Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:41 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,384,118 times

Advertisements

OLYMPIA, Wash.: State of State: Inslee says minimum wage too low | Business | The News Tribune
Democratic Gov. Jay Inslee wants to plump up the highest minimum wage in the land, @ $9.32/hr, to somewhere between $10.82 and $11.82/hr, presumably the final number to be determined by tarot cards, tea leaves, or chicken entrails (as opposed to supply/demand).

Generally I believe that minimum wage laws are a bad idea. But if we're going to do it, let's do it in an honest manner. You can't make people better off by issuing a mandated number by fiat. Otherwise we could simply legislate that all Americans MUST be millionaires. The real minimum wage is always zero--no job.

But if we're bound and determined to do a minimum wage, let's do it in an honest manner, like the proposal by Marco Rubio. You don't get something for nothing. If you want to help low wage workers, you're going to have to fork over taxes and subsidize them.
Marco Rubio: ‘I don’t think a minimum wage law works’

Enough of the con-artist, carnie economics. Something for nothing is always, always, always, a fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 06:48 PM

Undoubtedly Gov Inslee has been inspired by self-described 'Marxist' Kshama Sawant, newly-elected Seattle city council member, who has made the $15/hr minimum wage her touchstone. It could be that a corporatist like Inslee is scared s******* of a Sawant and seeks to head her off at the pass. Or it could be that he is just dumb enough to believe that a declaration by fiat can help people. Who knows?

Old 01-16-2014, 06:49 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,674,495 times
I'm for whatever makes working people ineligible for welfare.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then you should oppose the minimum wage. If working people lose their jobs due to being priced out of the market, they become eligible for welfare.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:09 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,978,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That's easy enough. Anyone who works is not eligible for welfare. Conditions met perfectly.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:01 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,229,951 times
Good for Washington, I wouldn't be surprised if Oregon was right behind them on this. Just one of the many reasons why I love the northwest so much.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:06 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Giving people more money won't solve the problem.

Government's answer to everything is to throw more money at it.

According to the BLS only 1% of workers earn min wage or less.
3.8 million.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Giving people more money won't solve the problem.

Government's answer to everything is to throw more money at it.

According to the BLS only 1% of workers earn min wage or less.
3.8 million.
Government isn't throwing any money at anything by raising the minimum wage. Also if it effects such a small percentage of people, why do you care if they make a bit higher wage to help cover their cost of living?

Old 01-17-2014, 06:18 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Government isn't throwing any money at anything by raising the minimum wage. Also if it effects such a small percentage of people, why do you care if they make a bit higher wage to help cover their cost of living?
Yes they are throwing money at a problem and hope it will go away as they typically do.
I don't care what they legislate..let them go as high as $15-20-30/hour.
The "problem" though will not go away and only get worse as time goes on.

Now we can add this "War against wages" to our other perpetual wars.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes they are throwing money at a problem and hope it will go away as they typically do.
I don't care what they legislate..let them go as high as $15-20-30/hour.
The "problem" though will not go away and only get worse as time goes on.

Now we can add this "War against wages" to our other perpetual wars.
So you are saying more people are becoming minimum wage workers? Also government doesn't pay private sector jobs, unless you include the welfare the working poor need due to their wages being too low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies