Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 03:31 PM

6,783 posts, read 4,495,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Of COURSE you can't. Do you REALLY think the left leaning MSM is going to report any negatives agains Balsey-Ford unless forced to? C'mon, really?

I just saw where Connie Chung has said she was sexually assaulted. So we're suppose to believe her on just HER word. So If you're somebody, or use to be somebody, your word means something.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:32 PM

53,609 posts, read 35,559,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I googled "sworn statement alleges Ford lied under oath", and I went to the CNN and Slate websites. I find no mention of this "story" anywhere except the right wing tabloid press.

Can you provide a link, please?
they were in the text you quoted. in blue.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:33 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,669,462 times
Quote:
Well then Ginsberg better pack up and go home...
I don’t recall her ever being accused of sexual harassment.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:44 PM

13,378 posts, read 22,067,727 times
Quote:
Of COURSE you can't. Do you REALLY think the left leaning MSM is going to report any negatives agains Balsey-Ford unless forced to? C'mon, really?
You really think they wouldn't? C'mon, really? https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/03/u...kavanaugh.html

The letter is pretty weak. You have both Ford and McLean saying that coaching never happened, so it's two against one. Plus the letter reads like a hit piece with this boyfriend throwing the kitchen sink at her with allegations of cheating, credit card fraud, etc, none of which has anything to do with Kavanaugh but is clearly an attempt to impeach her character. Why?

Finally, it's clear that Mitchell knew of the coaching story before the date on the letter. So Republicans had a dialog with the boyfriend before he wrote the letter. Highly suspicious. He's most likely getting paid for his story.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:46 PM

20,062 posts, read 12,353,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
As often stated, I am a moderate, and so I do not really care who is our next Supreme Court Justice, so long as he or she is capable, fair and intelligent. I also do not know at this point whether Kavanaugh or Ford is the more truthful about what did or did not happen between them.

However, that being said, I do not think we need another (or even one) born-wealthy and over-privileged elitist on the Supreme Court, and I am certainly not impressed by how Mr. Kavanaugh has handled the questioning.

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/ar...ourt-justices/

Since you bring up wealth, this is a list from a couple of years ago of SCJ by net worth. RBG is by far the wealthiest, followed by Breyer then Sotomayor.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:49 PM

38,496 posts, read 26,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Kavanaugh really needs to focus on his mental illness and alcoholism before thinking about being on the Supreme Court. This is a lifelong appointment, and you really have to be at your best to hold that position.
I also worry for Kavanaugh's wife. He reportedly gets belligerent when he drinks and he self reports his love of beer.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:52 PM

17,788 posts, read 9,516,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
So now there are three separate issues: (1) Kavanaugh's emotionality (which I don't necessarily have a problem with) ... (2) Kavanaugh's inherent partisan bias, based on HIS statements (no firm opinion,) ... and (3) Oddball comments that the Dems deserve revenge (disagree but certainly have no basis to believe certain CD posters and Kavanaugh think alike).
I have zero interest in a "far right judge" and think a Justice along the lines of Sotomayor in the opposite direction would be an abomination. She is an embarrassment to the Supreme Court - any Judge that was overturned as many times as she was has no business being on the Supreme Court.

The early word was that Judge Kavanaugh would "overturn Roe v Wade -- Hysteria ensued.

Hard for me to get too worked up about a new Justice "overturning" a ruling from 1974 -- especially since every Republican Nominated Justice has gone through EXACTLY the Hair on Fire accusations about Roe v Wade .... all the way back to Clarence Thomas ...... it's still there.

This is a case that should be of interest to you (and maybe some others who are interested in Roe v Wade). Nobody like every decision that ANY Judge makes - but on the entirety of his cases and body of work on the 4th Circuit there is high approval from most Lawyers and people involved.

Consider this .... IF there were real Bias in Judge Kavanaugh's Opinions on the Federal Court over a 12 year period ... THAT is what the Senate Hearings would have been discussing - and they DID NOT.
That is the best indication that he is a FAIR Judge who follows Law & Constitution.

It's also why the discussion was all about "attempted rape, groping, ice, beer, blackouts, Gang rape, drugging punch" -- they couldn't go after him on his record - Nothing there to go after.

United States Court of Appeals FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA CIRCUIT
Case: 08-5422 Document: 1206886 Filed: 09/18/2009

The Case was Federal Election Commission ~V~ Emily's List

Date: September 18, 2009
Per Curiam
Opinion for the court filed by Circuit Judge Kavanaugh, with whom Circuit Judge Henderson joins, and with whom Circuit Judge Brown joins as to Part IV except footnotes 17, 18, and 20.
Opinion concurring in part filed by Circuit Judge Brown.

The FEC sued Emily's List over Campaign Donations - Emily's List won and it was appealed to the Circuit Court. Judge Kavanaugh wrote the decision ..... in favor of Emily's List.

For those that don't know - Emily's List is not only very Liberal, very Pro Choice -- but they give a LOT of money to Planned Parenthood and heavily support a Woman's Right to Choose.

You can see that several of the Judges did not totally agree - but it was Judge Kavanaugh that wrote the decision. This indicates to ME that he looks at the LAW, he looks at the Evidence, he makes a decision based entirely on Law/Evidence - he would personally be against planned parenthood, probably not in favor of Emily's List .... and yet

none of that biased his decision - you can look up the entire case and read it to see exactly what he wrote - I knew about the case, so took the easiest LINK that I could copy/paste from.

Not that it matters - but I'm in favor of a Woman's Right to Choose, I certainly don't want it "banned".
At it's heart, I think it should probably be a States Rights Issue - I feel the same way about Legalizing Marijuana ... but that's just my personal feelings.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:57 PM

20,507 posts, read 9,951,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Seems like you are doing a lot of assuming with not much in the way of 'evidence'.
Why are you doing this?

Here you go (from the links) --

"Kavanaugh was raised in Bethesda, Maryland. As a teenager he attended Georgetown Preparatory School, a Catholic all-boys high school."

"With an annual tuition of $56,665 in 2015, it is the 4th most expensive boarding school in the United States."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Kavanaugh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George...aratory_School

I don't think that I am assuming very much.

P.S. Btw, as I now think that you are just trying to "bait" me, I will not be responding to any more of your posts.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:58 PM

38,496 posts, read 26,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The ABA never "downgraded" Brett Kavanaugh -- they just didn't give him their highest rating the FIRST time he was up for a Nomination - their stated reason was "No Experience as a Judge"

That's not a "downgrade" .... that's a 1st Grade.
12 years on the Bench and 307 Opinions got him the Up-Grade.
Not quite.

Quote:
American Bar Association dropped Brett Kavanaugh's ratings in 2006 after concerns about his temperament and honesty

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...conduct-a85660

Old 10-03-2018, 03:58 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,133,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I also worry for Kavanaugh's wife. He reportedly gets belligerent when he drinks and he self reports his love of beer.
This is exactly the kind of vile insanity that will cost democrats votes over this charade you've pulled against this man and his family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies