Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 07:02 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
SNAP $800
medicaid $500
free lunch $100

There is the math. You can do the rest.
So you don't know if your numbers are per person or combined hourly pay? Strange, it is like you stopped halfway without completing your math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 07:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you don't know if your numbers are per person or combined hourly pay? Strange, it is like you stopped halfway without completing your math.
Oh I know and I've posted several times on other threads.
You can do simple math here can't you ?

Will $3/hour more cover $1400/month in government programs ?

All you keep doing is asking questions.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:08 AM

7,272 posts, read 4,216,976 times
you proponents do realize that the added costs are ultimately passed along to the consumer/taxpayer ... and this just feeds more tax revenue into the system to keep the extend and pretend going. this is like putting another coat of paint over a rotten board - that's all. also buys some votes for those "looking out for the working poor".

Old 01-17-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Oh I know and I've posted several times on other threads.
You can do simple math here can't you ?

Will $3/hour more cover $1400/month in government programs ?

All you keep doing is asking questions.
3x8x40x4x.7=2688, so yes it does cover more than $1400.

You still aren't answering my question though, I wonder why?

Old 01-17-2014, 07:19 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Undoubtedly Gov Inslee has been inspired by self-described 'Marxist' Kshama Sawant, newly-elected Seattle city council member, who has made the $15/hr minimum wage her touchstone. It could be that a corporatist like Inslee is scared s******* of a Sawant and seeks to head her off at the pass. Or it could be that he is just dumb enough to believe that a declaration by fiat can help people. Who knows?
I know that it's their problem - If the State of Washington wants to pad the Union's pocketbooks and raise more Taxes to pay for that - it's their choice. Their Economy, they can do whatever they like.

A rise in the Minimum Wage is an automatic rise in wages to all Union employees - that's the REAL reason the Leftists are pushing Minimum Wage hikes. The Washington State economy has struggled - they are basically at 7% unemployment now, but it's only 14 counties that have 7% or less. Some of the others are still over 9%.

Governor Inslee sounds a bit like a recording of our Fearless Leader. Maybe he saves money on speech writers - he ticked all the Leftists checkboxes.

Jay Inslee State of the State Address

Quote:
OLYMPIA – Washington should raise its minimum wage, spend more on schools and highways, raise teacher salaries and do something about climate change, Gov. Jay Inslee said Tuesday.
They have the highest Gasoline tax in the Nation and are getting ready to raise it 10 cents a gallon, they have a case in Court with an April deadline because they have not paid contracted raises to teachers (they don't have the money). Sounds like raising the highest Minimum Wage in the Nation even higher is right up their alley. More power to them - perhaps they can get some emmigration for those minimum wage jobs and their new marijuana laws.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
3x8x40x4x.7=2688, so yes it does cover more than $1400.

You still aren't answering my question though, I wonder why?
Change that "40".
Most min wage workers are not working 40 hours..not by a long shot.
BLS average is 25 hours for retail/leisure industry jobs.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I know that it's their problem - If the State of Washington wants to pad the Union's pocketbooks and raise more Taxes to pay for that - it's their choice. Their Economy, they can do whatever they like.

A rise in the Minimum Wage is an automatic rise in wages to all Union employees - that's the REAL reason the Leftists are pushing Minimum Wage hikes. The Washington State economy has struggled - they are basically at 7% unemployment now, but it's only 14 counties that have 7% or less. Some of the others are still over 9%.

Governor Inslee sounds a bit like a recording of our Fearless Leader. Maybe he saves money on speech writers - he ticked all the Leftists checkboxes.

Jay Inslee State of the State Address

They have the highest Gasoline tax in the Nation and are getting ready to raise it 10 cents a gallon, they have a case in Court with an April deadline because they have not paid contracted raises to teachers (they don't have the money). Sounds like raising the highest Minimum Wage in the Nation even higher is right up their alley. More power to them - perhaps they can get some emmigration for those minimum wage jobs and their new marijuana laws.
You forgot to mention Washington has no state income tax.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Change that "40".
Most min wage workers are not working 40 hours..not by a long shot.
BLS average is 25 hours for retail/leisure industry jobs.
So minimum wage workers only have one job working 25 hrs a week?

Old 01-17-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
So minimum wage workers only have one job working 25 hrs a week?
Aren't you the ones crying about how burger flippers can't raise a family on min wage ?
Do the math on that min wage worker and come back and tell me how much that worker needs to make to raise a family with no government assistance.

"Fair wage" is all the left cry yet none of them can seem to do the Math to actually say what a fair wage is so that people don't need government assistance.

Min wage in Washington is already over $9/hour.
Someone working 40 hours (as you stated) makes over FPL and wouldn't be on gov programs.

But the whine is about those min wage workers raising families and being on welfare programs.
So do that math on that one.

$9/hour, 29 hour week is more likely what these poor families are getting by on where they qualify for welfare programs.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Aren't you the ones crying about how burger flippers can't raise a family on min wage ?
Do the math on that min wage worker and come back and tell me how much that worker needs to make to raise a family with no government assistance.

"Fair wage" is all the left cry yet none of them can seem to do the Math to actually say what a fair wage is so that people don't need government assistance.

Min wage in Washington is already over $9/hour.
Someone working 40 hours (as you stated) makes over FPL and wouldn't be on gov programs.

But the whine is about those min wage workers raising families and being on welfare programs.
So do that math on that one.

$9/hour, 29 hour week is more likely what these poor families are getting by on where they qualify for welfare programs.
29 hours a week? That is a lot of free time, yet the working poor always seem to be working and typically have multiple jobs.
Wage Gauge: Sea-Tac low-wage workers hold multiple jobs?and still struggle - Puget Sound Business Journal

This is an article about a woman who works 7 days a week with two jobs. I think your assumption of minimum wage workers only working one part time job is false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies