Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 04:07 PM

1,166 posts, read 890,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
When I lived in California, the company I worked for had a lot of illegals working in the plant. Everyone knew it, and the laws that companies are supposed to follow were circumvented by fake documentation, like fake SS cards, drivers licenses, etc. Illegals were simply a fact of life and were necessary because Americans didn't want the jobs illegals would gladly do.

As far as Trumps' wall.............probably the dumbest idea he has had so far, and he has some really dumb ideas. He could build it 5 miles high and 500 miles long, and they would still be able to come here. But, if anyone thinks they are taking OUR jobs, they are not being realistic. Americans are too lazy to take the jobs these people gladly accept, so why kid ourselves?
Maybe if these companies weren't slave drivers who paid their workers peanuts while they force them to bust their ass all day, Maybe Americans would be willing to do them? I think companies expect a lot out of people that barely make over minimum wage (illegals are most likely paid less than minimum wage) and expect people to work themselves to death for nothing.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:11 PM

1,166 posts, read 890,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Americans don't want to work, they want easy and they want it handed to them. Farmers in my area have a standing offer that if anyone wants a job, all they have to do is show up. They use Mexican migrants because Anglos won't do the work. It's hot, dirty, and doesn't pay much.
Again, the solution to this is to quit being a cheapskate who all he cares about is how much it costs him. As I said before, I don't think the problem is that people don't want to work, I think people want to pay workers next to nothing and work them to death, with no concern for their welfare or safety in a lot of cases.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:32 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,194,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I blame politicians (to a lesser extent) and businesses that take advantage of the situation. We've been conditioned to blame the politicos, yet most people elect the same people to office term-after-term. We let the businessmen off the hook but the problem will continue as long as they're complicit.
I think we should blame the voters. Despite me seeing the forest from the trees on our President-elect and realizing he is one of these businessmen who is let off the hook, he was seen as someone different to other voters, even if he was as bad of a choice as the other. Many times we don't get a true different choice even if we want to make it whether we are talking the same politician or a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Maybe if these companies weren't slave drivers who paid their workers peanuts while they force them to bust their ass all day, Maybe Americans would be willing to do them? I think companies expect a lot out of people that barely make over minimum wage (illegals are most likely paid less than minimum wage) and expect people to work themselves to death for nothing.
I don't think it is just that. The issue is we've seen jobs shed due to hostile takeover attempts, rising costs for workers (mostly driven up by costs mind you) and EPA for factories (though IMHO it is a needed evil), and also technology but internationally and with modern robotics and computing.

Quote:
Again, the solution to this is to quit being a cheapskate who all he cares about is how much it costs him. As I said before, I don't think the problem is that people don't want to work, I think people want to pay workers next to nothing and work them to death, with no concern for their welfare or safety in a lot of cases.
Yes but in this economy, too many of us small people, have to be. Not enough of us are making enough to afford the Made in America items as we would need to truly bring manufacturing back to the states. The dinner table economics don't allow it.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:29 PM

15,290 posts, read 17,878,589 times
Quote:
Americans are stupid and proud of it. The H1B visa is the only thing that is bailing us out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FvcvcO0p3I

Old 12-29-2016, 05:53 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,905,517 times
Quote:
Since you seem to have missed it before, I'll ask you again:

Do you work for the most money that you can earn, or the least? If it is OK for you to do the best you can for yourself, why is it wrong for the business owner to do the same?

Old 12-29-2016, 06:58 PM

13,309 posts, read 8,632,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Since you seem to have missed it before, I'll ask you again:

Do you work for the most money that you can earn, or the least? If it is OK for you to do the best you can for yourself, why is it wrong for the business owner to do the same?
I shall kindly answer this. Business is built on capitalism. which means business owners retain as much of the profits as they can while steering the ship to mass destruction.

Business 101 is not about any concerns for staff or the environment. Its about dodging as many laws/fines with such finesse so as not to stand out like a sore thumb. Apple is a prime example of outsourcing so as to pay as little as possible for labor so it can Profit and profit and did I mention profit?

Illegals are not using the mexican border, they are using trains, boats and other means to be here. In my world, a person needs to eat, survive and find their way in this messed up imaginary lines created by govt'.

Ask any native indian how they handled illegal Puritans that came here.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:39 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,661,014 times
Illegals love working more than Americans.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I shall kindly answer this. Business is built on capitalism. which means business owners retain as much of the profits as they can while steering the ship to mass destruction.

Business 101 is not about any concerns for staff or the environment. Its about dodging as many laws/fines with such finesse so as not to stand out like a sore thumb. Apple is a prime example of outsourcing so as to pay as little as possible for labor so it can Profit and profit and did I mention profit?

Illegals are not using the mexican border, they are using trains, boats and other means to be here. In my world, a person needs to eat, survive and find their way in this messed up imaginary lines created by govt'.

Ask any native indian how they handled illegal Puritans that came here.
Nice rant. But even you didn't answer the questions.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:10 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,442,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
It's not the illegals that are taking my job. It's the legal ones, H1B visa immigrants, being hired at every Fortune 500 company. They are taking away the 100k jobs for Americans to pay the legal immigrants less. They are taking away middle class jobs.

I don't care about the illegals and their jobs. They are taking the jobs pay crap, even if you are a citizen. Minimum wage doesn't even cover half my expenses and forget about working for tips.
That. ^^^ Do you know that Eric Trump just requested permission for six H2 visas for foreign workers? Eric, president of the Charlottesville, VA, vineyard owned by the president-elect, petitioned the Labor Department for the visas saying Americans aren't qualified to prune grape vines.

According to the Washington Post and CNN Money, "Trump's various businesses have been granted approval to hire at least 1,256 foreign guest workers over the last 15 years, according to a CNN analysis of Labor Department filings. Since the start of Trump's campaign in June 2015, companies he owns have requested at least 190 foreign visa workers, according to Department of Labor data. The workers were hired on a variety of different U.S. visa programs." Many of these people work at Trump's Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach where, according to Trump, he can't get American citizens to work.

Or maybe Americans just aren't good-looking. A lawsuit was filed in California in 2012 over Trump's mandate that women working at the Trump National Golf Club in Rancho Palos Verdes weren't "attractive enough." The catering manager testified that she he wanted to "create and enforce a culture of beauty, where female employees’ appearances were prized over their skills," according to the Los Angeles Times.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.1d818bf13a02

Trump wanted to fire women who weren't pretty enough, say employees at his California golf club - Los Angeles Times

Old 12-29-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
That. ^^^ Do you know that Eric Trump just requested permission for six H2 visas for foreign workers? Eric, president of the Charlottesville, VA, vineyard owned by the president-elect, petitioned the Labor Department for the visas saying Americans aren't qualified to prune grape vines.

According to the Washington Post and CNN Money, "Trump's various businesses have been granted approval to hire at least 1,256 foreign guest workers over the last 15 years, according to a CNN analysis of Labor Department filings. Since the start of Trump's campaign in June 2015, companies he owns have requested at least 190 foreign visa workers, according to Department of Labor data. The workers were hired on a variety of different U.S. visa programs." Many of these people work at Trump's Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach where, according to Trump, he can't get American citizens to work.

Or maybe Americans just aren't good-looking. A lawsuit was filed in California in 2012 over Trump's mandate that women working at the Trump National Golf Club in Rancho Palos Verdes weren't "attractive enough." The catering manager testified that she he wanted to "create and enforce a culture of beauty, where female employees’ appearances were prized over their skills," according to the Los Angeles Times.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.1d818bf13a02

Trump wanted to fire women who weren't pretty enough, say employees at his California golf club - Los Angeles Times
Illegal migrant labor has long been used in agriculture in this country. Are you really taking Trump to task for following the rules to bring in LEGAL, temporary, agricultural labor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies