Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 04:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
So some cities, like Austin, are enjoying a good economy. So what is it that other cities need that Austin apparently has to enjoy the same type of growth and recovery?
Some sort of booming industry that the boom cities are currently enjoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 08:21 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times
Have to admit I'm pretty surprised about this and really don't know what to make of it since it's pretty clear that Radio Shack is in a downward spiral - but after closing a Radio Shack store here in Benson just a few months back (and it being replaced by a Verizon store), just yesterday I noticed that a NEW Radio Shack store is opening up here in little old Benson. It's 3 to 4 times the size of the old one and in a much better location. It's in the Safeway strip mall that's been essentially vacant (except for Safeway, Ace, the DOL office and a couple of restaurants) for the last few years. This is the 2nd chain store to open in a vacant (or mostly vacant) strip mall here in Benson in the last 6 months. Back around November a large Tractor Supply store opened in a totally vacant strip mall a bit up Ocotillo from the Safeway strip mall. As I said - while I'm very happy to see yet another sign of significant improvement in the local economy here, I'm VERY SURPRISED to see that economic expansion to be in the form of a new (and much larger) Radio Shack store.

Ken

Old 04-24-2014, 08:29 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Again, the financial state of Radio Shack has little to do with the economy, I wonder how many that have posted in this thread have even been IN a Radio Shack now AND in the past, Radio Shack has been on its deathbed since the mid 90's and the only thing keeping them alive is they turned into a CellPhone store, since there is loads of competition now people are no longer stuck buying their over-priced accessories for TVs and Cellphones.

I even still have the Shortwave radio I got from there, it was my first high priced purchase with my own job earned money when I was a teen.
Exactly. As a long time electronics hobbyist that even worked at Radio Shack in the 1970s, Radio Shack's entire customer base is almost gone. The "little" Radio Shack that is in the small strip center just can't sell enough to remain in business. There is almost no one any more that buys resistors or circuit boards any more.

Radio Shack stores in malls do well - because they get foot traffic to shop gadgets. Location matters a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies