Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 01:42 PM

5,849 posts, read 3,289,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
romneys 47% statement was taken way out of context. he indicated that 47% of the people would vote democrat no matter what.
My recollection was that Romney condemned the 47% because they were in some way or form dependent on the government for income or benefits. That includes Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, VA care, etc. etc..

Quote:
as for the unions, what has that gotten the US? back in the day, the unions were flexible in dealing with big business, they had decent work rules, got decent pay for the workers, decent benefits etc. today however the union bosses are greedy bastards who take from the members without a care, and senior union members vote for what they want without regard to the younger union members.

the unions have prices themselves OUT of the labor markets. ford and the other automakers would rather build their cars here, but labor is far too expensive. take the mazda 6 for instance. mazda built that car at the flat rock michgan plant until 2014(?) when they moved production to japan. why? because the combination of taxes, government regulations and union work rules made it so expensive to build the car in michigan, that when the numbers were crunched, it was found that building the car in japan, and paying shipping to the US as well as the tariffs, was cheaper than building the car here.
There has been a war on unions since Reagan took office. Any jobs that leave the USA leave because it's not just cheaper to pay workers abroad, it's much cheaper. You can't fault the unions for trying to hold onto the gains that workers fought and died for since slavery ended.

Quote:
republicans have generally been for smaller government which is good for EVERYONE, not jut big business. take a good look at what the democrats have done recently with their regulations on small business, taxes, etc.

you want a strong middle class in this country? then start by cutting regulations on business(not eliminating them). letes make the business environment in this country friendly to business again.let small business, the driver of jobs in this country, work again without the garbage.
That's trickle down nonsense. Corporations and their owners must be liable for the damages that they do to water supplies other destructive activities. There must be strong laws in place so that they can be held liable for their actions.

If you want to cut red tape for businesses that's one thing, but there are those who will always sneak something into a thousand page bill to disadvantage workers or circumvent a good law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 10:53 PM

17,468 posts, read 13,012,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree with you. If we're going to play that game, then I'm going to start believing Howard Dean's suggestion that Trump has cocaine issues.
So!
Just makes you as crazy as Dean. If anyone might be doing coke it is Howard dean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
To be fair. Why can't democrats nominate someone who is honest?
It's a matter of opinion if Hillary is competent. Her track record is hardly praise worthy.
Most likely it depends on what honest really means. Honest as in Hillary saying, "she tries to tell the truth." Can't wait until her grandchildren use that one!

Old 10-02-2016, 11:07 PM

15,087 posts, read 13,515,485 times
A great thread.

The answer is simple: competence is anathema to conservatives. It's a sign of a liberal conspiracy, and they have spent a lot of time actively purging any sign of moderation or competency from their platform. They actually eschew competence. Only truly wacko nutjob racists can qualify as a reputable conservative now. The angrier and more unhinged, the better.

This is how we get stiffed with the choice between a horrible Democratic candidate and the worst huckster rube the conservatives could have possibly found.

We really, really need a viable third party in this nation.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:35 AM

5,849 posts, read 3,289,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi
I agree with you. If we're going to play that game, then I'm going to start believing Howard Dean's suggestion that Trump has cocaine issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
So!
Just makes you as crazy as Dean. If anyone might be doing coke it is Howard dean.
There is nothing wrong with Howard Dean. The media destroys anyone in this country who is not completely on board with globalization. During his run for the Presidency he threw his arm over his head and yelled out enthusiastically. The media showed just enough of the event to distort the context of the event. Then each of the corporate networks played it over and over and over until it achieved the desired effect. The media did something similar with Pat Buchanan, and they also fired Lou Dobbs from CNN. Pat Buchanan called the effect of globalization on the American worker "economic treason". Lou Dobbs wrote the book "Take This Job and Ship it". Dobbs also revealed the true nature of the H-1b visa almost daily on his cable show.

Now that I've shown what I believe to be the real circumstances behind Howard Dean's destruction, I must note that Howard Dean is a MD. Howard Dean attended Yale and graduated with grades high enough to get him into The Einstein School of Medicine at Yeshiva University. If Howard Dean says that Trump has cocaine issues, he certainly has the credentials to have credible observations.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:41 AM

17,067 posts, read 12,705,379 times
What I find amusing is, had EITHER party not nominated a truly heinous person, they would be walking away with the election.

What I find sad is, no matter who wins, we have a heinous person as president. America already lost.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:09 AM

33,639 posts, read 18,327,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
George W. Bush got us into the worst economic mess in decades. During the last few months of his presidency we were losing seven hundred thousand jobs a month. He couldn't even testify before Congress without Cheney's assistance.

McCain had the darling of the Tea party as his VP candidate. When interviewed Palin could not demonstrate a command of the issues. There was one report that she didn't even know what the Fed was. McCain was old and Palin would have been next in line.

Romney was another rich mans son. Usually the son's talent and drive don't match the father's. I won't however put him in the same class as Bush and Palin. We can trust that the middle class would not have done well with Romney.

Now we have Trump running. You Republicans must admit that his performance was **** poor the other night. He's nothing but a slick salesman with a couple of good ideas about trade but nothing more than that.

It's time for you to think about who you are making the most powerful person on Earth. FOX, Hannity, O'Reilly and Limbaugh shouldn't be doing your thinking for you. It's very important that you think for yourselves and do some independent research on these people who you choose to lead. The jury is no longer out on your poor choices for President and Vice President.
Look at Hillary.. she is so desperate she brings up a beauty contest winner from 20 years ago... Hillary is so dirty and corrupt and unhinged.. Hillary is no prize.. she has enough baggage to go around the world.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:19 AM

38,856 posts, read 25,707,909 times
Lightbulb Why Can't Republicans Nominate Someone Competent?

The GOP base is much more interested in crackpottery than competency these days.

The right has been consumed by anger, fear, and pessimism. They've been taken over by fundamentalist religious control freaks who value ignorance and conformity over intellect.

It's truly a sad state of affairs. America works best when both parties offer rational policy alternatives. When one of the major parties runs off the rails, it damages the entire nation. My hope is that in the wake of the Drumpf disaster the GOP will do a critical self analysis and regain their sanity.

But it's a slim hope.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:23 AM

9,377 posts, read 15,079,026 times
For people who keep saying that Hillary has "no accomplishments":

1. Advocate for women and children. For nearly a quarter-century on the national forefront as First Lady, Senator, and Secretary of State, Hillary has worked toward reform on women’s reproductive rights, establishing the importance of family values, and improving after-school programs.

2. Equal-pay proponent. As both an advocate and legislator, she is a stalwart on women’s rights to equal pay, and she remains so as a presidential candidate.

3. Women’s safety. Clinton’s role in creating the Justice Department’s Office on Violence Against Women underscores her advocacy for gender equality. She has also made the cause a significant Clinton Foundation priority.

4. 9/11 redevelopment. In the aftermath of September 11th, she worked closely with her senior Senate counterpart from New York, Sen. Charles Schumer, on securing $21.4 billion in funding for the World Trade Center redevelopment.

5. Middle East ceasefire. In November 2012, Secretary of State Clinton brokered a ceasefire deal between Israel and Hamas.

6. Iranian Nuclear Deal. As Secretary of State, she not only recognized the imperative of placating Iran’s nuclear ambitions, but also took proactive steps to begin negotiating a viable deal.

7. Free-trade agreements. Secretary Clinton played a role in numerous U.S.-led bilateral trade agreements—most notably, efforts on the TPP and a deal brokered between Pakistan and Afghanistan.

8. Minimum wage. Both Clinton’s presidential platform and legislative record clearly identify her support for raising the federal minimum wage.

9. Climate Change. Alongside many of her Democratic counterparts, Clinton has championed the fight against climate change, both domestically and on a global scale.

10. Human Rights. Hillary’s career has been marked by advocacy for human rights. In her concern as First Lady and Secretary of State especially, Clinton worked to ensure proper labor and sociopolitical protections around the world.

11. Gun control. Her legislative record and decades of advocacy for highlight her views, which are in step with a majority of Americans.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:25 AM

9,377 posts, read 15,079,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The GOP base is much more interested in crackpottery than competency these days.

The right has been consumed by anger, fear, and pessimism. They've been taken over by fundamentalist religious control freaks who value ignorance and conformity over intellect.

It's truly a sad state of affairs. America works best when both parties offer rational policy alternatives. When one of the major parties runs off the rails, it damages the entire nation. My hope is that in the wake of the Drumpf disaster the GOP will do a critical self analysis and regain their sanity.

But it's a slim hope.
Well said. This election has sunk to lows and lies not seen in ages.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:40 AM

6,332 posts, read 6,919,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
11. Gun control. Her legislative record and decades of advocacy for highlight her views, which are in step with a majority of Americans.
While most of your nonsense post made me want to drink bleach, this last point is probably the one thing Clinton has been consistent on. It is also the one thing that I don't agree with left-wingers on and the one thing I align with right policies.

I own a gun store here in Arizona with my family, while my family are Trump supporters (not me mind you) we all kinda-sorta want Clinton to win because her anti-gun rhetoric actually causes MORE people to get guns, not the other way around. Business has been a bit slow and we could use it, we struggle trying to take competition from the nearby Cabela's on the regular. Despite having cheaper everything and we are a local mom-and-pop. Fall has been terrible so far so we do believe that November will be a huge turning point in this year's profits, we do believe people are holding out for the election results.

Through out the few years our gun store has been open we go through boom and bust periods with usually media reporting new gun control creating significant booms for our store. Even here in AZ where everyone and their mother owns a firearm and we can rely on not losing our gun rights here, it's like the one political thing Arizonans care about. Enough to carry us a few extra months through the bust cycle. That's what gun control does. Scare people into getting guns "before it's too late". From a business perspective it's pretty funny, I enjoy it naturally as it helps pay my tuition and of course puts food on our table. From a political perspective it's not only hilarious but also pathetic... It's sort of like the mentality when you tell a kid they can't eat candy before dinner so they purposely try to sneak candy so they can eat it before dinner, making them crave candy even more. It goes for any material possession in this country, if people REALLY want it illegal or not they will find a way, it includes guns, drugs, etc. At the end of the day you can try to restrict freedoms and it doesn't work. People who also really want to kill other people will find a way to do that either regardless of guns or no guns. It's why we should be encouraging people to get mental health and seek help and support when we need it. Since it's usually men who commit such violent crimes, men tend to have the societal stigma of "suck it up" and hide any emotions which I do believe is causing quite a bit of these crimes. Doing a slight culture change of letting people express emotions from time to time and destroying the stigma of seeking psychiatric help for ANY mental health issue should resolve most of our violent crime in particular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies