Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 07:20 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,951,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I don't think so. The way to stop illegal aliens from taking American jobs is to penalize the companies that hire illegal workers and pay them slave wages under the table. I know this probably sounds absolutely crazy but I don't know why I've never heard this arguement before, all I here is "BUILD A WALL!!!" which is ****ing stupid and will not stop people from coming into the country illegally. Fine the companies that undercut American workers and don't want to pay a fair wage! Am I the only sane person left, or am I just crazy?
What I've been saying since forever, but do folks ever listen to the wisdom of such as you and me? Not hardly. I think the entire illegal aliens thing is mostly fear-mongering and a way for sleazy politicians to attempt some rabble rousing. Illegals are certainly not responsible for the dearth of jobs here in rural Colorado. That has happened in my part of the country due to the drawdown in the energy exploitation industry NOT because we're overrun with illegals snapping up our crummy, low wage jobs out here. The locals snap those jobs up and work them 2 or 3 at a time, just trying to get by. Maybe we should make a law that a person can only hold one crappy job at a time and open up the job market that way. Wouldn't THAT be special? Frankly, I have a very hard time going out gunning for people who are just desperate for work at whatever the wage.

I think we should build a wall around Washington, DC to protect ourselves from all the politicians with their illegal schemes and off-shore bank accounts. We could also make sure that they paid for it out of their own pocket - not ours. I bet everyone in the US would give a big sigh of relief to be saved from our worst enemies - the Demoncrats and the Reptilicans. But no one ever listens to me either.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:31 PM

5,901 posts, read 3,911,758 times
Quote:
Yes on the books there's laws against it but how often is this enforced? We as Americans also need to do our part and not hire illegals to do side jobs "because they'll work cheap". Is money really all that matters to some people?
People start businesses with the sole intention of making a lot of money, so yes, money is all our society cares about.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:32 PM

5,901 posts, read 3,911,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Go STEM.
Depends. Biology is useless.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:41 PM

43 posts, read 36,906 times
Im just hoping to RETIRE

and then not create poster after poster....

Old 12-28-2016, 09:04 PM

1,166 posts, read 879,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Frankly, I have a very hard time going out gunning for people who are just desperate for work at whatever the wage.
That's just it, people shouldn't sell themselves that short and be willing to work for $2 an hour, because there's no way you can support yourself with that. Maybe if you're a hobo and all your looking for is booze and food money, but anyone who's not homeless shouldn't be working for such low wages. And more importantly, there shouldn't be pieces of **** out there that will pay $2 an hour to anyone in 2016, that's a ****ing joke. Just cheap, greedy, selfish people who have no empathy.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:21 PM

388 posts, read 536,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
It's not the illegals that are taking my job. It's the legal ones, H1B visa immigrants, being hired at every Fortune 500 company. They are taking away the 100k jobs for Americans to pay the legal immigrants less. They are taking away middle class jobs.

I don't care about the illegals and their jobs. They are taking the jobs pay crap, even if you are a citizen. Minimum wage doesn't even cover half my expenses and forget about working for tips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Illegals are not the problem, unless you want to go pick crops. The real problem is the H1B visas. Large companies such as Tata specialize in providing cheap H1B labor to companies by outsourcing. They convince a company to outsource a department such as IT, fire the workers that currently work there (make them train their replacements first), then bring in the company providing the outsourced staff. (Think Disney). All perfectly legal, since the outsourced employees don't technically work for the company that fired the American staff. Happening in all industries- just read hospitals are doing it with doctors since they can get foreigners on the cheap. The H1B is for higher level jobs.

H1B's have to be sponsored, so they can't change jobs freely until they get green cards which takes a few years. These are the middle class jobs that have disappeared and the reason we're becoming a two tier society. Rich and low paid worker. Politicians love to throw people off track by pointing out illegals when they're not the worst of the problem. Kind of scary and I don't see much to change it in the next 4 years.

Both of these posts are 100% spot on!

Old 12-28-2016, 09:28 PM

757 posts, read 840,816 times
Were it not for Mexican labor few crops would be harvested. There would be no chickens processed so say goodbye to KFC and Chick Filet etc. Black folks used to provide that labor but not much anymore. Whites do not do it either in my memory. Deep South. There would be far fewer laborers to do roofing work. Here in AZ I observe Mexicans working in heat that would kill most. White men are out panhandling on medians holding up "will work" signs. Right. There is no shortage of work in yard and community maintenance. I am only aware of one Mexican who does yard and handyman work and he charges 15 an hour I'm told. He is drug free, reliable and gives value for his wage. He is also busy all the time.

The problem as I see it is a broken border system where a Mexican cannot come and work and go back home rather than remain as an illegal. There is no reason to allow in children, gang members and other nationalities who simply have nothing to offer society.

I doubt the new administration will have much effect on the mess that has been created since Ted Kennedy ramrodded immigration reform. No administration has helped the situation and this last one has made it worse.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:29 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,073,619 times
[quote=Aery11;46646170]OP, were you in this world for the past 2 years? This subject has been discussed over and over, ad nauseum actually .. and in great part was responsible for the election of Donald Trump in November.

But, don't be fooled .. most of us are not focussing on the wall thing. The wall may be literal or figurative .. it may be built in part or in full or not at all .. whether there is a 'wall' per se is not as important as what the wall represents - and that is a secure border and an end to the large flows of illegals streaming into the US (in other words .. enforcement of existing laws!). But there are many more issues involved there too - reducing the number of illegals here now .. most especially the criminal element .. and what to do with those who remain, vis a vis do they ever get to be citizens, etc. Stay tuned.

H1B visas are also another issue as macrodome says. A wall doesn't figure into the solution for that problem though.

Many things threaten jobs in the US .. it is a complex problem and the solution will also be complex. Some of it can be implemented fairly easily, some of it will take time and a lot of 'negotiating' most likely. I am heartened that someone in a position to help spearhead the 'solutions' is going to be at the helm.[/QUOTE]

You want the President of the US to find solutions for jobs? Congress? The Federal Government runs a 15% loss on average. That is this year we will have a ~$500 Billion dollar loss (deficit) on little over $3 trillion in revenue. The US government hasn't turned a profit (surplus) in 15 years. In that time frame the government of our country has lost close to $12 trillion dollars. I'd rather leave the "solutions" to someone else.

The problem isn't that complex at all. Information is commodity right now. Labor is an asset, and is priced as a commodity as well. Government should get out of the way, and allow free markets to do their thing.

It will be messy, and painful at first, but much more efficient.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:33 PM

10,785 posts, read 5,713,374 times
Quote:
That's just it, people shouldn't sell themselves that short and be willing to work for $2 an hour, because there's no way you can support yourself with that. Maybe if you're a hobo and all your looking for is booze and food money, but anyone who's not homeless shouldn't be working for such low wages. And more importantly, there shouldn't be pieces of **** out there that will pay $2 an hour to anyone in 2016, that's a ****ing joke. Just cheap, greedy, selfish people who have no empathy.
When you go to work, do you work for the most money that you can, or the least? We all know the answer, so let's continue. Based on the above, that would make you a greedy selfish person.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:38 PM

42,867 posts, read 26,366,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Go STEM.
Illegals aren't typically competing for jobs requiring a lot of education and specialized skill sets.
They usually take up jobs requiring low wage, low skill labor.
That's true, there are not many illegal coders or engineers, but just as bad (or worse) is the fact that hundreds of tech workers are being replaced with H1b hires:
Laid-off IT workers muzzled as H-1B debate heats up | Computerworld
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.