Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 04:28 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,020,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Only if there is a large profit return.

However Hollywood does discriminate against open Christians and conservatives. This has been well documented countless times and you can research it yourself. If you are an open Christian or express Christian beliefs, you will have a hard time finding employment in the industry. Same goes for conservatives. It will be hard to find someone to fund and produce your films.

There are a lot of Christians and conservatives in Hollywood, but most of them keep it on the down-low and simply don't talk about it. There are a few who are can because they are established, but aside from that you rarely ever see an actor or director express a Christian or conservative belief. 90%+ of the time it's liberal or atheistic/secular.

Hell there is even a group in Hollywood called The Friends of Abe, which was founded by conservative actors and a directors as a group to help other conservatives from the liberal bias in Hollywood.
Really? Then why do so many actors & actresses thank G-d in their acceptance speeches?

And since you're claiming a bias against ANY religious people, did you miss the memo that the Jews "run" Hollywood? As a Jewish person myself, I can confirm that stereotype isn't exactly untrue. LOL

Old 03-04-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Ill give you that one then. Personally, if it were me, Id say sure but I would not add certain things to the cake that would acknowledge gay marriage. That though, would probably not sit well with them and we'd be in the same situation. Id most likely bake a cake for any respectful customer, but there are things I would refuse to put on or decorate the cake with.
What exactly on a cake would "acknowledge gay marriage?" I've been to about 6-7 weddings in the last few years (for straight couples), and not a single cake acknowledged their heterosexuality... people don't even use cake toppers much anymore, unless it's a funny or sentimental one. Just went to an Orthodox Jewish wedding over the weekend, and the cake had nothing but sugar flowers & silk ribbons.

But if we're talking about the actual content of the cake, you probably WOULD have the right to say no. They can say "we don't do that kind of design," but saying "we do that type of cake, just not for YOU" is where it becomes discriminatory. Do you see the difference there?

Quote:
Having said that, as bad as it may seem, I do believe businesses should have any right to refuse service. Let the market decide once word gets out, if they stay open or not. Not government.
We tried that (prior to the 1950s-60s) and it failed. Aren't we supposed to learn from history, so it doesn't repeat itself? Believe me - I wish I could support your position here, since I'm definitely of the libertarian mindset when it comes to personal freedoms. But we're not talking about a personal freedom here, we are talking about the public's right to be served equally... and as history has shown, there will always be a marginalized group suffering when "unrestricted freedoms" are granted to public-serving businesses.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:17 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,639,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
A wedding cake, is a wedding cake, is a wedding cake.
No it isn't. To you it's just a cake but to others in society including but not limited to the religious who believe that marriage is traditional and only a man and a woman, a wedding cake is something special that remains exclusively for the ceremony joining a man and woman in marriage. Holy matrimony. For anything else it is “just a cake” but by no means whatsoever will it ever be a “wedding” cake. A man/man or woman/woman is not marriage traditional or otherwise no matter how much you stamp your feet, wave a piece of paper around, or hold your breath until your faces turn blue. You can not force or bully everyone in society either but you sure enjoy bullying the religious bakery, photographer or inn. It’s more important for you to bully, force, kick the teeth in, teach them a lesson and shut them down because they dared to not recognize your so-called homosexualized “marriage” and have the audacity to believe in traditional marriage only. The icing on the cake for you is that their religious beliefs must be defiled in order to satisfy your demands and they refuse.

If you don’t like the religious baker, photographer or inn then why go there?

Old 03-04-2014, 06:21 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,239,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
No it isn't. To you it's just a cake but to others in society including but not limited to the religious who believe that marriage is traditional and only a man and a woman, a wedding cake is something special that remains exclusively for the ceremony joining a man and woman in marriage. Holy matrimony. For anything else it is “just a cake” but by no means whatsoever will it ever be a “wedding” cake. A man/man or woman/woman is not marriage traditional or otherwise no matter how much you stamp your feet, wave a piece of paper around, or hold your breath until your faces turn blue. You can not force or bully everyone in society either but you sure enjoy bullying the religious bakery, photographer or inn. It’s more important for you to bully, force, kick the teeth in, teach them a lesson and shut them down because they dared to not recognize your so-called homosexualized “marriage” and have the audacity to believe in traditional marriage only. The icing on the cake for you is that their religious beliefs must be defiled in order to satisfy your demands and they refuse.

If you don’t like the religious baker, photographer or inn then than why go there?
The cake is not involved in the wedding ceremony. The cake is present at the reception AFTER the wedding ceremony.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:30 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:

With this cake, I thee wed.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
No it isn't. To you it's just a cake but to others in society including but not limited to the religious who believe that marriage is traditional and only a man and a woman, a wedding cake is something special that remains exclusively for the ceremony joining a man and woman in marriage.
To me, books and music are sacred. Still doesn't change the fact that I must allow ANY patron to borrow ANY book, regardless of how I feel they will view or use it. As long as they're not physically damaging it, I am in no place to dictate who should be allowed to use these "sacred" books. What if an Atheist wanted to borrow the Bible (yes, we do carry them at the library) just to make fun of it, or to use in a speech against Christianity & Judaism? Should I be allowed to refuse borrowing privileges to them?

Quote:
In some cases (like the famous baker story) they DID like the business - at least what they normally provide, and in the case of that baker, how they did on the mother's wedding cake. And even if they didn't like their work, or chose to go elsewhere, does that excuse a business violating the law? If everyone in history had just "gone somewhere they were wanted" instead of fighting injustices, what would society look like today? I'm guessing black people would still be sitting in the back of buses, women wouldn't be hired even in jobs for which they were highly qualified, etc. So I say good for them!

FYI: I am a religious(ish) person, before you go saying I hate people with religious beliefs. And even as someone who practices religion, I don't think our personal beliefs should be used to discriminate against other groups. I also don't see how baking a cake violates these beliefs, just as I don't feel I'm violating my beliefs by letting a neo-Nazi borrow books from my library. Does that mean I'm endorsing Nazism?

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-04-2014 at 07:02 PM..

Old 03-04-2014, 06:49 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,242,443 times
Quote:

I am still curious how someone makes a cake gay, I didn't realize they were made with a sexual orientation.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:50 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,289,000 times
Quote:

They're cheap? They're good at what they do? The happy couple has a coupon? To make a statement? Doesn't matter.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:52 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,120,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am still curious how someone makes a cake gay, I didn't realize they were made with a sexual orientation.
And I'm curious about these Christian bakeries. Do they attend church on Sundays? Are they baptised?

Old 03-04-2014, 06:55 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,854,612 times
Quote:
No it isn't. To you it's just a cake but to others in society including but not limited to the religious who believe that marriage is traditional and only a man and a woman, a wedding cake is something special ...
Yes, its a straw that you continue to grasp at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies