Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 09:38 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,638,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
In some cases (like the famous baker story)
It is all about bullying people into doing something against their religious convictions. Got it. They are such pathetically easy targets aren’t they? On the other hand just how many businesses are out there that actually happen to be run by people of faith? Not really a whole lot as they are few and far between whereas the overwhelming vast majority of businesses in fact are not so inclined.

For a group that claims that it doesn’t like being bullied they sure relish the opportunity to be the bully themselves when it presents itself in the form of the rare and infrequent establishments run by people of faith. Many in the general public consider this pushing too far and this is resulting in a well earned and long overdue public backlash as evidenced by the necessity of religious freedom bills.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:40 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,223,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
It is all about bullying people into doing something against their religious convictions. Got it. They are such pathetically easy targets aren’t they? On the other hand just how many businesses are out there that actually happen to be run by people of faith? Not really a whole lot as they are few and far between whereas the overwhelming vast majority of businesses in fact are not so inclined.

For a group that claims that it doesn’t like being bullied they sure relish the opportunity to be the bully themselves when it presents itself in the form of the rare and infrequent establishments run by people of faith. Many in the general public consider this pushing too far and this is resulting in a well earned and long overdue public backlash as evidenced by the necessity of religious freedom bills.
Why is a baker in the business of making wedding cakes if they don't want to make wedding cakes for religious reasons? Why not stop selling wedding cakes if it is too hard for them to understand the difference between running a business and praying in church.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:49 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,278,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Why is a baker in the business of making wedding cakes if they don't want to make wedding cakes for religious reasons? Why not stop selling wedding cakes if it is too hard for them to understand the difference between running a business and praying in church.
So you are for separation of Church and business? Owning a business does not mean you can not put what you want in the business like a cross in the window. Part of having a business is to have freedom to make the business you want and also serve who you want. If a business for whatever reason said I could not get service their I would not have a big tantrum like a two year old and make a big deal I would take my business elsewhere. That is what is great about America the freedom to work and shop anywhere. This whole comparison to black people and equal rights is ridiculous and insulting to black people.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:58 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,500,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
So you are for separation of Church and business? Owning a business does not mean you can not put what you want in the business like a cross in the window. Part of having a business is to have freedom to make the business you want and also serve who you want. If a business for whatever reason said I could not get service their I would not have a big tantrum like a two year old and make a big deal I would take my business elsewhere. That is what is great about America the freedom to work and shop anywhere. This whole comparison to black people and equal rights is ridiculous and insulting to black people.
What is insulting is people thinking equal rights are only blacks, when equal rights and civil rights belong to everyone. Owning a business does not require religion and religion cannot be used to discriminate against anyone when operating a business open to the public. Why should those with beliefs be allowed to break the law when others cannot? It does not take religion to operate a business.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:06 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,278,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
What is insulting is people thinking equal rights are only blacks, when equal rights and civil rights belong to everyone. Owning a business does not require religion and religion cannot be used to discriminate against anyone when operating a business open to the public. Why should those with beliefs be allowed to break the law when others cannot? It does not take religion to operate a business.
Black people were slaves and many died that is a lot different then not being able to marry someone of the same sex. No Federal law says you have to serve anyone you want. Of course you can can refuse based on religion would a christian bakery make a cake for a Jewish or Muslim person probably not and why should they? The whole reason the Pilgrims came to America was to get away from the tyranny and rules and have religious freedom and saying who you can or can not serve goes against that idea.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:52 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,852,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
What the homosexual activists wanted was to force a Christian baker to participate in their same-sex wedding knowing the baker would find it morally repugnant.
The gay couple wasn't refused service because they were gay.
You're 100% wrong, on both points.

The baker wasn't forced (or invited) to participate in a wedding. How is "open oven door, put in cake, set timer", PARTICIPATING? Its the same activity for EVERYONE'S wedding. The baker was not invited to be best man, usher, flower girl, etc. He just bakes cakes!

And second point - yes, that IS the reason they were refused service. Its not because the "cake" itself was gay. Don't play dumb.

Last edited by css9450; 03-05-2014 at 06:03 AM..

Old 03-05-2014, 06:18 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,852,963 times
Quote:
...would a christian bakery make a cake for a Jewish or Muslim person probably not and why should they?
Do you seriously think that? I'm certain that christian bakers (or chefs or mechanics or doctors or salesmen or architects) perform their services for those of other faiths all the time. ALL the time. Do you think every business should be pigeonholed to only service those of the same faith? "Sorry, sir, we can't sell you new tires. We're a Baptist establishment and you're Jewish."

And vise-versa. Just one example: Every Subway restaurant around here is run by people of Indian descent, or so it seems. They're Hindu, so they're vegetarian. They don't eat meat. But they serve meat, all kinds of meat. Turkey, ham, beef... And they serve it to people of all faiths too.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:26 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,689,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
I'm black and I co-own a taxi company. Particularly in this economy, YOU BET I'd certainly drive around KKK leaders! Work is work, even though I find the KKK morally repugnant. And I pretty much AM obligated to drive them around since we advertise in the yellow pages and are on switchboard.com, yelp.com and numerous other business-related sites. I'm not allowed to discriminate.
Well, that was a bad example on my part, driving someone from the KKK around does not make you an active participant in their activities.

I'm just trying to figure out where to draw the line.

As a business owner who provides services, it's impossible for me to predict every imaginable variation possible, for the services I'll be called on to provide. At some point I should have the freedom to say I'm sorry but I never imagined I'd be called on to do X, and I just cannot in good conscience do that.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:34 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,223,587 times
Quote:
Black people were slaves and many died that is a lot different then not being able to marry someone of the same sex. No Federal law says you have to serve anyone you want. Of course you can can refuse based on religion would a christian bakery make a cake for a Jewish or Muslim person probably not and why should they? The whole reason the Pilgrims came to America was to get away from the tyranny and rules and have religious freedom and saying who you can or can not serve goes against that idea.
No, you cannot use religion to discriminate, that is the whole point of the Pilgrims coming to America. So that they could practice religion without discrimination.

You can be as Christian as you want with your business, but you can't turn away people just because they believe a different religion or have a different skin color or have a different sexual orientation.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:35 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,372,081 times
Quote:
No. A bakery or any sort of business is a public accommodation. Now a shop that sells food can make products that conform to religious standards - such as halal/kosher (no pork), but they have to make that available to everyone of any religion or culture. So a Muslim bakery shop can and will sell a Christian halal baked goods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies