Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 07:05 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,546,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Maybe they should be less mouthy about it and just prove themselves in the world through their actions.
Actually, what should happen is that their classmates should use the opportunity, and learn to be less racist in their thinking. And yes, it is bare-faced racism to assume that a person is unqualified based entirely on their skin color.

But white people have had 400 years to pick up on that one and a sizable portion of them are still spewing asinine stereotypes (thanks, tickyul, for providing an excellent example), so there's no point wasting time on some backwards-thinking college brats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 07:23 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,955,756 times
One of my tenants is an African-American graduate of Harvard originally from Washington, DC, who is now a professor at Drexel University. In fact he is the longest tenant I have - 9 1/2 years. The professor has a great affinity for Jewish people and is teaching himself Yiddish words and phrases. He greatly admires the American Jewish writers like Malamud, Bellow, Roth, Singer, Vonnegut, etc. you see.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:37 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,433,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
One of my tenants is an African-American graduate of Harvard originally from Washington, DC, who is now a professor at Drexel University. In fact he is the longest tenant I have - 9 1/2 years. The professor has a great affinity for Jewish people and is teaching himself Yiddish words and phrases. He greatly admires the American Jewish writers like Malamud, Bellow, Roth, Singer, Vonnegut, etc. you see.
So he's not a hip-hop professor?

Old 03-09-2014, 10:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I think this has been done before.

However, it would be even more interesting to see "smart" black, studious kids conduct a project like this based on what they are told in predominantly poor black neighborhoods.

I'd venture to say that the comments aren't too different.
You realize that most of the black kids getting into Harvard are from middle class backgrounds right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
Interesting.

How did you come to this conclusion?
Because it is accompanied by a look of surprise, and it is completely out of context. It has happened to me many times.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:16 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,757,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Well, I can only from my observation. Speaking as someone with English as my second language, sometimes I'm scared to death of talking with black people. It's hard for me to understand what the hell they're saying. And to be fair, I feel the same way with southern accent.

I try my best to enunciate my words clear enough for my peers to understand. My peers tell me I sound just fine with just a little hint of foreigner's accent.

Speaking clearly is a sign of respect to your peers. And especially in a professional setting, you don't want your peers to spend half their brain power trying to decipher what the hell you're saying to them.

I don't hold it against foreign speakers for their lack of clear English. I do hold it against people who are born here but are insistent on speaking ebonics or slang or whatever the hell you want to call it. It's unprofessional. It's disrespectful.

I came to this country not speaking a word of English. I've tried my darnest to be able to speak properly. I expect the same respect from my peers.
Kudos to you, because some born and raised here can barely speak proper English.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:34 AM

30,078 posts, read 18,689,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You realize that most of the black kids getting into Harvard are from middle class backgrounds right?

Because it is accompanied by a look of surprise, and it is completely out of context. It has happened to me many times.

I agree.

When I was on the admissions committee for med school (two years), I was also on the EOP (equal opportunity program) panel which concerned minority admissions.

I found it odd that ALL of those who recieved full funding for med school via minority status were from wealthy or upper middle class backgrounds, while I was dirt poor. I would offer that the opportunities that they had for a better highschool and college education far exceeded mine, simply due to economic issues. Incidentally, this poor white trash kid had far better GPA and MCAT scores than the rich black kids. These guys (and gals) would wear very nice, in fashion clothes and drive new cars, while the rest of us lived like bums.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:29 AM

13,979 posts, read 5,638,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Seriously? You don't see the issue. Do people walk up to you and assume you are stupid and unqualified? #smh
This is the disadvantage downside to the advantage that is the institutional racism of affirmative action. So far as I can tell, it's the only direct disadvantage to recipients of affirmative action. Black people have an easier time getting into prestigious universities simply for being black (something that requires no extra effort, input, time, money, etc), and as the one and only consequence, get to go through life with people they do not know prejudging their accomplishments as partially due to the benefits of affirmative action, thus diminishing their accomplishments.

Welcome to getting an advantage and having people who don't get it being petty, jealous and angry at the injustice of it. I'd love to cry a river over the hurt feelings in the black community, but I can't. Affirmative Action is institutional racism injustice created at the federal level to "cure" prior racism injustices at the state and local levels. It is a violation of the letter/spirit of both the 14th Amendment and Civil Rights Act, and used as an artificial wedge issue to keep racial division alive and well in the US, since that makes for really easy politics and class warfare.

But don't look for sympathy. Do we cry a river for anyone else anywhere in society who gets handed advantage after advantage, but wants us to look past their advantages and take them seriously? In this thread, all manner of derision and apathy is slung at whites, legacy applicants, rich kids, etc. Nobody wants to hear their nonsense because they got an advantage and who cares if anyone takes them seriously. Same goes for blacks getting their AA bennies. Take your unfair advantage and just shut up about it. Yeah, by and large you'll end up not being taken seriously by some number of people who want to focus only on the advantage and not what you did with it. And? Either deal with it or push to have the abomination that is AA repealed wherever it exists.

But you can't keep the advantage with no downside. Everything has a cost, especially free lunches from Uncle Sam.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:20 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,380,043 times
Some sources claim legacies make up nearly 30% of Harvard students. Of course, given time, minority students will have created legacies themselves.

The Ivy league is overrated in terms of quality education anyway. The cache of the 'brand name' one's resume, however, cannot be underestimated. Oh, well.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:18 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,955,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

The Ivy league is overrated in terms of quality education anyway. The cache of the 'brand name' one's resume, however, cannot be underestimated.
I respectfully disagree. Of course there are non-"Ivy" universities which offer a superb quality education ... but the "Ivies" really are special. I have this opinion because I work at one. I am astonished at the activities and resources offered the students: courses and lectures taught by sitting US Supreme Court justices and Nobel Prize winners, the unbelievably rich and varied cultural amenities (we have one of best, if not THE best museum collection of classical antiquities in the Western Hemisphere on campus) .... not a mention a 7 Billion dollar endowment (Harvard has a $30 Billion endowment!) , etc. etc. ad infinitum. Foreign students from places like India and China were groomed from birth to excel in studies and their families invest tens of thousands of dollars on counselor/agents to guide them just to admissions and acceptence; when accepted they gladly pay $70,000 a year tuition and fees. Why? Because a graduate degree from the Wharton School of Business or doctorate in law at PennLaw does indeed have real value far above mere "cachet."

Yes, privilege has it's rewards.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:12 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,687,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I respectfully disagree. Of course there are non-"Ivy" universities which offer a superb quality education ... but the "Ivies" really are special. I have this opinion because I work at one. I am astonished at the activities and resources offered the students: courses and lectures taught by sitting US Supreme Court justices and Nobel Prize winners, the unbelievably rich and varied cultural amenities (we have one of best, if not THE best museum collection of classical antiquities in the Western Hemisphere on campus) .... not a mention a 7 Billion dollar endowment (Harvard has a $30 Billion endowment!) , etc. etc. ad infinitum. Foreign students from places like India and China were groomed from birth to excel in studies and their families invest tens of thousands of dollars on counselor/agents to guide them just to admissions and acceptence; when accepted they gladly pay $70,000 a year tuition and fees. Why? Because a graduate degree from the Wharton School of Business or doctorate in law at PennLaw does indeed have real value far above mere "cachet."

Yes, privilege has it's rewards.
But what are Ivy degrees actually worth in the real world? What education do they provide that isn't at a typical state university? Again, it has been proven that Ivy degrees do not boost your potential income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies