Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 12:41 PM

59,543 posts, read 27,809,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Pot calling kettle...

Next time I hear you that you're paying too much in taxes... (and don't forget premiums and your added costs to health care, among other things).
I have the slightest idea what you are trying to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

12,149 posts, read 8,461,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
Rare case... At least all people there have access to healthcare free while in America millions don't have (including me) and most people who still have do pay for it. Trust me your overall combined taxes are higher than Scandinavians

But obamacare!

63,917 posts, read 47,031,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And while TPP opens up low cost drugs to everyone in the world, the US will be stuck with their high cost drugs for 8 years beyond TPP signing.

A deal made with big pharma and the administration.
The patent system predates the US and is the most common way countries reward innovation. Countries without patents generally have no history of innovation.

As it relates to meds, it's all about biologics which have a 12 year patent in the US. As I understand it, the 12 countries that agree to TPP will agree to the same biologics patent patent protections that exist in the US, no?

Looks like Congress went along with TPP. No one bites the wallets that feed them.

Alternatives to biologic patent protections include governments buying the patent and making it available for generic form or outright government investment in R&D, regardless of the outcome.

Investment in big pharm has one of the highest returns, exceeding 20%. They win and lose big. When we talk Big Pharm, we are really talking about the wealthy who put their own capital at risk and expect a solid return on their investment which is provided by the patent.

Guess government could opt out of it all and cease rewarding innovation. In absence of patent protection, investors will find something else, somewhere else that offers a better risk- reward ratio.

There are no easy answers.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,869,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The patent system predates the US and is the most common way countries reward innovation. Countries without patents generally have no history of innovation.

As it relates to meds, it's all about biologics which have a 12 year patent in the US. As I understand it, the 12 countries that agree to TPP will agree to the same biologics patent patent protections that exist in the US, no?

Looks like Congress went along with TPP. No one bites the wallets that feed them.

Alternatives to biologic patent protections include governments buying the patent and making it available for generic form or outright government investment in R&D, regardless of the outcome.

Investment in big pharm has one of the highest returns, exceeding 20%. They win and lose big. When we talk Big Pharm, we are really talking about the wealthy who put their own capital at risk and expect a solid return on their investment which is provided by the patent.

Guess government could opt out of it all and cease rewarding innovation. In absence of patent protection, investors will find something else, somewhere else that offers a better risk- reward ratio.

There are no easy answers.
Yes there are. Leave the US for medical treatment.
Patent protection my foot.

The same drug is x times cheaper in Mexico than the US.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:19 PM

27,306 posts, read 16,325,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Yes please tell us why you have not purchased health insurance. It is the law of the land!
The fine is cheaper. My tax credits zero it out.

And I refuse to pay for dead beats health care.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:39 PM

358 posts, read 284,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The FACT that they ARE paying for it THROUGH TAXES PROVES it is NOT FREE.

Most Swedes pay around 60% of their income in taxes.
Wrong. I have tons of friends and cousins living in Sweden.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:41 PM

358 posts, read 284,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Compare apples and apples, please. The Swedes are taxed at the national, local, municipal and county levels, plus property tax and VAT.
Americans are heavily taxed as well... Similar to Sweden

Old 10-18-2015, 02:44 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,955,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I have the slightest idea what you are trying to say.
That is not the only thing you've no clue about.

Its all about "me, me, me...".

Old 10-18-2015, 02:47 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,617,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Yep Denmark has the same health system. My aunt was told she had gallstones and they would have her gall bladder out in about a year. She died of liver cancer in excruciating pain five months later.
That never happened in America for many decades of thousands upon thousands not having insurance and some that did being denied over and over again for stuff they were covered for? Naah, that never happened and is still not happening today. Naaah.

My Insurance Company Killed Me, Despite Obamacare - The Daily Beast

The Higher Health Insurers' Claim Denial Rate, the Higher the CEO Pay*|*Wendell Potter

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mental-i...ce-60-minutes/

Old 10-18-2015, 02:54 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,955,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
That never happened in America for many decades of thousands upon thousands not having insurance and some that did being denied over and over again for stuff they were covered for? Naah, that never happened and is still not happening today. Naaah.

My Insurance Company Killed Me, Despite Obamacare - The Daily Beast

The Higher Health Insurers' Claim Denial Rate, the Higher the CEO Pay*|*Wendell Potter

Denied - CBS News
Thank you.

But, you should know that there is no shortage of idiots in America, who actually think that their insurance companies would put its bottom-line aside and take care of them at any cost. They tend to vote against the best interests of the nation, thinking "they are spared, and as long as they aren't affected".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies