Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 10:38 AM

823 posts, read 1,974,569 times

Advertisements

Ceterus paribis, (all other things being equal, for example IQ, social status, money, ethnicity, religion, etc), do you think it is more common to find relationships where both members in a relationship share the same level of psysical attractiveness level?

And if so, what would be the reason? Genetics, like they just feel attracted to partners that share their same biologic makeup, for example in face symmetry? or socio/psychological factors , for example, an ugly guy would not date a pretty woman because he thought she sooner or later would cheat on him?

I am talking in general, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 11:29 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
In general, if you want to make generalizations, there is no answer.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
In general, if you want to make generalizations, there is no answer.

Ok, what is your particular experience on the subject?

Old 12-17-2013, 12:11 PM

4,512 posts, read 4,043,147 times
Ya I think so. However all the other factors you listed attribute more to attractiveness than physique normally.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:43 AM

993 posts, read 1,560,866 times
Well, yeah. It's one of those human nature things that we tend to befriend and feel intimate attraction towards those who are most "on our level".

For someone who likes to ponder social psychological questions so much, it would behoove you to just purchase an intro to psychology textbook and flip through it. There's no need to make up our own answers to these kinds of questions when the answers are readily available because a lot of this stuff has been studied and figured out already. And that's not a knock on you, OP, just a friendly suggestion that I think will satiate your curiosity.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
Well, yeah. It's one of those human nature things that we tend to befriend and feel intimate attraction towards those who are most "on our level".

For someone who likes to ponder social psychological questions so much, it would behoove you to just purchase an intro to psychology textbook and flip through it. There's no need to make up our own answers to these kinds of questions when the answers are readily available because a lot of this stuff has been studied and figured out already. And that's not a knock on you, OP, just a friendly suggestion that I think will satiate your curiosity.

So what exactly should people ask on a psychology forum?

Old 12-18-2013, 12:18 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,866 times
I'm not Queen of the Threads, so I don't have any say in the matter and I don't want to get off-topic. It was just a friendly suggestion for your questions that have very open-and-shut answers (in contrast to questions like the one about what goes on in the minds of people who leave their shopping carts anywhere they please).

But hey, back to the the thread topic. As you'll learn if you do choose to pick up a psychology textbook, three principles of attraction are proximity, similarity, and reciprocity. Similarity is the one that you're talking about.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:35 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
I think if you want to be very general, you can apply basic economics to search for partners. Market forces are at work. People in general will go for the most attractive partners they can get, and a big part of what determine what they can "get" is their own attractiveness.

So if you think of people, broadly, on that scale of 1-10 with regard to looks, it usually goes like this.

Most people in the 1-10 categories are attracted to the empirical 10s. But since the 10s are usually only attracted to other 10s, that weeds the 10s out of the market for 1s through 9s.
Then you have a bunch of people of all levels feeling attracted to those 9s. But the 9s will mostly only be drawn to 10s and other 9s. So that removes the 9s from the market for the 1s through 8s.

And so on.

We'll always have those odd folks who are empirically a 3 or 4 but who think they must have a 9 or 10, but most people figure out over time where they fall on the scale, and go after partners in the same range.

Again, this is being very general. And even if you hypothesize saying "all other things being equal" all other things are never equal (thank God) because we all have much more to us than physical appearance. Someone can be an empirical 5 with regard to looks, but they might get a boost from being very witty, very successful, very famous, etc. Someone might be empirically a 10 on looks, but their personality could be totally terrible, and after a time, the other 10s will stay away.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I'm not Queen of the Threads, so I don't have any say in the matter and I don't want to get off-topic. It was just a friendly suggestion for your questions that have very open-and-shut answers (in contrast to questions like the one about what goes on in the minds of people who leave their shopping carts anywhere they please).

But hey, back to the the thread topic. As you'll learn if you do choose to pick up a psychology textbook, three principles of attraction are proximity, similarity, and reciprocity. Similarity is the one that you're talking about.

Yeah, I could read a book and get a standard academic definition, read some case studies and see some graphs. In fact, I've done it many times.

Or I could check the answers of a wide range of forumites to see what their opinion on the subject is, which comes from real life experience.

Both paths are not mutually exclusive.

But thanks for your advice.

By the way, things are not as open-and-shut as they might look. The rules of attraction are proximity, similarity and reciprocity. How can we tell the difference between sorting and peer effects? It's like deciding what was first, the chicken or the egg.

Last edited by Javier77; 12-18-2013 at 02:18 PM..

Old 12-18-2013, 02:13 PM

4,512 posts, read 4,043,147 times
Quote:

What is a book that you suggest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology