Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 08:42 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,661,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is federal minimum wage. Also servers should be making minimum wage, not less. The states that get away with paying less are just abusing a loophole.
WRONG again ... Do you know why servers dont get paid min wage? They make TIPS plus pay .

I never have seen a bartender EVER complain about making ends meet or making money , ive seen good bartenders make up to 200 bucks a night . Do the math , plus they have all day in the afternoon free. I dont see them complaining.

The other problem is that people are living OUT of their income ... A house comes with bills and its not easy either . They would do a lot better living in a apartment so they dont have to cover the extra expenses of what a house brings . People need to live in reality , if you cant afford something then dont buy it .

Just as Texan said before , all her life she worked at some entry level jobs , so that would be her fault for not wanting to move up the ladder. She works security , well if she wants more look for a higher paying job or get qualified to be an armed security guard so YOUR PAY INCREASES ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 08:42 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,522,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh I know and I've posted several times on other threads.
You can do simple math here can't you ?

Will $3/hour more cover $1400/month in government programs ?

All you keep doing is asking questions.

??? I don't know of any childless adults getting $1400/month in government programs,

Old 01-17-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
WRONG again ... Do you know why servers dont get paid min wage? They make TIPS plus pay .

I never have seen a bartender EVER complain about making ends meet or making money , ive seen good bartenders make up to 200 bucks a night . Do the math , plus they have all day in the afternoon free. I dont see them complaining.

The other problem is that people are living OUT of their income ... A house comes with bills and its not easy either . They would do a lot better living in a apartment so they dont have to cover the extra expenses of what a house brings . People need to live in reality , if you cant afford something then dont buy it .

Just as Texan said before , all her life she worked at some entry level jobs , so that would be her fault for not wanting to move up the ladder. She works security , well if she wants more look for a higher paying job or get qualified to be an armed security guard so YOUR PAY INCREASES ...

??? I don't know of any servers who are buying houses.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:47 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,256,579 times
Quote:

I worked 10 years in the tip based industry. I am also aware that not all shifts make a lot in tips. There are positions and locations where tips barely cover minimum wage if at all. I would rather tip based people get paid minimum wage and then their performance and shift will decide how much over minimum wage they make.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? I don't know of any servers who are buying houses.
? You make no sense ....I was pointing out why servers usually dont start at min wage , because they make tips as well..

Buying a house is up to YOU as a person , if you can afford it or not.

So i dunno what the point is of your replu

Old 01-17-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I worked 10 years in the tip based industry. I am also aware that not all shifts make a lot in tips. There are positions and locations where tips barely cover minimum wage if at all. I would rather tip based people get paid minimum wage and then their performance and shift will decide how much over minimum wage they make.
Um thats how the market is today , people start on min wage and based off performance it increases... If you dont get an increase then speak to your boss about it or look for another job. Simple.

Well one can pick and choose, so if your not making enough in tips or enough money to make ends meet then why stay at the job ?

Old 01-17-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Aren't you the ones crying about how burger flippers can't raise a family on min wage ?
Do the math on that min wage worker and come back and tell me how much that worker needs to make to raise a family with no government assistance.

"Fair wage" is all the left cry yet none of them can seem to do the Math to actually say what a fair wage is so that people don't need government assistance.

Min wage in Washington is already over $9/hour.
Someone working 40 hours (as you stated) makes over FPL and wouldn't be on gov programs.

But the whine is about those min wage workers raising families and being on welfare programs.
So do that math on that one.

$9/hour, 29 hour week is more likely what these poor families are getting by on where they qualify for welfare programs.

Could an individual I form a corporation C, and have C contract with I's employer to provide 11 weekly hours of labor? That way I could work 29 hours as I, plus 11 hours as C, for a rotal of 40 hours?

Old 01-17-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:
? You make no sense ....I was pointing out why servers usually dont start at min wage , because they make tips as well..

Buying a house is up to YOU as a person , if you can afford it or not.

So i dunno what the point is of your replu

Makes sense in the context of what you posted.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:06 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,256,579 times
Quote:
Um thats how the market is today , people start on min wage and based off performance it increases... If you dont get an increase then speak to your boss about it or look for another job. Simple.

Well one can pick and choose, so if your not making enough in tips or enough money to make ends meet then why stay at the job ?
Almost no tip based job gets raises, your raise usually comes from your performance with how much you make in tips.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:14 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,997,531 times
No matter what minimum wage will always be the bottom and the economy will just adjust prices to reflect cost; in the end .Minimum wages use to reflect teens and adults working part time jobs having no skills. The real problem is many have never gotten past that level as adults yet expect in a market economy to get paid beyond other more skilled workers. In the end it promote automation and less jobs at that level. That happens any time cost exceeds the value of work done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies