Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2018, 09:18 AM

57,404 posts, read 26,424,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
Please don't then. We have a constitution that protects our rights; you want to take away our rights because you have an irrational fear of guns. Who is the bully and nut now?
Just because you have a constitutional right does not excuse bad behavior. This man was looking for an incident and he was successful, lets not make believe he wasn't inviting a confrontation. A day out in the playground with his two young daughters openly displaying a gun and people are attempting to make this out to resemble normal behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 09:22 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,198,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
Ello ATG5,
Unarmed 14-year old black kid shot at by bi-racial couple. Wife (black) was having a fit about "these people" on her doorstep. Husband (white) came running with a gun because his wife was in hysterics. The husband was trying to protect his wife albeit he illegally discharged his firearm at the 14-year old. He is now in jail on charges.

Father with child at park singled-out because he had a pro-Second Amendment t-shirt on (holstered legal open-carry firearm on his hip in an open-carry state) by triggered woman who had issues with multiple people that day. Father waited for police to arrive to straighten out the situation.

These two are separate and incomparable incidences; very different situations.
What a surprise. Point went right over your head. And then you confirmed the point I was making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Interesting. Who is defending what happened to the 14 year old HS student ? I know I certainly am not.

Seems like you are the one trying to bring race into this.
And obviously, you haven’t been paying attention.

Not my issue.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:27 AM

34,362 posts, read 18,742,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Just because you have a constitutional right does not excuse bad behavior. This man was looking for an incident and he was successful, lets not make believe he wasn't inviting a confrontation. A day out in the playground with his two young daughters openly displaying a gun and people are attempting to make this out to resemble normal behavior.
How was he "behaving badly". He was playing with his kids. Also, how do you know he was looking for an incident? Do you know him? If I were to wear a shirt with the image of a murdering, terrorist, like Che Guevera, would that be bad behavior, or me looking for an incident?

A holstered hand gun, is not bad behavior. Some carry that way either because they can't legally conceal a firearm, or it is difficult for them due to their dress. Sometimes concealed carry is uncomfortable, and difficult to achieve with normal clothing, especially in warmer months.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:46 AM

19,779 posts, read 10,225,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It is normal behavior in many places. Many of us are not afraid when we see a gun carried legally.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:48 AM

39,947 posts, read 26,670,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Thank you. Emotion is a great feeling. Irrational. No. What about the men that think the guy was out of line? Don't think this is a man vs. woman subject. The subject is safety and feeling safe in our gun loving country. JMO

I don't want to take you precious guns away. I just want you to be thoughtful and reasonable around people, the adults and children of all ages. Is that too much to ask?
The woman was paranoid because she was actually exposed to an aspect of American culture she wasn't familiar with. As I said in a previous post-she could have been walking down the street and seen a couple of black teens with their pants half way down their butts, gotten scared and called the police. Or perhaps she saw someone in a burka carrying a quran and been afraid that they were wearing a suicide vest. No difference in her response in either case.

Actually I guess there is-you are more likely to be a violent crime or terrorism victim of the last two cases than of a lawful gun owner.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:49 AM

57,404 posts, read 26,424,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
How was he "behaving badly". He was playing with his kids. Also, how do you know he was looking for an incident? Do you know him? If I were to wear a shirt with the image of a murdering, terrorist, like Che Guevera, would that be bad behavior, or me looking for an incident?

A holstered hand gun, is not bad behavior. Some carry that way either because they can't legally conceal a firearm, or it is difficult for them due to their dress. Sometimes concealed carry is uncomfortable, and difficult to achieve with normal clothing, especially in warmer months.
I would say that openly carrying a weapon along with the T-Shirt was unnecessary in a playground. He could have concealed his weapon and left the T-Shirt home, he was looking to make trouble, it worked.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:20 AM

19,779 posts, read 10,225,756 times
Some people are too easily offended. I had a woman berate me for having an Einstein quote on the back of my van. "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Old 04-17-2018, 10:29 AM

39,947 posts, read 26,670,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Some people are too easily offended. I had a woman berate me for having an Einstein quote on the back of my van. "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"
And stupidity is far more arrogant-as that woman demonstrated.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:42 AM

14,181 posts, read 5,736,504 times
Guess I have spent too much time around gun ranges, because someone carrying a weapon in a holster doesn't alarm me in the slightest. Gun sow parking lots, gun ranges, sportsman clubs, etc. I've been around lots and lots of guns, and they are simply not that scary.

Apparently, the easily scared woman in the OP has not been around firearms or art she finds controversial, so she became frightened and asked the agents of tyranny to calm her fears. Doubt her fears got abated, and I doubt the guy who was delayed and questioned will be changing his stance on carrying weapons and wearing controversial t-shirts.

Americans hate and distrust each other. It's one of our top defining characteristics as a nation.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:44 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,987,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
And stupidity is far more arrogant-as that woman demonstrated.
That woman didn't demonstrate stupidity.

She's at a park filled with children and families. A man she does not know is also at the park. He's wearing a shirt about out-of-control children, and he's visibly armed. She has no way of knowing if he's legally armed or not. His shirt is communicating the idea that he dislikes out-of-control children and parents who don't control their children. His shirt also communicates that he has a gun, which is visible anyway.

If something terrible HAD happened, you and everyone else would be questioning why no one called the police beforehand. Why wasn't anyone suspicious?

Her suspicions were raised because of what the man wanted to convey to people. Whether he was a real threat or whether he was just someone with a poor sense of humor, she had no way of knowing. Direct confrontation was unwise. So she called the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies