Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 09:24 AM

38,608 posts, read 22,463,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
She was 15.

I'd also like to see the same rigorous attention paid to all the people who testify to Kavanaugh's brutish character.

What does her being 15 have to do with it. Unless you are saying that a 15 year old girl's memory is assumed to be flawed and unreliable.

This attack may have happened to Ford, but with EVERY witness claiming it never happened, and her best friend Lealnad says she has never met Kavanaugh in her life....? Don't you think it's very probable that if she was attacked, none of these people were there???

Old 10-02-2018, 09:25 AM

41,002 posts, read 49,439,703 times
Tell me again why Dr Ford did not give the committee her Therapy notes that would verify her testimony.

I understand she refused to turn them over to the FBI.

1,239 posts, read 513,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
A lot of women I’ve talked to think she’s nuts. The ones from her generation and older think she is being a drama queen. There are, of course, plenty of women who do not think she is nuts, and they believe her.

Now, that Swenick character - if you don’t think she’s nuts, delusional, or just a flat out liar, you are so blinded by an agenda that no amount of proof will ever convince you that Kavanaugh isn’t the second coming of Ted Bundy.
She claims she was gang-raped in college.
Trauma like that can lead to numerous problems later in life.
While it doesn't make her accusation true, it should not take away from it either.

2,818 posts, read 1,563,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I concur. Unless there's some new evidence that suddenly comes forward, the allegations made by Ford, Ramirez and Swetnick all remain largely uncorroborated. My gut instinct tells me Ford is telling the truth, but that's beside the point.

It's his unhinged behavior and repeated lying at the committee hearing that's disqualifying.
Behavior that if Ford had engaged in would have completely disqualified the truthfulness of her testimony. Mr. McFratboy, however, somehow gets a pass.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:26 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,750,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
She thought she was going to be a "hero," and garner a lot of attention. As her husband stated, "Christine has long had issues with not getting the attention or respect she felt she deserved."

And there's a pattern, here. Swetnick's ex-boyfriend, when interviewed, said Swetnick always needed to be the center of attention, as well.
OMG are you people serious? Do you truly believe these woman have had their lives upended and had death threats because you feel they "need attention"?
I really have heard everything now.

10,512 posts, read 5,201,872 times
BREAKING: Kavanaugh supporters take to the streets and do a protest march

https://twitter.com/sumacumama/statu...53043693056001

18,982 posts, read 9,125,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
What does her being 15 have to do with it. Unless you are saying that a 15 year old girl's memory is assumed to be flawed and unreliable.

This attack may have happened to Ford, but with EVERY witness claiming it never happened, and her best friend Lealnad says she has never met Kavanaugh in her life....? Don't you think it's very probable that if she was attacked, none of these people were there???
Again, was EVERY witness in that room?

Old 10-02-2018, 09:27 AM

8,531 posts, read 3,379,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Actually it can be partially their fault. Would you walk down a street in the worst part of town with $100 bills hanging out of your pockets and then wonder why you got robbed? No, you wouldn't just as you shouldn't go someplace and get yourself so blasted that you're not in control of your own actions or not able to realize a bad situation is about to occur and then leave.

Or, you put yourself into a situation where both you and the other person are so blasted that signals etc are misunderstood/ignored/not realized/not properly vocalized and then unwanted sex happens.

Yes, there are some situations where the "victim" has some blame.
The victim frequently is criticzed for a decision or behavior (the hanging $100 bills) that might be unwise - maybe in hindsight or, depending on the culture, in the absolute. However, this says nothing about the inherent criminality of the crime. The thief who took the $100 bills remains a thief.

What you are really saying is that there can be a certain confusion concerning sexual acts specifically. This I agree with although note that expectations are highly cultural-specific and can change over time. In Ford's case she did not appear to have placed herself in a high risk situation so I'm not sure how any of that applies to HER - this would be true either today or back in the early 1980s.

In any case, the concept of consent has long been established in western societies.

Where your analogy is relevant is that Kavanaugh may have engaged in unwise behavior (heavy drinking) that then played a role in a misinterpretation on HIS part. That you are drunk does not absolve an individual of the consequences of a crime, particularly if that alcohol use increased the probability for a misdeed (for example, drunk driving).

Old 10-02-2018, 09:27 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,563,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

No, I think it very likely that she has a confused memory about the peripheral presence of other people. There's no doubt in my mind that her memory is sound regarding who was in the actual room of the assault. Both of these likelihoods are very common in the testimony of rape victims.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:28 AM

89,560 posts, read 45,216,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
what's the aclu doing getting involved here?
i guess we all knew their endless claims of being non-partisan were a huge joke.

ACLU is spending more than $1 million in TV ads comparing Kavanaugh to Bill Clinton, Cosby
The ACLU is adopting presumed guilty as the standard of justice in the US now? Never thought I'd see the day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies