Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2015, 02:44 PM

41,010 posts, read 49,538,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post

And I would point out that the Mayor's phony campaign against Sharia tends to lend credibility to an anti Islam regime.
And what phony campaign is that? Enforcing our laws and not Sharia?

Old 09-24-2015, 02:47 PM

No Sharia courts for Texas Or Irving. You mean upholding TX law is a campaign against Sharia?

Irving Mayor Addresses Rumors on Sharia Law Court Approval

Quote:
Sharia Law Court was NOT approved or enacted by the City of Irving. Recently, there have been rumors suggesting that the City of Irving has somehow condoned, approved or enacted the implementation of a Sharia Law Court in our City. Let me be clear, neither the City of Irving, our elected officials or city staff have anything to do with the decision of the mosque that has been identified as starting a Sharia Court.

As Mayor of the City of Irving, I took an oath to uphold the laws of the State of Texas and the Constitution of the United States. I respect the freedoms guaranteed under the First Amendment and believe that protecting fundamental constitutional rights and ensuring that individual rights are not violated or denied is essential.

Currently, Texas Supreme Court precedent does not allow the application of foreign law that violates public policy, statutory, or federal laws. However, now that this issue has emerged in our community, I am working with our State Representatives on legislation to clarify and strengthen existing prohibitions on the application of foreign law in violation of constitutional or statutory rights.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:48 PM

12,148 posts, read 6,677,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Hopefully the Irving ISD will fight this. They've been restricted what they can say and if they are sued the muzzle comes off.

Not fighting opens a can of worms.
Who is restricting them from telling us the truth -- the School Board, lawyers ?!

Old 09-24-2015, 02:48 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,899,667 times
Quote:
And what phony campaign is that? Enforcing our laws and not Sharia?
Religious courts between agreeable adherents have always been allowed in the US. Catholics and Jews both use them. There is nothing in the Constitution that prevents such courts.

The regime in Irvine is apparently attempting to make an issue of such a court when initiated by Muslims.

Such courts have no powers except those allowed by the participants and have no athority over non adherents.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:53 PM

11,184 posts, read 6,547,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You guys seem to have a private portal to non existent news stories.

Anyone have any real source for this one?

They said they were contemplating legal action a couple of days ago to recover the clock but the Police have stated they can come and get it. So it would not seem they are suing over that.
I don't usually help lazy people, but:

"Though Irving police told CNN the teen's clock is available for him to pick up, the family's lawyers say they will sue because the teen has been "severely traumatized" and no one should be treated the way he was."

Ahmed Mohamed's parents will sue - UPI.com

What gets me is, the UPI headline writer still refers to Clockboy as an 'Inventor.'

Old 09-24-2015, 02:54 PM

12,135 posts, read 6,005,346 times
Do you have any idea what Sharia law entails or the rules they follow - obviously not. It riles me that we have so many liberal minded individuals on his board who speak without doing their research. Who would probably be the first to react - if the same situation happened in their child's school given the temperment in today's society but as long as it doesn't affect them - they stand behind the idiocracy.

You'll slam a 13 yr old black young man for using his brain and making his own judgments on society's leaders but applaud another 13 yr old who can not understand the concern when he brings this item in. Bashing the one young man shows how childish you all are - as you're suppose to be adults, while admiring another who was abusive to authority and got arrested for his actions.

I saw someone say - that CJ is a product of his conservative parents - when his parents are registered democrats - while defending another young man, who's father is an Islamic activist - sorry but if the first is a product of his parents - than the second would be also - but Ahmed is the one I'd be more concerned about.

Please think and research before posting as you don't further your causes.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
No Sharia courts for Texas Or Irving. You mean upholding TX law is a campaign against Sharia?

You need to read what you quote.

Quote:
Currently, Texas Supreme Court precedent does not allow the application of foreign law that violates public policy, statutory, or federal laws. However, now that this issue has emerged in our community, I am working with our State Representatives on legislation to clarify and strengthen existing prohibitions on the application of foreign law in violation of constitutional or statutory rights.
So what happens with ones that don't violate public policy, statutory, or federal laws? Catholics routinely get rulings on the annulment of a marriage. Similar among orthodox Jews. You have problems with that?

Old 09-24-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Who is restricting them from telling us the truth -- the School Board, lawyers ?!
The kid is a minor and his records are confidential in TX. They can't talk about it without the parents consent.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I don't usually help lazy people, but:

"Though Irving police told CNN the teen's clock is available for him to pick up, the family's lawyers say they will sue because the teen has been "severely traumatized" and no one should be treated the way he was."

Ahmed Mohamed's parents will sue - UPI.com

What gets me is, the UPI headline writer still refers to Clockboy as an 'Inventor.'
Sorry all yesterdays news. This implied a suit had been filed rather than a lawyer rattling his sword.

Regurgitating old news adds no value.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Do you have any idea what Sharia law entails or the rules they follow - obviously not. It riles me that we have so many liberal minded individuals on his board who speak without doing their research. Who would probably be the first to react - if the same situation happened in their child's school given the temperment in today's society but as long as it doesn't affect them - they stand behind the idiocracy.

You'll slam a 13 yr old black young man for using his brain and making his own judgments on society's leaders but applaud another 13 yr old who can not understand the concern when he brings this item in. Bashing the one young man shows how childish you all are - as you're suppose to be adults, while admiring another who was abusive to authority and got arrested for his actions.

I saw someone say - that CJ is a product of his conservative parents - when his parents are registered democrats - while defending another young man, who's father is an Islamic activist - sorry but if the first is a product of his parents - than the second would be also - but Ahmed is the one I'd be more concerned about.

Please think and research before posting as you don't further your causes.
You know how tell a right wing post? Just wait for the straw man. Who here is picking on CJ? Who here has saluted the accomplishment of Ahmed? I certainly have not...nor do I denigrate it. He needed to have his hair stroked and sent off to do something a little more interesting. Clocks are fun...I did one ten years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.