Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 10:55 PM

29,221 posts, read 22,418,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
What I wonder about is...since online purchasing is exploding, why are delivery jobs not exploding? A guy in a truck can only make so many stops a day. UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc ought to be hiring like crazy. At least some displaced retail workers ought to be able to drive a brown truck, right?

I know Amazon is working on delivery drones to fly the stuff to your house....but that's a ways off.

In the meantime, it's going to take a guy jumping out of a truck and running up to your door with your stuff!
Who says the delivery jobs aren't exploding?
All those deliverers and more may be hiring heavily in some areas of the country and not others. Delivery is much, much more than just the truck drivers; many more sorters, expediters, freight forwarders, order fulfillment agents, boxers, mechanics, and others are needed than just truck drivers. The cargo in one UPS truck usually requires over 100 other workers to make up the cargo that fills the truck.

My son, for example, worked as a delivery fleet mechanic for years. His only job was to make sure there were enough reliable delivery trucks at all times to meet their cargo demand. He always had a couple of trucks that were going to be out of service due to a blown transmission or engine, and part of his job was coordinating with another guy, whose only job was to make sure there were enough delivery trucks in his area to meet the demand. Both of them had their own record keepers, whose only job was to expedite all the bills that needed to be paid and to keep each vehicle's records complete and up to date.

That's at least 4 jobs, and my son wasn't the only fleet mechanic in town. His boss was another mechanic who serviced all the semi's and specialty vehicles, and his boss had his own associates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 02:21 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Even than progress is great.
How can progress be great when it will eventually eat into your profit margin based on lower sales because fewer people can afford your product/service? Remember, variable costs are tied to sales, but you still need to offset the fixed costs. This is accounting 101 here. If you do not have enough sales volume to pay off your costs and have extra, you likely wont be in business much longer. That's the issue I see. You want lower overhead but if you take it too far, you cause a stranglehold because it lowers aggregate demand because there aren't enough people working or in business for your product/service to make a sustainable net profit.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:36 AM

4,156 posts, read 2,847,310 times
Wait, Radio Shack is still in business?? Wow.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:05 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,497,412 times
Radio Shack has been on its dying legs for years.

Staples is overpriced, except for its back to school loss leaders. Much cheaper to go to Walmart for immediate office supplies, or order online.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:16 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,932,603 times
Brick & Mortar stores aren't going away completely, there will just be less competing chains and the remaining stores downsize to basically a skeleton operation. They have to compete with online retailers which have lower overhead and therefore can offer lower prices.

Whenever I buy something at an overpriced retail store I consider it to be a "convenience" charge in getting a product right away without waiting for shipment.

The last time I was at RadioShack I was low on cash and the manager just basically gave away the products to me. I still would rather shop there than at Walmart, where one has to wade through crowds of drugged up welfare recipients, empty shelves, and long lines at the registers/self checkout. And also that bad techno music they have recently been playing.

Last edited by s1alker; 03-08-2014 at 09:28 AM..

Old 03-08-2014, 11:05 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,553,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
1,325 stores...that's a lot of employees without jobs.
Why are you all of a sudden worried about this? You and yours were cheering for GM and Chrysler to go bankrupt.

Let's just admit that conservatives get mixed up sometimes about what they throw tantrums over and move on to the next one.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,583,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Why are you all of a sudden worried about this? You and yours were cheering for GM and Chrysler to go bankrupt.

Let's just admit that conservatives get mixed up sometimes about what they throw tantrums over and move on to the next one.
And the left are dismissing this with a wave of their hand saying they don't deserve to be in business.
Hypocrisy runs on both sides my friend.

A job is a job but it's only worthwhile if your side thinks so.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:13 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,593,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
It's Obama's fault that people are buying stuff online?
Yes, dems set a precedent with blaming bush for everything so it goes both ways.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:43 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,947,024 times
Radio Shack was going under long before this recession which like many business it just quickened. Happens even in best of times; tho just takes longer likely. China just had a Solar company default being the first ever. to default.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:49 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,375,209 times
Boy, these two companies are in serious trouble unless they can prove they didn't close those stores and layoff those people due to obamacare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies