Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 04:57 PM

29,265 posts, read 22,588,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Liberals have a new victim. The poor football players who get yelled at by their coach...........or get bullied by teamates. I don't care how it's spelled. You get the idea. If not then you are farther lost than I thought.
What's the matter KU? Were you a second stringer?
I detect a lot of buried defensiveness in this topic of yours.

Sure. Coaches want to win games. When they lose, they get fired. But that does not mean the coaches are always choosing the best players, does it? After all, a lot of the loudest booster's kids make the team, and coaches are known to play those kids.
The family and the kid may have legitimate gripes. Only the coach, the community and the school district know the real truth, and nobody's going to say much one way or the other, because they all live in the same place, and will continue long after the flap is over.

Football is a way for a kid to go to college, or can be an entry into a good job. Being a wuss isn't complaining if a good player is benched. Being a wuss is when the player and the parents don't have the guts to stand up and confront the coach.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:30 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,093,224 times
Yes I was a second stringer in football. I did start a few games at OLB and played ok. In Basketball however I was very good. What is your point? Are you trying to bully me? LOL

This kid has a ride he should shut up. Like I said coaches scream at players. That has gone on from the time team sports started. They do it to motivate them. This kid can't hack it apparently. See ya. Now mommy and daddy are mad that jr isn't starting so they go to the lawyers. This spells out everything that is wrong in America.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:45 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,282,881 times
I participated in a Div III sport with a coach who was new to college sports at the time. He is a powerful, caring, intelligent, strong leader. He's never hit or screamed at an athlete in his life.

He is now one do the winningest AND most respected coaches of all time in the sport, with both men's and women's teams. He has spent decades turning down offers from Div I schools because he likes where he is.

Funny how that works.

But ah well, I guess football is all about beating the crap out of the opponent - as opposed to passing, running and defending, which KUchief seems to think are secondary activities in football. So it's different and requires screaming, swearing and smacking athletes around to coach.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:47 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,076,813 times
Quote:
You act as though that happens all the time?? I see your lineman reference as to the Miami fiasco?? A kid getting yelled at by his coach or even a coach saying something along the lines of "If you don't get your head on straight I'll kick your ass" is not out of the ordinary in football. Hell I had coaches who got pissed and lined up across from me with no pads and said to bring it. Football is a different world.
I am using the Miami fiasco because it is the most known case of bullying in the sports world. Also it is an egregious case of bullying. (As well as the Craig James' kid fiasco.) Had the kid not quit, perhaps it could have gotten to a point that it wasn't "I'll kick your ass for not getting your head on straight" to punching and racial and sexual slurs.

Sports are a different animal, the problem is we are in anti-bullying world. We can't say that bullying is not allowed at school but school sporting programs are different.

Quote:
I see your point but there were no racial or sexual slurs or anything like that in this case. A coach got in a kids face is what I see and I don't see anything wrong with it. Mommy does though.
And if your kid came home with a pair of shiners from football practice that is alright too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Stop making sense.
I'll take that as a compliment, thank you.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:53 PM

A pair of shiners? You folks take this like everything else to the next "what if" level. THere is no what if there is what occured. Football coaches do what they do all the time like in this case. If you don't think so then you don't understand reality. Football is a different world. You can't project the corporate world into football which is what some want to try and do now. Well they are doing it in the military so I guess football is just a small job for the "not fair" crowd. Why not just let folks play ball and the pansies weed theselves out?? That is how it all works in the end. Well it used too now we go lawyers involved. Incognito LOL. You see the texts Martin sent to him? Oops.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Yes I was a second stringer in football. I did start a few games at OLB and played ok. In Basketball however I was very good. What is your point? Are you trying to bully me? LOL

This kid has a ride he should shut up. Like I said coaches scream at players. That has gone on from the time team sports started. They do it to motivate them. This kid can't hack it apparently. See ya. Now mommy and daddy are mad that jr isn't starting so they go to the lawyers. This spells out everything that is wrong in America.
So you are the only one who determines what's wrong in America?
I don't think so, even though you like to think your'e the Godzilla of the keyboard.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other. I have no dogs at all in this fight, but bullying, by either coaches or their players, is becoming something that is being less and less tolerated. That's obvious. If it was otherwise, we wouldn't even be discussing it.

And since the courts are most often the only recourse, the decreasing approval for bullying coaches is bound to become an element that more jurists will bring with them into the jury box during lawsuits that go to trial.

Personally speaking: I had a child who was bullied twice. Both times I confronted the kid and his parents about it, and both times the bullying stopped. Neither had anything to do with a coach, but I would have confronted a coach if I believed my kid was bullied, and I would have done my best to see it stopped by whatever legal means necessary.
And i never had a coach who screamed at a single player, ever. We all got yelled at jointly, but none of my coaches was ever stupid enough to single out any one player. Sometimes it takes some yelling to motivate a team, but no coach who picks on a single kid is anything but a bully in my view.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:18 PM

You have no "dogs" yet you continue to post and whine? LOL

You see YOU are the problem. Let the children figure it out. If you are going to claim that a coach never screamed at a player then you didn't make it past pee wee league or your lying. So take your nonsense to the KOS board where your friends will pat you on the back. lol

Old 11-17-2013, 06:37 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,311,196 times
Quote:
You have no "dogs" yet you continue to post and whine? LOL

You see YOU are the problem. Let the children figure it out. If you are going to claim that a coach never screamed at a player then you didn't make it past pee wee league or your lying. So take your nonsense to the KOS board where your friends will pat you on the back. lol
You might want to double check your laws if you honestly think that coaches in your area are allowed to physically threaten minors. Hell, under stand your ground laws the student could shoot the coach and get off.

"The football team's defensive coordintaor is being accused of getting in a student-athlete's face, calling him a "p----" and a "b----" and threatening to head-butt him during a study hall session in April"

Old 11-17-2013, 06:48 PM

So, KU, I guess you wouldn't stand up for your kid?
Okey doke. Call me a whiner, then. I don't mind, Mr. Commando.

But we both know who's the wuss. It wasn't the kid or his parents. Maybe in your world, letting a child confront an aggressive adult who threatens and humiliates him is fine by you, but in my world, not backing up your kid with everything you have is a sign of pitiful cowardice.

Screaming isn't the issue here. What was being screamed is. Are you so obtuse as to ignore the difference?

We'll save the physical threats for another day. I'm sure you'll post something as equally idiotic about that alone sometime soon.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:12 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,076,813 times
Quote:
A pair of shiners? You folks take this like everything else to the next "what if" level. THere is no what if there is what occured. Football coaches do what they do all the time like in this case. If you don't think so then you don't understand reality. Football is a different world. You can't project the corporate world into football which is what some want to try and do now. Well they are doing it in the military so I guess football is just a small job for the "not fair" crowd. Why not just let folks play ball and the pansies weed theselves out?? That is how it all works in the end. Well it used too now we go lawyers involved. Incognito LOL. You see the texts Martin sent to him? Oops.
I am not asking to remove all the boy's club aspect of the locker room. It is different than the board room or any other work location. The issue is when a coach says he will headbutt you in a non football setting or want to toughen up players by having a tough guy say they are effin rookies, I will kick your effin ass and I will blank in your mouth, it crosses the line. The problem is when it crosses the line, Nutt the atmosphere itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.