Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 07:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
45,099 posts, read 82,500,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Fine those companies severely. This would be much more effective than the wall.
That's done now, but it would take a lot more government employees and cost the taxpayers a lot of money every year forever to enforce. A former employee at my business in the late 90s got a call from a local Wendy's manager where she had worked before, offering her well over what she made before, because ICE had busted them and they had to shut down for lack of workers. There are probably many more such situations all over. The benefit to a secure wall is that it's a one-time cost.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:09 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,543,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Illegal migrant labor has long been used in agriculture in this country. Are you really taking Trump to task for following the rules to bring in LEGAL, temporary, agricultural labor?
Why not? Can they not teach any Americans to work in his vineyards? Why would the Trumps need to bring in legal immigrants when there are Americans out of work that could do these jobs?

And if he truly wants to "BUY AMERICAN AND HIRE AMERICAN", he and his family can start by bringing to America all the overseas companies that they use to manufacture their goods. Why should his goods be made by 'foreigners' when Americans are out of work? The Trumps are rich enough to pay decent wages and give proper benefits, right? Or is this another case of do as I say, not as I do?

Old 12-30-2016, 09:16 AM

18,613 posts, read 7,515,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Americans don't want to work, they want easy and they want it handed to them. Farmers in my area have a standing offer that if anyone wants a job, all they have to do is show up. They use Mexican migrants because Anglos won't do the work. It's hot, dirty, and doesn't pay much.
They will do the work if the farmers pay the market rate.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:16 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,825,037 times
By kicking out all the grape pickers, Trump is going to either destroy the wine industry in California-Oregon-Washington or it will drive the prices so high that everyone will buy imports from Chile and Australia. In either case the American wine business is killed. Same is true with fruit and vegetable businesses in those states and others. They will all have to raise the cost of food for all of us in order to pay "American" workers who probably would not work the fields at any pay rate. In any event, the cost of food just went way up for the rest of us.

And those Carrier air-conditioner jobs? If they really are coming back, that means a Carrier AC will now cost more. So basically the American consumer is subsidizing Trump's program for American workers. That is just tax by another name. Who loses? The American consumer.

Sounds like Trump has a great plan.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:08 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,199,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That's done now, but it would take a lot more government employees and cost the taxpayers a lot of money every year forever to enforce. A former employee at my business in the late 90s got a call from a local Wendy's manager where she had worked before, offering her well over what she made before, because ICE had busted them and they had to shut down for lack of workers. There are probably many more such situations all over. The benefit to a secure wall is that it's a one-time cost.
Are you seriously advocating for the wall?

That one time capital cost would be astronomical, but it isn't as simple as that. Annual maintenance and repair costs would be tremendous as well.

A very costly, inefficient answer to a problem that isn't all that serious.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:14 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,199,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Hundreds, not hundreds of thousands for the auditing and surely no more than 1000 for the "Deportation Force".
That is laughable. Each person on your "deportation force" would need to deport one person every 40 minutes every working day for the next four years. That assumes illegal immigration immediately drops to zero.

So much for due process.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:18 AM

5,044 posts, read 7,544,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Are you seriously advocating for the wall?

That one time capital cost would be astronomical, but it isn't as simple as that. Annual maintenance and repair costs would be tremendous as well.

A very costly, inefficient answer to a problem that isn't all that serious.
Not to mention you still have to hire man power to secure it.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:33 AM

8,113 posts, read 10,214,322 times
So, we send all the "illegals" home. That frees up a ton of $8/hour jobs. We give the jobs to unemployed ,or welfare recipients, or recent college graduates from America that can't otherwise find work.

It's all beautiful. Donald told us he can get this done. America believes him. Clown car and the bimbo(s) pull up to the White House on the 20th. Get 'er done, Donald. America is counting on your promises.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:57 AM

10,117 posts, read 19,542,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I don't think so. The way to stop illegal aliens from taking American jobs is to penalize the companies that hire illegal workers and pay them slave wages under the table. I know this probably sounds absolutely crazy but I don't know why I've never heard this arguement before, all I here is "BUILD A WALL!!!" which is ****ing stupid and will not stop people from coming into the country illegally. Fine the companies that undercut American workers and don't want to pay a fair wage! Am I the only sane person left, or am I just crazy?

Oh, come on----you don't really believe they are actually going to build a wall? It was a campaign slogan, just like Hoover said "a chicken in every pot"

Old 12-30-2016, 12:02 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,890,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Why not? Can they not teach any Americans to work in his vineyards? Why would the Trumps need to bring in legal immigrants when there are Americans out of work that could do these jobs?

And if he truly wants to "BUY AMERICAN AND HIRE AMERICAN", he and his family can start by bringing to America all the overseas companies that they use to manufacture their goods. Why should his goods be made by 'foreigners' when Americans are out of work? The Trumps are rich enough to pay decent wages and give proper benefits, right? Or is this another case of do as I say, not as I do?
How much would you have to be paid to do stoop labor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies