Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 06:14 PM

6,332 posts, read 6,919,215 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 06:14 PM

30,975 posts, read 21,807,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
Its funny, I'm a Republican and I feel the same way except that I feel Trump is EXACTLY what the GOP needs to straighten out this mess we call our government.

The real question is why would the Democrats vote in such a lying corrupt candidate as their wanna be president?
But Trump has been proven to lie and get things wrong more often than Clinton. So it's pretty stupid for anybody to want to vote for Trump, unless they think what this country needs is a liar to run this country. I won't be voting for either one. Instead, I'll be voting for Johnson.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:15 PM

27,306 posts, read 16,325,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
George W. Bush got us into the worst economic mess in decades. During the last few months of his presidency we were losing seven hundred thousand jobs a month. He couldn't even testify before Congress without Cheney's assistance.

McCain had the darling of the Tea party as his VP candidate. When interviewed Palin could not demonstrate a command of the issues. There was one report that she didn't even know what the Fed was. McCain was old and Palin would have been next in line.

Romney was another rich mans son. Usually the son's talent and drive don't match the father's. I won't however put him in the same class as Bush and Palin. We can trust that the middle class would not have done well with Romney.

Now we have Trump running. You Republicans must admit that his performance was **** poor the other night. He's nothing but a slick salesman with a couple of good ideas about trade but nothing more than that.

It's time for you to think about who you are making the most powerful person on Earth. FOX, Hannity, O'Reilly and Limbaugh shouldn't be doing your thinking for you. It's very important that you think for yourselves and do some independent research on these people who you choose to lead. The jury is no longer out on your poor choices for President and Vice President.
Hillary is competent?

You owe me a doctors visit for laughing so hard I dislocated jaw.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:23 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,242,363 times
Quote:
George W. Bush got us into the worst economic mess in decades. During the last few months of his presidency we were losing seven hundred thousand jobs a month. He couldn't even testify before Congress without Cheney's assistance.

McCain had the darling of the Tea party as his VP candidate. When interviewed Palin could not demonstrate a command of the issues. There was one report that she didn't even know what the Fed was. McCain was old and Palin would have been next in line.

Romney was another rich mans son. Usually the son's talent and drive don't match the father's. I won't however put him in the same class as Bush and Palin. We can trust that the middle class would not have done well with Romney.

Now we have Trump running. You Republicans must admit that his performance was **** poor the other night. He's nothing but a slick salesman with a couple of good ideas about trade but nothing more than that.

It's time for you to think about who you are making the most powerful person on Earth. FOX, Hannity, O'Reilly and Limbaugh shouldn't be doing your thinking for you. It's very important that you think for yourselves and do some independent research on these people who you choose to lead. The jury is no longer out on your poor choices for President and Vice President.
I don't really feel like addressing the core issue as it's a little subjective. Frankly, McCain was fine. I have my disagreements with him but he's a respectable enough guy. He VP choice was crap, but really, it was one mistake. McCain was certainly old, but he's actually was not significantly older than Clinton or Trump are now. Clinton's had work done I'm guessing as she looks alright for nearly 70 (technically, I can't confirm this and Google's top results are just BS tabloid crap like the New York Post that I just don't have any desire to pretend to care about) and Donald is orange, so it's hard to tell that both are approaching the same age as McCain. Before their first term is up, both will be older than McCain was when he ran. And he's still alive, so had he won, we'd likely never see a President Palin.

To the real issue, the economic mess was not entirely Bush's fault. Bill Clinton repealed the Glass Steagall Act, which had this not happened, much of what happened in 2008 could have been prevented. It also made the banks more powerful. I know it's easy to blame the president from everything to the current wars to your stubbing your toe, but in reality, the president is just one of many players in a mess of politicians. I say this when people say dumbass **** about Obama; I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't do the same when people attack Bush unjustly. Not that he was a good president; he wasn't. But the economic failings in 2008 cannot all be pinned on him.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:31 PM

5,849 posts, read 3,289,497 times
Two of you have pointed out that the repeal of Glass Steagall was a factor in the 2008 crash. Years ago a close friend pointed that out to me also. I validate your point.

McCain was fine. Could I call Palin's experience bad experience? Not if they learn something from it. In spite of her experience she was and still is a light weight.
We will probably never know if Romney would have been a good President. I take his 47% statement seriously. Medicare and Social Security would have suffered under his administration.

My initial statement is subjective. I yield that. I am a student of history. I don't see too many Republicans who were friendly to labor.While employed I was active in my union. While my bias is a given, we need to note that the statement "What's good for GM is good for America" may no longer be true. Republicans have always been the party of big business, but big business has changed. These large corporations are now multi national and America needs a healthy middle class to continue as a great nation.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:39 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,320,382 times
Are Republicans really all that bad when the communist party keeps backing Democrats and this time KKK members said the gave $10'000 checks and were with her.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:43 PM

5,849 posts, read 3,289,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Hillary is competent?

You owe me a doctors visit for laughing so hard I dislocated jaw.
She was good the other night, admit that. When she is President in three months she will have her spouse as her Consiglieri (Robert Duvall's role in The Godfather).

Old 09-28-2016, 07:48 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,755,270 times
Quote:

they had 17 options, you chose trump.

hillary's side on the other hand? no way she's the nominee if she had to beat that many competitors, she beat a 'hand picked punching bag' and even needed her pal deborah to rig the system to guarantee a win.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:50 PM

10,848 posts, read 15,007,614 times
Quote:

Sorry but it was Bill Clinton that got us into the housing crisis mess.

From Business Insider The Untold Story Of How Clinton's Budget Destroyed The American Economy

If you can read here is an excellent analysis by Robert Stowe England first published in the National Review on December 27, 1993. Note that date, nearly 23 years ago.

Assault on the Mortgage Lenders
National Review
December 27, 1993

Quote:
QUIETLY, behind the scenes, the Clinton Administration is preparing for the biggest regulatory crackdown of recent years. Attorney General Janet Reno is linking up with banking regulators and with HUD Secretary Henry Cisneros to end the supposed epidemic of discrimination against minorities in making home loans. The implications for society at large are ominous.

Here, as in affirmative-action efforts in hiring, college admissions, and the drawing of voting districts, the Washington establishment is obsessed with "disparate impact," which it equates with racism. In the mortgage-lending area, there is ample evidence of disparate impact to feed this obsession. Data collected by the Federal Government reveal that in 1992, while 16 per cent of white applicants for mortgage loans were rejected, 36 per cent of black applicants were rejected.

snip
So let's all sit around and blame Boooooosh Cheney for the disaster of 2008.

Oh, and it is going to happen again too.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:42 PM

33,386 posts, read 35,045,535 times
Quote:
Two of you have pointed out that the repeal of Glass Steagall was a factor in the 2008 crash. Years ago a close friend pointed that out to me also. I validate your point.

McCain was fine. Could I call Palin's experience bad experience? Not if they learn something from it. In spite of her experience she was and still is a light weight.
We will probably never know if Romney would have been a good President. I take his 47% statement seriously. Medicare and Social Security would have suffered under his administration.

My initial statement is subjective. I yield that. I am a student of history. I don't see too many Republicans who were friendly to labor.While employed I was active in my union. While my bias is a given, we need to note that the statement "What's good for GM is good for America" may no longer be true. Republicans have always been the party of big business, but big business has changed. These large corporations are now multi national and America needs a healthy middle class to continue as a great nation.
romneys 47% statement was taken way out of context. he indicated that 47% of the people would vote democrat no matter what.

as for the unions, what has that gotten the US? back in the day, the unions were flexible in dealing with big business, they had decent work rules, got decent pay for the workers, decent benefits etc. today however the union bosses are greedy bastards who take from the members without a care, and senior union members vote for what they want without regard to the younger union members.

the unions have prices themselves OUT of the labor markets. ford and the other automakers would rather build their cars here, but labor is far too expensive. take the mazda 6 for instance. mazda built that car at the flat rock michgan plant until 2014(?) when they moved production to japan. why? because the combination of taxes, government regulations and union work rules made it so expensive to build the car in michigan, that when the numbers were crunched, it was found that building the car in japan, and paying shipping to the US as well as the tariffs, was cheaper than building the car here.

republicans have generally been for smaller government which is good for EVERYONE, not jut big business. take a good look at what the democrats have done recently with their regulations on small business, taxes, etc.

you want a strong middle class in this country? then start by cutting regulations on business(not eliminating them). letes make the business environment in this country friendly to business again.let small business, the driver of jobs in this country, work again without the garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies