Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 01:28 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,028,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmMeeker View Post
It is the coach's job to impose discipline on his team. His job is to yell, cuss and sometimes slap a player upside the head. The coach is not doing this to bully a player or because he doesn't "like" the player. If he felt the player was hopeless, he would not have the player on his roster. He is doing it because he wants the player to be the best he knows the player can be. He is doing out of "love" for the player and the team. Good coaches know more about your ability than you know about your ability. They motivate you to get the maximum they know you have to give. It doesn't matter whether you are a ball player, an employee or in the military. Good leaders discipline and to some it may seem like being bullied. I recall when I was in basic training and I thought my TI was mean and evil treating an 18 year old like that when he yelled in my face. But as training went on, I realized this guy really cared about us and did not want to see us fail or even get hurt or killed later on.
Yep. And a good coach knows his players and knows how to motivate them. One guy needs to be yelled at.......another may need to be taken to the side and given a motivational talk away from others. Now in basic everybody gets yelled at........lol. Well I don't know anymore because liberals don't want any bullying there either so who knows?? Probably make cupcakes and have a tea party if they don't do what their told nowdays. lol

Old 11-16-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
A good percentage of Div I athletes are not in college for an education.
How insane are you? Do you think the only div I athletes play on the TV every week? A good percentage of them are there for that very reason to get a degree. The 1% of them will go on to make money. The rest get a free education. Lord have mercy.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:52 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,554,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Liberals have always hated football. Too much violence. The goal is to end it and play soccer. Of course soccer coaches never yell at players. lol

A Christmas Story - Ralphie Beats Up Bully - YouTube

Old 11-16-2013, 02:03 PM

16,641 posts, read 8,643,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The "he bullied me" is catching on.
Watch for more accusations to hit the news.
Exactly right!

As more and more sheltered kids/people expect life to treat them just as their parents arranged their whole lives, more cries of unfairness and bullying will emerge.

Parents will soon be treating their sons like daughters, and coddling them trying to prevent a scraped knee. Then when they get into the real world, they wont know how to handle what life will dish out to them.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:03 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,031,095 times
Hate to interrupt and be a little off topic but I have to laugh sometimes when I see adults riding their bicycle with a helmet on. And some places it's the law.

That's wussification to me.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:05 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,113,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Hate to interrupt and be a little off topic but I have to laugh sometimes when I see adults riding their bicycle with a helmet on. And some places it's the law.

That's wussification to me.
I very often ride my bike on the streets here in Denver to go places. I would never do so without a helmet - it would be stupid not to.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:14 PM

16,641 posts, read 8,643,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
"My football coach screamed in my face and I turned out ok." "My father beat the **** out of me and I turned out ok." "In my day being gay was frowned upon." Why is it so hard for the right wing to concede to social progress? Whats so terrible about an agenda wanting people to be nice to each other?
Classic

WANTING people to be nice to each other is a far cry from DEMANDING IT.

Coaches yell for good reason most of the time, and it has nothing to do with being nice or mean. Fathers use corporal punishment on their sons to help keep them in line or straighten them out. Again it has nothing to do with being nice or mean.
If there were more fathers disciplining their sons in the black community, there would be less violence and crime. For that matter, with the breakdown of the traditional family with single mothers raising kids alone, you are going to see an explosion of undisciplined kids and young adults.

Regardless, you can sit around the camp fire singing "We Are The World" all you want, but it will not make people be nice to each other in every walk of life.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
That is what you do to bullies. Nowdays you go cry to mommy or the teacher. Kids aren't taught reality they are taught nanny statism. Call 911 when you become an adult and all will be well. Now coaches can't even get in a kids face to try and make em better in the eyes of liberals. It's mean and not fair. I bet if that coach handed that kid a trophy the parents would love him more.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:37 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,842,027 times
he P&OC Forum has gone to hell in a handbasket. Arguing about spelling? Get real. Address the OP or move along.

You can say corporal punishment leads to this and that all you want, but doing nothing and raising irresponsible heathens absolutely leads to trouble. Find some middle ground and stop complaining. Coaches yell and scream, and, gasp(!), occasionally threaten, athletes in order to motivate them. Seen it several times. Done properly, it will motivate. Done the wrong way, I can see someone being worried or upset about it. But, let's face it. We have a growing population of people who will whine or complain about anything, every time they get a chance. If you don't notice it, your eyes are probably glued shut. And if you don't like the coach's methods, why don't you volunteer to be the coach since you would probably be a better one anyway? People like to complain and play Monday morning quarterback. Well, step up or shut up.

Tell the coach to tone it down. Tell the kid to grow a pair (for goodness sake, he's playing a violent sport and worried about the coach getting pissed off). Move along.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
he P&OC Forum has gone to hell in a handbasket. Arguing about spelling? Get real. Address the OP or move along.

You can say corporal punishment leads to this and that all you want, but doing nothing and raising irresponsible heathens absolutely leads to trouble. Find some middle ground and stop complaining. Coaches yell and scream, and, gasp(!), occasionally threaten, athletes in order to motivate them. Seen it several times. Done properly, it will motivate. Done the wrong way, I can see someone being worried or upset about it. But, let's face it. We have a growing population of people who will whine or complain about anything, every time they get a chance. If you don't notice it, your eyes are probably glued shut. And if you don't like the coach's methods, why don't you volunteer to be the coach since you would probably be a better one anyway? People like to complain and play Monday morning quarterback. Well, step up or shut up.

Tell the coach to tone it down. Tell the kid to grow a pair (for goodness sake, he's playing a violent sport and worried about the coach getting pissed off). Move along.
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies