Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 04:17 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,502,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Do we need a Korean War veterans day and other wars.
That'd be July 27th.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...-armistice-day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 05:00 PM

39,535 posts, read 27,977,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Why is this here, it should be on current events.

Do we need a Korean War veterans day and other wars.
Why does this bother you? I don't see it bothers you this much when Muslims want the school district to recognize their religious holiday. (Muslim holidays don't bother me by the way.)

It is not like these Vietnam veterans are hurting anybody. It is not like they are asking you for your donation. What is the big deal huh?

Old 03-29-2016, 06:22 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,413,049 times
Back in those days I never denied that I was a Vietnam veteran, but I most certainly did not volunteer that information because of the stigma attached to it.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:45 PM

265 posts, read 193,530 times
FOX News Gretchen Carlson detailed on her television show today that it is "Vietnam Veterans Day".

Film details struggles of Vietnam vets after returning home | On Air Videos | Fox News

Details of Vietnam Vets Day at: Vietnam veterans finally get their own day on March 29 ⋆ Conservative Firing Line

Old 03-29-2016, 10:11 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,443,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
Back in those days I never denied that I was a Vietnam veteran, but I most certainly did not volunteer that information because of the stigma attached to it.
What stigma?

Old 03-29-2016, 10:38 PM

7,479 posts, read 4,068,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Why do Vietnam veterans need their own day? Isn't Veterans Day good enough? I say this as a fellow vet.

Its just A hollow pathetic attempt at redemption.......from the draft dodgers and old hippies.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:28 AM

56,966 posts, read 35,443,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Its just A hollow pathetic attempt at redemption.......from the draft dodgers and old hippies.
Why do Draft dodgers and hippies need redemption? They didn't do anything wrong.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:04 AM

4,808 posts, read 3,546,133 times
Why does a topic like this have to be treated with so much disrespect. If you want to talk crap about a day given to Vietnam Veterans, then you are free to go somewhere else on the forum and start your mindless thread.
Thanks for your service Vietnam Vets. I , as well as Many Americans with Patriotism, appreciate what you did for our country. And to those that didnt come home, you are never forgotten.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:10 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,735,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Apparently not, so now we can have Guyana, Panama, Somalia, Iraq I & II, Afghanistan Days whoopy!
Seriously, I mean no disrespect to the Vietnam era vets, but come on now. Can't we have one day where we all stand together and commemorate our service to this nation? Veteran's Day should be good enough. I wonder how future Americans will celebrate Vietnam Vet Day in 2218. (Hint, they won't.)

Old 03-30-2016, 04:20 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,735,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Meh. Also speaking as a vet it's not like this is taking anything away from other veterans.

And actually this will be the 4th year of the observance; not the first:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...m-veterans-day
I like Veterans' Day because of it brings the generations of service members together. I usually go to a parade on Veterans' Day. Last year, I was talking to a guy in his 20s who was still on active duty and was marching in the parade with his unit. I asked him if he considers himself a veteran. (Like me, he has multiple deployments under his belt to Iraq and Afghanistan.) He looked confused by the question and said no, veterans are old and looked at the guys with the Vietnam and Korean era hats on around us (sadly, no World War II vets around much these days... or very, very few) and said it was about them.

I bet 30 years from now or so he'll be standing on a sideline somewhere watching current vets march by and remembering when he was young and the guys he served with. I think this is great.

Why do the Vietnam guys have to be special little flowers who get their own day? Just be vets like the rest of us. Sorry for what happened to you guys and sorry the nation didn't give you the honor and respect you deserved for your service, but that was then and this is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies