Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 01:49 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,103,052 times

Advertisements

Black men have huge packages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 02:33 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,284,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I'm one of those people who believe that stereotypes are usually half true, but one that I call complete BS on is gay men have high pitched squeaking voices.

As a gay man, with thousands of gay friends, I have never heard something as nonsensical as this stereotype. If you walked into a crowded gay bar and specifically wanted to find someone speaking with a high pitched vocal fry you would honestly have a difficult time doing so.
I know what you mean. I am a gay man and work in the oil and gas industry and know other gay men that do the same. I have gay buds who are cops, airline pilots, mechanics, firefighters, butcher, military, truckers. I think it is so strange that so many folks think gay men are sissies or flamboyant. I blame a lot of it only hollywood and media. It seems every show on prime time tv portrays gay men as being flamboyant just like Jack on "Will and Grace" or during every gay event the local news finds the most outrageous flamboyant queen to put on the local news.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:39 PM

29,725 posts, read 16,821,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post
"Stereotyping" is such a bad word these days. Funny thing is, most stereotypes are based in reality. If they weren't, they wouldn't become popular.

But I'm sure some politically correct people disagree about that. So name me one stereotype that isn't based in reality.
The word stereotype itself means gross exaggeration. To even attempt to make the point you are trying to make is to change the meaning of the word.

maybe you dont realize you are using the word wrong... or maybe you dont realize that "based in reality" is not the same as everyone of a certain group having that trait.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:43 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,587,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Kind of a trivial one (and not political or controversial), but it used to bother one of my friends - the stereotype that tall guys are good at basketball. My friend was tall but wasn't particularly good at basketball in high school and wasn't interested in it - but invariably, people meeting him for the first time brought up "you must be great at basketball!"
My daughter dated a tall guy (6'4") who was a band nerd. People would ask, "Do you play basketball?" and he'd say, "No, I play the trumpet".

Old 01-27-2014, 03:14 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,818,900 times
Few informed people who stereotype believe it is true all the time.

But ill-informed people try to fight stereotypes by saying we believe the stereotype is true all the time and find an exception to the rule.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:21 PM

73,463 posts, read 63,511,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Few informed people who stereotype believe it is true all the time.

But ill-informed people try to fight stereotypes by saying we believe the stereotype is true all the time and find an exception to the rule.
And an informed person understands that stereotypes do not apply to the majority of the persons in a group.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:24 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,818,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And an informed person understands that stereotypes do not apply to the majority of the persons in a group.
Yes, they do! They are true the majority of the time, just not all the time!

Old 01-27-2014, 03:33 PM

73,463 posts, read 63,511,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Yes, they do! They are true the majority of the time, just not all the time!
Not really. There is a difference between cultural traits, and stereotypes. Stereotyping is taking behavior of a minority of those within a group, and applying it to everyone. Cultural traits, well, that is something that is common to the culture.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:36 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,958,528 times
are all stereotype based on reality???
ok here u go
if i am black, someone dressed in a baseball cap that is white with a southern accent.
he could be evil but maybe not-- only posturing.
if i am white someone with his pants half down with lots of gold chains.
he could be evil but maybe not--- only posturing
like viet nam the shoe shine boy might be here just to shine shoes or maybe he got a bomb in the box and is going to kill u
the question for all of the above
are you feeling lucky?
fear determines most of our behavior every day

Old 01-27-2014, 04:16 PM

63,628 posts, read 29,847,770 times
Well, for one thing stereotyping the majority of the GOP as being racists so that isn't reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies