Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 12:32 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,472,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Why don't you ask Obama.......... his admin started it........personally I think it is pathetic........half of us are already dead..........
Not really. Here's part of the proclamation:
"NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim March 29, 2012, as Vietnam Veterans Day. I call upon all Americans to observe this day with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities that commemorate the 50 year anniversary of the Vietnam War."
Source

See? It's for one specific day ... March 29, 2012. Doesn't say anything about being an annual event.

There is one national holiday for ALL this country's veterans. And that's the way it should be .... unless people are saying that one group of veterans are somehow more deserving of separate, special recognition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 12:34 PM

39,491 posts, read 27,881,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
. unless people are saying that one group of veterans are somehow more deserving of separate, special recognition?
No one is saying that. It is all in your head.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:48 PM

57,390 posts, read 26,458,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
backpedaler alert You still choose to dodge my question, what is the big deal of Vietnam veterans getting their special day? WHAT IS THE YUUUUUUGE DEAL? You need to be a little original next time. I think your post was inspired by the poster above you. lol
I already stated it comes off as pandering, not a huge deal.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I already stated it comes off as pandering, not a huge deal.
Let them (the ones who like the idea) have their special day. Put a smile on somebody's face. It is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:48 PM

265 posts, read 192,799 times
Default honorable vets were treated when they came Home

Vietnam Veterans Day March 29th

(Why there is a Vietnam Vets Day is so that Americans remember, or learn how these honorable vets were treated when they came Home. Hopefully, so it never happens again to another group of honorable men and women.) One example at: HOW VIETNAM VETERANS WERE TREATED

Old 03-30-2016, 02:13 PM

7,479 posts, read 4,050,195 times
Quote:
"NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim March 29, 2012, as Vietnam Veterans Day. I call upon all Americans to observe this day with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities that commemorate the 50 year anniversary of the Vietnam War."
Source

See? It's for one specific day ... March 29, 2012. Doesn't say anything about being an annual event.

There is one national holiday for ALL this country's veterans. And that's the way it should be .... unless people are saying that one group of veterans are somehow more deserving of separate, special recognition?
I sure as hell do not need any "special" recognition. It is also way past the time for any of the "welcome home" crap. The only people I want to hear welcome home from are other vets.......most of us can relate to the situations we encountered. mutual respect. Of if you prefer........."if you were not there don't ask"

Old 03-30-2016, 02:23 PM

41,458 posts, read 60,007,217 times
I have a good friend that rode an armored car from Normandy to Bastogne back in the day. I rode PBR's around the Big Muddy Mekong. The thing we most agree on is we are very glad we were not in the other guy's war.

I was mostly ignored when I came back from 'Nam. Nobody ever spit on me because they instinctively knew I would harm anyone that did. I didn't carry a chip on my shoulder, I carried the whole g-dammed tree. Some shunned me and some became lifetime friends. It was what it was.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:38 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,349,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Do an internet search for it.. there are plenty of comments by people who have guilt/and or apologized for what they themselves consider despicable behavior in the treatment of returning Vietnam soldiers

http://www.art21.org/texts/the-cultu...erans-memorial-
I don't believe and I never will. Vietnam vets came home to a people tired of war and indifferent about what we were in Vietnam to do, but so what? Americans should've been tired of that damn atrocity.

Mistreat the veterans? I don't believe it.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:09 PM

57,390 posts, read 26,458,152 times
Quote:
Source

So why is there a thread.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:06 PM

How the veterans treated seems to be associated with the popularity of war.

When the American soldiers returned home from the World War II, they were greeted as heroes. I don't think vietnam veterans have received the same treatment.

There are a lot of Vietnam veterans stood shoulder to shoulder and protected Iraq and Afghanistan veterans from the same unwashed ignorant classes that choose to put the soldier behind the foreign policy. Because of Vietnam veterans, the veterans of my brother and my boyfriend's generation have been treated much better.

Americans began to realize that most of the men were just doing their jobs as any real soldiers.

What are the differences between ww2 veterans and vietnam era veterans? Do you call Army Deserters ww2 hero? If you call them hero, what about the vietnam war soldier who jumped on a grenade in order to save everybody around him?

uncommon valor was a common virtue - this applies to all these soldiers who served their country honorably.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 03-30-2016 at 04:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies