Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 09:59 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Police resources are very limited. If they are responding to a nuisance call from some nanny state, bliss ninny woman, they may not be able to respond to a true emergency. It is very irresponsible, and puts people at greater risk. At the minimum she should be given a stern talking to by the police.
Kinda like the phone call to the police about 2 black guys sitting in a Starbucks doing nothing. That's a legit call to use up precious police resources but this call was a waste of time & a knee jerk reaction, yeah?

I'll say it again, the guy is an insecure gun nut looking for attention, he got it, didn't he? What a twit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 09:59 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Police resources are very limited. If they are responding to a nuisance call from some nanny state, bliss ninny woman, they may not be able to respond to a true emergency. It is very irresponsible, and puts people at greater risk. At the minimum she should be given a stern talking to by the police.
The Sheriff did that one time out here. We were hunting and some scaredy cat saw a GUN and called them after high tailing it out of the primitive campground. This Deputy was NOT happy by the time she got up there and after talking with us called the couple that called back made it know they were trying to camp in a hunting area.

She also said she had to respond to every call. That was why it was a good idea to be armed because her response would be hours.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:01 AM

1,081 posts, read 549,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
a similar incident, without police, came up in a discussion with neighbors the other day. one neighbor complained to our group of neighbors that during a walk in the woods, he saw a man with a holstered pistol also out for a walk with his two young children. he said the man's visible gun frightened him and made him feel unsafe.

the neighbors who heard the story fell into two camps. those who were out of state transplants felt it was wrong for anyone to feel unsafe. camp #2, self described to a person as native Texans, said the man with the pistol and walking with two small children was within the law and too damn bad if the transplant felt 'unsafe'. many suggested he perhaps needed to live elsewhere if he was frightened by texas culture and texas laws. fwiw, I fell in camp #2.
My first assumption upon noting him as having a firearm and walking with kids would be that he had it loaded with snake shot. I can't tell you how many times we had to "Go get Granddad his shotgun" when we were heading down to the river and came upon a rattler.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:12 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Kinda like the phone call to the police about 2 black guys sitting in a Starbucks doing nothing. That's a legit call to use up precious police resources but this call was a waste of time & a knee jerk reaction, yeah?

I'll say it again, the guy is an insecure gun nut looking for attention, he got it, didn't he? What a twit.
Who said the Starbucks call was legit? I know I didn't. I could very well ask why those who think this woman was right are up in arms about the Starbucks call being wrong. The two have nothing to do with each other, though, and this thread is about the triggered woman in Texas calling the police for no reason.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:59 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Does anyone even read the articles? She was an angry nutter who was "fuming" and harassing other people too. There is no excuse to defend people like this.

Quote:
Approximately 30 minutes after the kids began playing, a man approached him with his wife and daughter in tow, Johnston said.
He said the man told him that a woman was “fuming†over the message on Johnston’s shirt, as well as the fact that he was armed. “I thanked him for letting me know, and continued playing with my kids,†Johnson said.
A short while later, another man and his family approached Johnston, and asked to read his shirt, he said.
Johnston showed him his shirt, at which point the man warned him that his father-in-law had just been harassed by woman in the parking lot, and that she was contacting police regarding Johnson’s attire.
The man told Johnston that he didn’t know “what was wrong with her,†and that he actually “felt more secure knowing there was someone there that would protect them,†Johnston said.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:07 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
People have been overly conditioned to call police nowadays, its really getting out of control.

I remember reading an article last year about someone who called police over a guy she saw walking on the street with a gun on his hip. it turned out he was licensed to carry, but when police stopped him and asked him for ID, he refused and it turned into a huge thing, he was not doing anything wrong so he refused to comply, and he eventually won, he was a constitutional law student, who knew his rights back to front, so he knew how to exercise them appropriately.

Imo, its too bad the person that reported him, was not charged or punished in some way.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:14 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Panic attack, lmao.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:52 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
The problem is it's not that uncommon, and the police often go along with it and harass people who legal carry. The only complaint is someone feels "uncomfortable", and that is not a justification for calling police.

Police should be educating false reporters about the law. Feeling uncomfortable about someone not doing anything wrong, is a form of false reporting. It is like trolling, or a mother reporting a man being at a public park, because he is a man and could be a pervert. Same logic. And police probably do make the man leave the park.

This is not the society we want.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:42 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Who said the Starbucks call was legit? I know I didn't. I could very well ask why those who think this woman was right are up in arms about the Starbucks call being wrong. The two have nothing to do with each other, though, and this thread is about the triggered woman in Texas calling the police for no reason.
I didn't say that you said that.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:15 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I didn't say that you said that.
Your statement implies that anyone who feels this call was a waste of time and money also believes that the Starbucks call was legitimate. Read what you wrote again:

Quote:
At no point did I or anyone else in this thread state or even imply that the Starbucks call was not just as much of a waste of time as this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies