Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 11:10 AM

36,998 posts, read 31,270,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
If a business is not paying their employees a wage that does not require the government to supplement their earnings by providing health care and other social welfare benefits in order for their full-time employee to work there then it is not a sustainable business model. The employer is in essence receiving a government benefit at the expense of taxpayers.
Not all jobs are intended to fully support an individual or family. Many low wage and/or part time positions are suitable for students who rely some other incomes or those supplementing a main or additional income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 11:54 AM

19,931 posts, read 12,454,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Not all jobs are intended to fully support an individual or family. Many low wage and/or part time positions are suitable for students who rely some other incomes or those supplementing a main or additional income.
When we moved to being a service economy we got stuck with a glut of low wage jobs having replaced good manufacturing jobs. The laid off QA inspector from the factory goes to unemployment they send him to work at Walmart. I don't mind my taxes going to supplemental food stamps for the poor guy that got such a raw deal.

I used to be against government benefits for the most part, until the economy was changed into what it is. Plenty of jobs, most of them are low wage and depressing dead ends. Then you have some people who seem very overpaid, pushing up the cost of living for all of us.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:25 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,635,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
February food stamps may be issued early. March benefits are still iffy.

https://www.freshebt.com/government-...tamp-benefits/
They were issued early in several states. This created some problems, at least in Tennessee. The deadline for people who needed to submit paperwork for February benefits was moved up at the last minute to Jan. 14. This decision was announced on Jan. 11, but many did not learn of it until the morning of the 14th, when local news outlets reported that people who did know were in a panic about meeting the new deadline. Undoubtedly, there are still families who didn't find out until it was too late, and will get a nasty shock when they get no benefits in February.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:43 PM

30,592 posts, read 24,013,602 times
As I stated in another thread, and I think this was the thread I said I would come back to if I found anything out, the person I know (kind of know) who gets food stamps said they got their February allotment early. So they have whatever they got for January and whatever they get for February, sitting on their card. They said nothing about March.

And then the site that was linked above by CatGirl says that overall, March may not show up if the shut down isn't over by then.

Here's my issue with that:

The Farm Act was signed on December 20th, 2018, before the shut down. About 80% of that money goes towards SNAP. The money is sent to the states. The states then dole out the money from there. If the money was already sent to the states, why are they acting like people aren't going to get their benefits...unless it's a scare tactic to push people to start getting antsy.

From my understanding, and clearly a few others on this site, this has all already been funded by the Feds for the forseeable future - the states should already have the money. So why would they then turn around and say that people may not get their March benefits if the shut down continues.

Something isn't adding up here. If the states got their money, the shut down does not affect the electronic transfer of funds onto peoples EBT cards on the selected date they are to get those funds.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:17 PM

8,497 posts, read 3,635,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Yes, but the renewal applications for retail grocery outlets have been delayed due to shut down. Also they have been cautioned to spend wisely ... make it last.
Yes. A lot of people I know on food stamps don't know how to do that, but some do.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:20 PM

8,497 posts, read 3,635,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
They were issued early in several states. This created some problems, at least in Tennessee. The deadline for people who needed to submit paperwork for February benefits was moved up at the last minute to Jan. 14. This decision was announced on Jan. 11, but many did not learn of it until the morning of the 14th, when local news outlets reported that people who did know were in a panic about meeting the new deadline. Undoubtedly, there are still families who didn't find out until it was too late, and will get a nasty shock when they get no benefits in February.
The whole thing is messed up. Food banks are going to be hit hard while this is going on. Some food banks already run out of food.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:47 PM

34,301 posts, read 17,416,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
When we moved to being a service economy we got stuck with a glut of low wage jobs having replaced good manufacturing jobs. The laid off QA inspector from the factory goes to unemployment they send him to work at Walmart. I don't mind my taxes going to supplemental food stamps for the poor guy that got such a raw deal.

I am ok with short term (months) of aid, provided he immediately take part in more training and education, using student loans to do so if needed.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:11 PM
miu

17,721 posts, read 40,330,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

I used to be against government benefits for the most part, until the economy was changed into what it is. Plenty of jobs, most of them are low wage and depressing dead ends. Then you have some people who seem very overpaid, pushing up the cost of living for all of us.
Real estate prices have jumped up due to foreign investment in luxury properties. Something needs to be done about that. Americans need affordable homes first, over rich foreigners who leave those places unoccupied for the majority of the time.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:21 PM

30,592 posts, read 24,013,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Real estate prices have jumped up due to foreign investment in luxury properties. Something needs to be done about that. Americans need affordable homes first, over rich foreigners who leave those places unoccupied for the majority of the time.
They also snap up all of the apartment buildings and turn them into condos, pricing out a lot of people. That happened so much when I lived in Miami Beach. When I got there in 2005, I was able to get a decent sized 1 bdrm apt 2 blocks from the beach, and I had a really nice breeze from Biscayne Bay, which really helped with electric bills....

Anyway, I eventually moved on to another location on the beach. While I was there, so many apartment buildings all around the neighborhood were being bought up, tenants kicked out, and prices jacked up for the same stinking unit. All they did was paint the walls, add some new appliances, and tripled the price for the unit.

When I look at Google Maps now, I can see my first apartment in Miami Beach - it's now a condo. Sure, I will admit that the outside grounds look so. much. better. than they did when I was there - they have actually taken care of the grounds and planted some things, but the entire building is now a condo. I looked it up. There's no way I could afford that.

And across the street, they put up 2 new high rise condo buildings, completely blocking the bay breezes and the view - but not a one of them added any fricken parking.

Logically, I understand, emotionally, it pi$$es me off - and in the end, they hurt a LOT of people in the process.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:57 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,659,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Yes. A lot of people I know on food stamps don't know how to do that, but some do.
In the years before I needed snap, I was a coupon clipper. Time came and I needed help, (in between jobs) and was still a coupon clipper. Cashiers would look at me strange and I'm thinking may be people don't realize, they can stretch that allotment by using coupons. Perhaps I'm a rare breed. Also, there use to be day old bread places, but I'm thinking that is a thing of the past. Getting four loaves of bread for the price of one ... was pretty cool. Plus fruit pies and other snacks for the kids lunches ...

It is rather difficult today to save a dollar when all the ways one use to do it, drys up.

Meal planning though, still works. Casseroles, helps to revitalize yesterday's meal ... Beans and rice, as always, still works.

Some folks are hardwired into ways to save, others, as you say, not so much.

My parents and my grandparents lived through the Great Depression ... there were somethings they taught, I paid attention. Many things we went without growing up, that other kids had ... but one thing is for certain, we never missed a meal. I do qualify today for assistance, but the hassle that comes with that, I would rather eat the beans and rice w/cornbread, seven days a week, than go through all that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies