Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 06:51 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,211,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
None were complaining? Seriously?

The first guy to appear in the video says:

"Blackness to me is faith. It's having faith in what we don't see because we as a people often don't see validation. We don't see uplifting, in the context of mainstream America or even situations like Harvard so for me it's having faith that, you know, I am significant, I'm valid, I'm valuable, even though everything else is telling me that I'm not."

Here's a guy who attends Harvard, and was likely recruited and offered scholarships by a dozen other elite schools. This whiner has seen more validation in his young life than 99.999% of the human population.
Hi, No, they are not complaining. In the quote above that you highlight, he is saying "...I'm valid, I'm valuable, even though everything else is telling me that I am not." That is, despite what society says what he is, he has triumphed above that and has respect for himself. A casual glance at this particular section of City Data exemplifies the negative attributes American society places on Black people. Ie, Black lives DON"T matter, why do blacks not care for their children, why are blacks always having babies with different fathers, why do blacks think studying is acting white, why are they so lazy... I'm sure you get the point. If you think these things are true for all Blacks then you should fully understand what this young man is expressing. When he is walking home at night on the street, people don't always see an accomplished citizen. More often than not, they will see a criminal because of the color of his skin. I hope I'm making sense.

As White people, we don't have to think about our ethnicity. We can walk down the street and women don't clutch their purses. We can walk into a store and not get followed by security, we can walk in neighborhoods that we don't live in and nobody will call the police on us. It doesn't matter if they are working at McDonald's or have an MBA from Harvard. They get treated the same. Yes, I know there are exceptions and I am making more generalized statements but the crux of the problem is there and very true in our society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 07:29 PM

15,291 posts, read 7,823,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Hi, No, they are not complaining. In the quote above that you highlight, he is saying "...I'm valid, I'm valuable, even though everything else is telling me that I am not." That is, despite what society says what he is, he has triumphed above that and has respect for himself.
Yes, incredibly, he is saying that. He has likely spent his life showered in compliments and respect from society for his academic skills. Black kids who wind up at Harvard have often been treated like rock stars - fussed over, feted and flown in to visit campuses where people show them a good time and beg them to attend. Deep down he probably feels unworthy of all the praise he has received. So he denies his own reality and takes on this ridiculous persona.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Yes, incredibly, he is saying that. He has likely spent his life showered in compliments and respect from society for his academic skills. Black kids who wind up at Harvard have often been treated like rock stars - fussed over, feted and flown in to visit campuses where people show them a good time and beg them to attend. Deep down he probably feels unworthy of all the praise he has received. So he denies his own reality and takes on this ridiculous persona.
Ok, you clearly only read to the point that you quote me so I will say that you did not get my point. You do not know that he was showered with anything. He told the camera his experience. Why do you think you know his life experience better then he does? Think hard on this one...

Old 09-17-2015, 08:01 PM

15,291 posts, read 7,823,018 times
Quote:
He told the camera his experience.
Not really. Some of the others in the video did, but he just gave us the generic I'm-a-downtrodden-and-disrespected-black-person-who-shall-overcome routine.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:01 PM

16,943 posts, read 10,703,065 times
The poor minority Harvard students. Sounds like a bunch of overly self-conscious people to me.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Not really. Some of the others in the video did, but he just gave us the generic I'm-a-downtrodden-and-disrespected-black-person-who-shall-overcome routine.
I know, those uppity n$ggers are just too much. I tried with you but you do not want to listen.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:41 PM

20,523 posts, read 15,996,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Because when you look at the qualifications of a black person to get in an elite university versus and white Asian qualification to get in the same university, it's not comparable. At some point, we need to a point of selecting based on merit and not skin color.
Agreed and HOW! There's def NO "affirmative action" for people who ain't "Black" in sports. Either the player makes the cut on merit or doesn't and, I def DON'T hear anglo white people being butt hurt of NOT making it in the NBA, football and so on. The SAME needs to be done in any other area of life.

The ONLY place I'm good with AA is for US veterans, especially combat vets of ANY race.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
It depends on how you define "merit" though. And let's be honest, if everything were based on test scores and grades white people (the domestic variety anyway) would have been cut out of the fold in large numbers a while ago. Most of these colleges like the 8 Ivy's, MIT, CalTech, Stanford, Berkley etc etc would be overwhelmingly Eastern Asian, Indian, Middle Eastern, Eastern European and Sub-Saharan African provided they could get the right visas to attend them.

Foreign whites and Eastern European Jews have been over representing the number of whites who actually go onto the these schools for years now. The average white kid diagnosed with ADD and/or with an eating disorder consuming large amounts of McDonalds and Taylor Swift aren't making the cut these days.
Agreed and, I'm def "white". It is what it is. Either we step up our game or; we'll be passed by, by the kind of people you talked about as long as they come to the US legally. To be fair; the people coming here from especially India, Middle East and Africa many times ARE their "best", many of the "regular" people from there are NO better than our PWT or hood rats and many of those places are mad over the "brain drain" TO the US.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I know, those uppity n$ggers are just too much. I tried with you but you do not want to listen.
Excuse me? Uppity WHAT?! Decent Black people ain't "uppity" most of the time. They DON'T have anything to to prove but, they DO have the rep of really hating hood rats because the rats can make the 1st group look bad.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Excuse me? Uppity WHAT?! Decent Black people ain't "uppity" most of the time. They DON'T have anything to to prove but, they DO have the rep of really hating hood rats because the rats can make the 1st group look bad.
Pretty bad, huh. I tried to reason with this poster but it didn't work so I used language he could understand. You seem to understand better since you know many white people associate hood rats with all blacks. It's an unfortunate scenario that these Harvard students put up with. They are hood rat Black first before they are Harvard students. Regardless of circumstances. Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies