Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 01:29 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,350,764 times

Advertisements

I'm actually hopeful that 2014 will truly be the year our economy takes off. Obamacare is now firmly established and Republicans have eased on their obstructionism this year. No more sequester, tax increases, government shut downs, or radical changes in healthcare policy.

On the other hand, our stock market is being propped up solely by quantitative easing. That is a terrible terrible sign. The government needs to get its hands out of our stock market and let necessary corrections take place. This is going to be a big factor in my vote this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 01:30 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,663,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
1,325 stores...that's a lot of employees without jobs.
If they can't find new jobs their gonna hop on our costly welfare wagon.

What can we do to get those laid off employees new jobs?

Old 03-06-2014, 01:47 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,842,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I'm actually hopeful that 2014 will truly be the year our economy takes off. Obamacare is now firmly established and Republicans have eased on their obstructionism this year. No more sequester, tax increases, government shut downs, or radical changes in healthcare policy.

On the other hand, our stock market is being propped up solely by quantitative easing. That is a terrible terrible sign. The government needs to get its hands out of our stock market and let necessary corrections take place. This is going to be a big factor in my vote this year.

FRB is going to do what they are going to do, regardless of who wins or loses elections.
If QE were to suddenly end, the global economy would fail and life as anyone knows it would forever change.

I mean no snark when I ask what would suddenly cause the U.S. economy to take off? The U.S. could eliminate corporate taxes and the savings would be returned to shareholders, not business expansion and/or higher employment.

Is there a potential bubble, right around the corner?

Old 03-06-2014, 01:54 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,842,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Think about the millions of employees of the insurance companies that Barack is actively trying to put out of a job.
How so?

Old 03-06-2014, 02:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,948,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Exactly. I wonder when any the con hand-wringers here last went into a Radio Shack. (In my case it was about a month ago, to buy a new battery for my cordless landline phone.)
LOL! My sister was looking for one of these the other week, Target no longer sells them. They said go to Radio Shack.

I went a couple of weeks ago looking for headphones. I need a specific size for my earbuds. The guy didn't know the size I mentioned existed and proceeded to hold me hostage while he googled to find them. I hate going to Radio Shack, it is so empty that they are too hands on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
LOL! But to be honest, "The Shack" Super Bowl commercial was hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I also heard from a manager I know who works at Red Lobster, they may be closing many Restaurants soon. But are going to keep Olive Garden Going, at least this is what I have heard.

These little stores may not seem like much, but start adding them all up, it is a big freaking deal. And more people to be laid off, this is never good. Start looking at the bigger picture!

How can anyone with any smarts ignore this.
Blame income inequality. No more middle class, no need for Red Lobster.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/03/bu...ess-world.html

Old 03-06-2014, 02:02 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,350,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
FRB is going to do what they are going to do, regardless of who wins or loses elections.
If QE were to suddenly end, the global economy would fail and life as anyone knows it would forever change.

I mean no snark when I ask what would suddenly cause the U.S. economy to take off? The U.S. could eliminate corporate taxes and the savings would be returned to shareholders, not business expansion and/or higher employment.

Good! Necessary corrections need to take place! If your stock market can't survive without the help of the government holding it up then it needs to crash and correct itself. All the government is doing is delaying an unavoidable collapse. We need to let it happen and get it over with.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:05 PM

40,976 posts, read 49,312,419 times
A strong business climate requires confidence in it's leadership.

We sadly lack that and we are not going to see a major gain until we fire the CEO.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:05 PM

643 posts, read 919,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It's his economy. A rising tide lifts all boats, right? Where's the tide? That's the question that Barack needs to answer.
The tide is shifting and no president or congress can change that. Peoples shopping habits are different now and that has noting to do with anything other than convience and low prices. The big chains killed the mom and pops and now internet shopping is killing the big chains. It just happens. I am personally happy the big chains are losing. They are the worst.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:10 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,456,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

I think we'll see a pop when some of these cash reserves come in from the sidelines.
While institutional buying seems to be picking up, these mini-rallies have been built on light volume.
I don't know about a 'bubble' but a major correction would present some great buys prompting speculation.
1877 on the S&P is rarefied air. Traders are playing wait-and-see with little follow-through.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:11 PM

643 posts, read 919,724 times
The facts are there are just too many people in the world and with technology constantly becoming more efficient and eliminating jobs, there are simply not enough jobs to go around. The only way this country gains jobs is if we stop purchasing our goods from Asia and start producing them here at higher cost. This alone would create millions of jobs.. just everything we buy would be a lot more expensive.

Switching gears, what about having Americans work in the fields. People think they are too good for this kind of work, but shoot here in California, there are hundreds of thousands jobs working in the fields. But nope, not a single non-immigrant working there. So everyone complains about the lack of jobs... is there really a lack of jobs or just an abundance of pride to stop people from taking less than desirable jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies