Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 10:57 AM

18,014 posts, read 15,784,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
The US population is far more primitive than Europe or Japan in terms of political mentality (although the UK did elect Cameron). Here in Colorado, the 'gun issue' tactic (creating panic and fear amongst gun collectors) was used successfully by the right wing in getting Democrats out of office. I'm not sure how much longer the righties can use this because 'God, Guns and Gays' does not seem to have a future. Younger people don't believe in deities as much and they accept gay people; and most Americans support background checks and other sensible gun control measures. In my mind, it will depend on if the voters can vote out senators and representatives owned by the gun industry.
Lmao...so, breed and indoctrinate the coming generations, to not be ..overly critical..of the idea of a disarmed America. I am rather glad you drew the distinction, that shows modern Democrats as the ones pushing such an agenda. That said, reps "owned by the gun industry" include a LOT of Dems, via government contracts. Oh yes, the elite and enlightened Dems have their fingers in that "military industrial complex", Leftist Dems love to bring up.

With that in mind, how many weapons, in the hands of criminals, came from government, local , state and federal, sources? More than from civilian sources, any cherry picked statistics, aside. The DoD facility, I used to work on, had 20 M14 rifles stolen. One was recovered, a year later, in Canada. When questioned about what his biggest security issue was, in relation to such thefts, the Commanding Security Officer, a Navy LCDR, replied, " Marine Corps sentries, ..sir.". That was no inter service animosity, simply a statement of facts. ALL the security, surrounding ALL weapons, was, and is, USMC.

Other material, besides firearms, that came up missing, from just this one facility, in one years time.: Hand grenades ( frag and concussion) , LAWs, ( shoulder fired individual) C4 ( block explosive .5# MCLC ) with the latter, went the DetCord that daisy chains it together) small arms ammunition, ranging from 22 LR, to 7.62 NATO, ( linked, in magazine, and loose storage(boxes), standard ball, AP, tracer) . Getting the rough picture here, yet?

The very government, you hold so dear, is the biggest supplier of weapons and dangerous material, to criminals, throughout this, and other, countries. Do you, honestly, believe, that stolen , civilian owned, weapons, are the "problem"? The weapon, used in the recent SF pier shooting, was stolen, from under the nose, of a federal agent. Government weapons, recovered from shooting scenes, are seldom reported. The only weapons information, released by investigating agencies, ate on stolen or straw purchased weapons. Think that might skew things a bit? Sure does. But, that's OK, because it supports an agenda. Not all of us are simple enough to buy into it, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 03:46 PM

4,332 posts, read 4,949,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Lmao...so, breed and indoctrinate the coming generations, to not be ..overly critical..of the idea of a disarmed America. I am rather glad you drew the distinction, that shows modern Democrats as the ones pushing such an agenda. That said, reps "owned by the gun industry" include a LOT of Dems, via government contracts. Oh yes, the elite and enlightened Dems have their fingers in that "military industrial complex", Leftist Dems love to bring up.
He's just following orders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nM0asnCXD0

Quote:
Other material, besides firearms, that came up missing, from just this one facility, in one years time.: Hand grenades ( frag and concussion) , LAWs, ( shoulder fired individual) C4 ( block explosive .5# MCLC ) with the latter, went the DetCord that daisy chains it together) small arms ammunition, ranging from 22 LR, to 7.62 NATO, ( linked, in magazine, and loose storage(boxes), standard ball, AP, tracer) . Getting the rough picture here, yet?
Back in college in the early 90's a friend stopped by after his weekend national guard drills. He was showing off a block of C4 he had brought home.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:31 PM

18,014 posts, read 15,784,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
He's just following orders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nM0asnCXD0

Back in college in the early 90's a friend stopped by after his weekend national guard drills. He was showing off a block of C4 he had brought home.
Stuff goes missing from government warehouses regular like, and field issue as well. Inventory methods often misses missing items, as well. This is an area of illegal arms that the people who would see the US citizenry disarmed don't ever talk about. They want the blame for all the illegal weapons in criminal hands to land on the private sector. Citizens. That needed clarification. "Private sector" , via government contractors, sees government weapons pilfered as well as military.run facilities.

Law enforcement, local, state and federal, lose their share of weapons too. Yet, weapons in criminal hands are all the fault of private ownership. It just ain't so. With that in mind, the anti firearms crowd, would have us relinquish control of our , private, weapons, to the same government that can't keep track of their own. Wanting us to store all our weapons in common storage, under government watch, no doubt, and other such idiotic suggestions. So our weapons can come up missing too. No thanks. I'll keep track of my own stuff.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:34 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,370,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
there have been 204 mass shootings in the usa in the first 204 days of 2015.

"mass shootings" defined as 4 or more shot in one event.

there have been 204 mass shootings — and 204 days — in 2015 so far - washingtonpost

list: mass shootings in 2015 - mass shooting tracker

top cities (# of mass shootings):
6 baltimore, md
5 detroit, mi
4 miami, fl
4 stockton, ca
4 chicago, il
4 st. Louis, mo
3 tulsa, ok
3 houston, tx
3 newark, nj
3 indianapolis, in
3 bronx, ny
3 cincinnati, oh
3 new orleans, la
3 philadelphia, pa

top states (# of mass shootings):
16 ny
14 fl
14 ca
12 ga
12 tx
11 il
10 oh
bs

Old 07-28-2015, 11:25 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,986,395 times
Quote:
The US population is far more primitive than Europe or
Japan in terms of political mentality (although the UK did elect Cameron)
Primitive according to who, you? lol
Quote:
In my mind, it will depend on if the voters can vote out senators and
representatives owned by the gun industry
Well, how did these senators "owned by the gun industry" get their seat in the first place? Voters voted them in to office, right? And how do they manage to keep their seats? Voters vote them in, right?

It doesn't matter how much money the gun industry gives a candidate, if the voters don't support them they'd be out on their you-know-what's.......

Until people like you can admit to yourselves that organizations like the NRA are only powerful because THE PEOPLE support them, than you'll never be able to have an honest discussion about the politics of this issue. Your characterization of the politics of guns as being "special interests vs. the will of the people" is disingenuous and intentionally misleading.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:15 AM

7,368 posts, read 7,028,873 times
To those of you whom hate guns put a big sign on your front door ,"This is a Gun Free zone" After a week or so tell me how safe you feel about having that sign on your door.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:24 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,369,138 times
Quote:

With that in mind, how many weapons, in the hands of criminals, came from government, local , state and federal, sources? More than from civilian sources, any cherry picked statistics, aside. The DoD facility, I used to work on, had 20 M14 rifles stolen. One was recovered, a year later, in Canada. When questioned about what his biggest security issue was, in relation to such thefts, the Commanding Security Officer, a Navy LCDR, replied, " Marine Corps sentries, ..sir.". That was no inter service animosity, simply a statement of facts. ALL the security, surrounding ALL weapons, was, and is, USMC.

The very government, you hold so dear, is the biggest supplier of weapons and dangerous material, to criminals, throughout this, and other, countries. Do you, honestly, believe, that stolen , civilian owned, weapons, are the "problem"? The weapon, used in the recent SF pier shooting, was stolen, from under the nose, of a federal agent. Government weapons, recovered from shooting scenes, are seldom reported. The only weapons information, released by investigating agencies, ate on stolen or straw purchased weapons. Think that might skew things a bit? Sure does. But, that's OK, because it supports an agenda. Not all of us are simple enough to buy into it, though.
I think that there is a primitive mentality prevailing in the U.S., an extreme individualist mentality; and that if there were more unity then there would be stricter gun laws and stricter enforcement of those laws. Of course there will always be a level of corruption as some are sociopaths and have no values other than profit (such as those USMC sentries you mention).

I think that other countries such as Denmark have more of a 'team' mentality. The U.S. has a lot of resources and many people are very innovative, and many social ills could be solved by looking at problems logically and working together to solve them (Obama and the ACA is an example). But there are many who are sociopaths. Look at the Republicans who are STILL working to destroy the ACA. They don't care about sick people; their only concern is their own greed. They are lost souls.

Sure there are Democrats who are no better. However that party is more progressive (or at least candidates such as Sanders and Keith Ellison and Mark Dayton are). Republicans are determined to keep moving us towards Third World status/plutocracy.

I have followed American politics since President Carter and have seen the country regress after the election of Reagan and devote itself to electing greedy plutocrats. Still, there have been some good things and it may be that we will move forward. Certainly the ACA was an improvement on the former system and I have heard gun owners say they support background checks.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:05 PM

4,332 posts, read 4,949,446 times
Quote:
I think that there is a primitive mentality prevailing in the U.S., an extreme individualist mentality; and that if there were more unity then there would be stricter gun laws and stricter enforcement of those laws. Of course there will always be a level of corruption as some are sociopaths and have no values other than profit (such as those USMC sentries you mention).
I have followed American politics since President Carter and have seen the country regress after the election of Reagan and devote itself to electing greedy plutocrats. Still, there have been some good things and it may be that we will move forward. Certainly the ACA was an improvement on the former system and I have heard gun owners say they support background checks.
I thought the US was built on the "rugged individual". I don't want to be like anyone else much less lost in a pack of sheep.

I don't support background checks. And before you ask "What about felons getting guns?", that's easy. If you are deemed such a menace to society that you can't have all of your freedoms then you don't need to be walking the streets.

I have also taken steps so that I don't have to have a NICS background check when I purchase a gun. Yes, there may be a record of it in the book at the gun shop but nothing was ever called in. In the future, I'll get around that by just building my receiver and buying the accessories to complete the gun.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:08 PM

7,618 posts, read 5,868,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
There have been 204 mass shootings in the USA in the first 204 days of 2015.

"Mass shootings" defined as 4 or more shot in one event.

There have been 204 mass shootings — and 204 days — in 2015 so far - washingtonpost

List: Mass Shootings in 2015 - Mass Shooting Tracker

Top cities (# of mass shootings):
6 Baltimore, MD
5 Detroit, MI
4 Miami, FL
4 Stockton, CA
4 Chicago, IL
4 St. Louis, MO
3 Tulsa, OK
3 Houston, TX
3 Newark, NJ
3 Indianapolis, IN
3 Bronx, NY
3 Cincinnati, OH
3 New Orleans, LA
3 Philadelphia, PA

Top states (# of mass shootings):
16 NY
14 FL
14 CA
12 GA
12 TX
11 IL
10 OH
3,287 people have been killed per day during this same time frame. So what's your point? Oh that's right, you don't have one.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:44 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,102,689 times
Quote:
I have heard gun owners say they support background checks.
Many gun owners do support background checks. They are already in place if you buy from a licensed dealer.
You are talking about UBC's on transactions between private parties. Universal Background Checks cant be enforced without a central database of registered guns. Most all gun owners are against registration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies