Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 07:02 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,748,654 times

Advertisements

Again, the guy wasn’t arrested. It wasn’t a false report. The woman called and said there’s a guy at the park with a gun and a mildly threatening T-shirt. The cops came to check it out, talked to the guy, and left. No crime was committed. The woman would nit be held for filing a false report in any state. She reported what she saw and that’s all.

People call the police all the time. I once called because I hadn’t seen my neighbors in a few days, which was unusual, and their dog was barking nonstop for hours, which was also unusual. Nothing ended up being wrong, but the police did come and do a welfare check. There was no crime, no false report.

This is really not news... I’m sure the cops are called every day for things like this. The vast majority of the time, there’s no arrest. I’m not sure what all of the poutrage is for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 07:05 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,925,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
In this day and age with open carry in some states, you just don't know who is going to take out their gun and start firing. Better safe than sorry. But this is the problem with open carry....you just don't know. And no she doesn't need anxiety medication. She would be hailed a hero if this guy opened fire.
Open carrying individuals by in large are not going to randomly start shooting people. Can you find a single incident of that happening?

Random shooters want the element of surprise so open carry and having an inflammatory gun related message are two clear signs that this guy was not a threat.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:08 AM

1,081 posts, read 551,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
When has a legal open carrying citizen just started firing for no reason? Do you have any accounts of that?
Unfortunately, yes. This guy was seen open carrying his revolver which is why the first victim probably stopped to talk to him. It was a very tragic incident.
https://www.postcrescent.com/story/n...hing/71064794/

For no reason? The shooter had his own internal reasons. This is one where the Air Force probably should have updated NICS with his mental issues. It was a failure of the system.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:10 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,746,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Ok, triggered by a gun. That gets another

Cops are armed and walk among us everyday. Plus they can kill you and get away with it.
Even though you're right, as a general matter I'd personally be more alarmed seeing a random person I don't know carrying a gun than I would with a cop.

All depends on the context I suppose...

Old 04-16-2018, 07:15 AM

29,752 posts, read 14,813,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
The man was wearing a t-shirt, that read as a threat. Quick thinking woman, does not need anti-anxiety drugs, maybe you do. Those kids he was pushing on the swings, may not have been his. He sounds like he wanted trouble. What if one of the kids, grabbed his gun. The gun was loaded?

Had he been drinking? What kind of a person takes kids to a city park with that attitude. Maybe, he is legal, but was he thinking? If my kids start screaming and laughing and having a good time is he going to shoot us? There should be more people that report odd happenings, maybe there would not be as many deaths by guns in our society.

The guy sounds like a jerk, wanting attention.

Wait, did you read the article ? She was fine with the firearm, it was the shirt that triggered her. The shirt.....

Old 04-16-2018, 07:15 AM

24,461 posts, read 23,156,696 times
I also agree that people who open carry firearms are mostly dinks. One, some firearms van be very expensive and are worth upwards of $300 at a minimum. Probably twice that for most. So right there you're displaying a very expensive item that's tempting to thieves. And they'll see the firearm and decide if you're physically able to prevent them from taking it. A cheap shot to the head and you'll likely go down. And if THEY have a firearm, you're likely to just get shot and have them take it from you. You think its saying " Don't mess with me, I'm armed and dangerous" but it's saying " Look at me, here's my gun, take it."
Conceal carry and you have the edge all the way. No attention drawn to you, nobody knows you have it, they have to wonder if you have a gun or not.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
How dare he wear a t-shirt depicting a firearm while he takes his kids to the park.

Perhaps we should ban such t-shirts, for being a "trigger" object? After all, if you're going to attack one Amendment you might as well go for another one.

My wife sometimes will wear her Noveske T shirt to the grocery store. It has an AR15 running the length of the shirt, but how the graphic is designed, the AR is hidden. She's actually had some compliments on the shirt, and we think people just didn't notice the AR..LOL If people did , she better expect a visit from the police !

Old 04-16-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Have you heard of the mass shootings in the past number of years?

The difference between those and a the law abiding is, the bad guy is generally pointing the gun at people. Just saying .

Old 04-16-2018, 07:22 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,861,709 times
Sorry but this thread is hilarious considering that two black men recently had the cops called on them in Philly at Starbucks just because they were waiting at a table. They didn't have holstered guns or political t-shirts on and they actually were arrested when this guy wasn't! LOL

Old 04-16-2018, 07:27 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,861,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I also agree that people who open carry firearms are mostly dinks. One, some firearms van be very expensive and are worth upwards of $300 at a minimum. Probably twice that for most. So right there you're displaying a very expensive item that's tempting to thieves. And they'll see the firearm and decide if you're physically able to prevent them from taking it. A cheap shot to the head and you'll likely go down. And if THEY have a firearm, you're likely to just get shot and have them take it from you. You think its saying " Don't mess with me, I'm armed and dangerous" but it's saying " Look at me, here's my gun, take it."
Conceal carry and you have the edge all the way. No attention drawn to you, nobody knows you have it, they have to wonder if you have a gun or not.
I agree with this, especially the bold.

Note I have a concealed carry permit. I don't see the reason behind going to a park with a weapon brandished unless it is a part of your job like a LE officer or armed security, etc.

If you want to be a hero in a situation to prevent a crime, having a concealed weapon is better since a criminal can see your weapon when you open carry and can know to take your weapon or take you down first in specific situations just because you have a gun. It is silly IMO to especially be at a park with children with a gun holstered to your chest and a dumb t-shirt.

I don't agree with calling the police just because, but he would look suspicious. Who comes to the playground with guns on their chest except nutty people. And all the reports of mass shootings do have people afraid and on edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies