning though, still works. Casseroles, helps to revitalize yesterday's meal ... Beans and rice, as always, still works.

Some folks are hardwired into ways to save, others, as you say, not so much.

My parents and my grandparents lived through the Great Depression ... there were somethings they taught, I paid attention. Many things we went without growing up, that other kids had ... but one thing is for certain, we never missed a meal. I do qualify today for assistance, but the hassle that comes with that, I would rather eat the beans and rice w/cornbread, seven days a week, than go through all that again.
I used to use coupons, but around here it's rare to find decent coupons. I used to end up paying hardly anything for things when I could still get good coupons. Now the coupons that come out in the paper are things like you have to buy 2 or 3 items and save a quarter and stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 05:47 PM

34,082 posts, read 17,134,198 times
March 2019 and beyond food stamps are questionable.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:57 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,609,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I used to use coupons, but around here it's rare to find decent coupons. I used to end up paying hardly anything for things when I could still get good coupons. Now the coupons that come out in the paper are things like you have to buy 2 or 3 items and save a quarter and stuff like that.
I use to buy the Sunday newspaper just for the coupons. But like you said, all of that has changed now. A family member back when I used facebook tried to hook me into online coupons. I established an account, but the account never yielded anything useful for me. I don't remember now where it was I went ... I just looked at Groupon, and I don't think that was it. idk ... with print media having a difficult time selling their papers, if they would put the coupons back in 'em, I'd buy their Sundays, again ...

Quote:
I used to end up paying hardly anything for things when I could still get good coupons.
Same here ... 30 years ago went grocery shopping with coupons in hand, spent 80.00 for 160.00 in grocery items and then they had 'green stamps' double day and there was a 'green stamp' store to trade those stamps for household items. I was pregnant and furnished the baby's nursery with a mobile, a bumper pad and sheets for crib using those 'green stamps' ... I always bought grocery on Tuesdays and it helped out soooo much.

That has gone too, by the way of the day ol bread places ...

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 01-19-2019 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: added wiki link ...

Old 01-20-2019, 03:53 AM

11,858 posts, read 5,835,602 times
I've couponed and refunded forever. Even when we were on food stamps - I used my coupons and didn't waste a cent. I haven't bought the paper in months. With a price of $4 - I can't even find $4 worth of coupons in it. TG for Aldi's, Price Rite and Sav A Lot

I do have to say 35 yrs ago when we applied for Food Stamps when my husband was laid off for 3 months - the woman was brutal. Very indignant and nasty - I was embarrassed enough as it was to need gov't assistance - I didn't need her attitude.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:27 AM

34,082 posts, read 17,134,198 times
I would bet March does not get funded. Simply put, time is running out.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:14 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,966,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Not all jobs are intended to fully support an individual or family. Many low wage and/or part time positions are suitable for students who rely some other incomes or those supplementing a main or additional income.
That used to apply in the past before we converted into a service economy.
In the past, you had nice stepping stone or hiearchy of jobs.
Maybe 10% were service related another 30% manufacturing related, and then trades and white collar jobs.

Today, probably 50% is low pay service related jobs.
The country should be burned to the ground when it reaches 70% since we only exist to serve the rich.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:57 PM

8,260 posts, read 3,513,625 times
People who usually get re-certified in February for March probably will just be cut off and have to reapply all over again. But if it stays shut down they won't get to ever reapply for benefits.

Around here you are only allowed to go to one food bank a month (and you only get a few days worth of food) and you have to show proof that you're eligible for food stamps to get serviced. So, unless they change their rules, people who get cut off won't even be able to get assistance at a food bank around here.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 217 times
As others have pointed out, January food stamps are being paid on time. If you have not received your January payment, it is probably unrelated to the shutdown and perhaps another issue with your benefits (maybe you need to recertify). February food stamps are being paid early, by January 20th. That is after the USDA had said they were unsure of February payment and only had money to pay 64% of benefits. They now found a loophole that allows them to pay February food stamps but it all has to be paid by January 20th. This article ([url]https://foodstampsnow.com/how-the-government-shutdown-affects-food-stamps/[/url]) explains it all in detail.

The danger is that some beneficiaries my think the extra money they are getting in January for February is a bonus and may spend it all quickly. That will be a mistake as there will be no payment in February regardless of whether the shutdown ends sooner or not.

Also, if the shutdown runs into March, no one knows what will happen. The USDA definitely does not have the money to pay any benefits in March so food stamp holders may have to stretch the money they get in January to last them perhaps till March if this shutdown continues. This is a real concern as there are 38 million people on food stamps. This local news report ([url]https://wamu.org/story/19/01/20/food-assistance-payments-came-early-but-have-to-last-until-march/[/url]) from Montana illustrates the concern.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:41 PM

19,858 posts, read 12,134,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Download Ibotta. My first time using it I paid $23. at the register and got an Ibotta credit for $22. It can be redeemed for cash back or one of dozens of available gift cards. It can be stacked with coupons as well as buy one, get one free deals (my first trip).

No need to buy the paper. I register with a few of my favorite brands like Organic Valley and they have regular emails with about $6.00 of coupons, buy when on sale and stack with Ibotta, 10% extra off sale for Prime + 6% back from Amex.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:01 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,598,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Download Ibotta. My first time using it I paid $23. at the register and got an Ibotta credit for $22. It can be redeemed for cash back or one of dozens of available gift cards. It can be stacked with coupons as well as buy one, get one free deals (my first trip).

No need to buy the paper. I register with a few of my favorite brands like Organic Valley and they have regular emails with about $6.00 of coupons, buy when on sale and stack with Ibotta, 10% extra off sale for Prime + 6% back from Amex.
Thanks for sharing, checking this out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies