Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2018, 08:50 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,559,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The stigma once associated with tattoos is not the same today, its accepted much more than it used to be, that is probably due to so many different types of people getting tattoos, its not just bikers, and criminals anymore.
It signals a coarsening of our society. One has to have a low image of oneself to turn your skin into a graffiti wall.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Trigger alert !!!

The worst tattoo I ever saw was Hillary's face on a cellulite thigh.

I warned ya !!!
That would be gross.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:56 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,295,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
It signals a coarsening of our society. One has to have a low image of oneself to turn your skin into a graffiti wall.
There are a lot of things I liken to "having a low opinion" of one's self and getting or not getting a tattoo, generally, isn't on my list.

Unless it's a particularly bad tattoo, of course.

One should never bargain shop when getting a tattoo.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I couldn’t agree with you more. It is a brainless generation that is coming up. It is so totally outrageous to have to look at their trashiness. All that I can do is to make sure that the younger generation in my family doesn’t fall victim to this trash culture.
Exactly!

Old 08-22-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
What about breast cancer survivors that get nipples tattooed? Not only is it juice athletically, but it's a life changer for those that do it.
That is not we are referring to, per se.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
People object to the abject ugliness and degradation of society they so perfectly embody. Spider-web elbows.... Really? That's all you think of yourself?
Umm... spider web elbow tattoos are prison tattoos, generally speaking. That's not the same as choosing to get a tattoo of a flower or a bird or a dragon or whatever.

Come on. LOL.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I couldn’t agree with you more. It is a brainless generation that is coming up. It is so totally outrageous to have to look at their trashiness. All that I can do is to make sure that the younger generation in my family doesn’t fall victim to this trash culture.
Or, maybe let the "younger generation" do whatever they want because it's not up to you?

The old folks when you were a kid thought your generation was just as brainless, trust me.

I see people my age talking about the younger generation and how stupid they are and it really cracks me up because they seem to have forgotten what it was like to be young.

Sad, considering we're not all exactly ancient right now. What these people will be like when they are octogenarians is really beyond me.

Or, maybe they'll have mellowed out by then.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:02 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,062,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
x 1,000,000

When people use that as a reason to be against tats, I have to laugh.
I raised the same point yesterday and it made me laugh as well.

Listen, I get and fully appreciate that tattoos aren't for everyone. But here's the beauty of Merica!...you can choose to avoid the cost and time it takes to ever get one. I know. I know. Novel concept.

Yes, there are bad tats; either crap work, bad imagery choice (I'm looking at you Budweiser Logo on the bicep) or a combination of the two.

But the idea that "you'll regret that later in life" is hilarious.....I mean you don't need to put ink on old and wrinkly* to make old and wrinkly somehow more than it is.

Maybe the point was more "they're permanent and maybe what you're into in your 20s you won't be in your 50s". A fair point, but more relevant to someone who say, picks something off the wall in the shop. For me personally, I spent 3 consultation sittings with my artist going over every detail of the design/theme/concept of my sleeve. And given its a piece about my wife, kids, my late mom, me and my life as a third culture kid........pretty sure there won't be regret in ten years....let alone 20 or 40.

I have seen others mention them being out of place in a corporate environment. While I have exposed mine in such in an environment, it is only after someone else has one exposed theirs. I cover my sleeve until "the coast is clear" if you will. Further, to another point, I would absolutely cover it during a job interview.

But I couldn't give two you know whats about some person walking by me on the street with or without a kid, who I probably ignored anyway, who may be triggered by the sight of my left arm.

* we all become old and wrinkly so save the "judging old people" thoughts for someone else.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:15 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,059,966 times
Man, OP. You sure have a way of making friends.

I don't care for tattoos. 99.9% of them are really terrible artwork, the equivalent of buying a painting at a starving artist sale, except putting it on your skin. And, over time, just about all of them wind up looking like a disfiguring skin disease. What's more, it's really not a very good mark of individuality if everybody else is getting them, too.

Finally, getting a tattoo is akin to buying a leisure suit that can only be removed with a painful medical procedure. Yeah, that polyester confection with the Qiana shirt was the height of style when you pulled up to the disco in your ZRoc Camaro. But that doesn't mean you'd be caught dead in it at anything besides a costume party today. I mean, how many of you bought a garment or accessory ten years ago that you thought was great, yet still wear it every day today? Well, if you get a tattoo, that's what you've signed up for.

All that being said, if you want a tattoo, get a tattoo. It doesn't make you a morally vacuous human being. It isn't your membership card to the nearest opium den or swinger's lounge. It just means that you don't think very far ahead.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:17 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,239,989 times
Quote:
Yes, you have now uglied yourself up so much that no rational person wants anything to do with you. It's a shame that the time has come in the USA that such ugly defilement of the human form is seen as a positive! Sad and disgraceful.
This attitude is uglier than a lot of tattoos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies