Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,959,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I don't really feel I've seen much indication over the last 50 years that potential losses are a primary decision making point with the powers that decide where/when the military will be deployed in anger, Vietnam being a prime example.
I think that drone bombing is different because they can keep that pretty quiet as far as the press goes because we have no boots on the ground, no body count (of American soldiers) and little protests.

The regular drone attacks going on in Yemen received very little press.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 08:56 AM

38,856 posts, read 25,755,656 times
Default keep looking up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well gee why shouldn't the CIA get worried.
Aren't we the ones that set a precedent of bombing from drones with no concern ?
Now that other nations have the capability of bombing from drones we get "concerned" ?

This is going to be fun watching how this plays out.
The US has executed nearly 500 drone strikes in various countries and has set the precedent.
"You can't have drones but we can" mentality.

CIA warily watches for threats to U.S. now that 87 nations possess drones - Washington Times

The age of the drone is here, and U.S. intelligence agencies are warily monitoring their proliferation around the globe.
What’s worse, clandestine strikes carried out by Washington in far-flung corners of the world have set a precedent that could be ugly.
Mr. Singer said as many as 87 nations possess some form of drones and conduct various kinds of surveillance either over their own territories or beyond. Among those 87, he said, 26 have either purchased or developed drones equivalent in size to the MQ-1 Predator — the model made by San Diego-based General Atomics.
The concern, said the Brookings Institution’s Mr. Singer, is that adversaries will point to U.S. behavior as an excuse for carrying out cross-border targeting of “high-value” individuals.

Drones are nothing compared to what's coming next.

Nanotechnology Has Amazing Implications for Surveillance Industry | Tim Prosser's Futuring Weblog

Old 11-12-2013, 10:56 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,592,136 times
Quote:
I think that drone bombing is different because they can keep that pretty quiet as far as the press goes because we have no boots on the ground, no body count (of American soldiers) and little protests.

It received very little press because the mainstream media covers for Obama. Had it been a Republican President, mainstream media would be having an apoplectic fit, demanding immediate impeachment for violating Article I, Section 8, Clause 11 of the US Constitution.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:12 AM

68,428 posts, read 54,881,430 times
Quote:

As far as concerned, no boots on the ground and no American bodies to count is a good thing. I have a lot less problem with targeted strikes on known enemies of the US that put no Americans in harm's way than I do with full scale invasions/occupations that are generally far more costly in blood/$$$ and often fail to produce any benefit to the US.

And I have yet to understand all the feigned outrage on CD over deaths caused by drones by people who've never expressed any concern for deaths caused by manned aircraft. Dead is dead, there is no difference.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It received very little press because the mainstream media covers for Obama. Had it been a Republican President, mainstream media would be having an apoplectic fit, demanding immediate impeachment for violating Article I, Section 8, Clause 11 of the US Constitution.
Funny you righties had no problem with the MSM when very much the same could be said over its coverage of Reagan, eh? I guess we should just chalk it up to typical RW hypocrisy.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
There will be a drone resolution from the U N lead by the hypocrites of the U S stating who can and can't have drones. And too get countries in compliance their will be sanctions and more reasons to feed the MIC.

I do not think it is so far fetched that a drone strike could take place in the U S, what goes around comes around.
I can't see getting all het up about drones. After all, we've already been attacked by Ryder trucks(OK City) and airliners(9/11). Drones are just one of many, many tools enemies may use to attack. We need to eradicate the enemies instead of worrying about the tools.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:10 PM

14,490 posts, read 26,709,556 times
Surveillance drones as well, in US by next year. We no longer have any rights, defense contractors can cash in on this...

Increased Surveillance
Military drone manufacturers are looking for civilian uses for remote sensing drones to expand their markets and this includes the use of drones for domestic surveillance. Drones will no doubt make possible the dramatic expansion of the surveillance state. With the convergence of other technologies it may even make possible machine recognition of faces, behaviours, and the monitoring of individual conversations. The sky, so to speak, is the limit.

1. What are drones? « Drone Wars UK

Not really an environment I assume should be in a so-called democracy.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:40 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,532,251 times
Bear in mind U.S. Gov't propagandists/liars are telling us about this Soviet drone.....so they say it aint so good = its a butt kicker! Anyone with a IQ above 37 can readily online and read how advanced Soviet military hardware is and is being built at high speed. They is a gettin ready like Red China to go to war against the U.S. and sooner than later. The U.S. Gov't media and the occupational Gov't in D.C. are setting the stage for our waking up to a real "Red Dawn".!

Russia to Deploy Long-Range Attack Drone by 2016 | Washington Free Beacon

Old 11-13-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Surveillance drones as well, in US by next year. We no longer have any rights, defense contractors can cash in on this...

Increased Surveillance
Military drone manufacturers are looking for civilian uses for remote sensing drones to expand their markets and this includes the use of drones for domestic surveillance. Drones will no doubt make possible the dramatic expansion of the surveillance state. With the convergence of other technologies it may even make possible machine recognition of faces, behaviours, and the monitoring of individual conversations. The sky, so to speak, is the limit.

1. What are drones? « Drone Wars UK

Not really an environment I assume should be in a so-called democracy.
Governments are not the only entities that has access to drones.

FAA proposes widespread civilian drone use in US airspace by 2015 ? RT USA

A drone capable of using low-light, infra-red, or thermal imaging could also be of value to hunters. There are several models that are reasonably cheap with a range of up to 10 kilometers that would be ideal for spotting one's quarry.

Alaskan hunting guides, for example, charge thousands of dollars for out-of-state hunters to hunt bear, moose, and musk ox. For a couple grand a guide could use a drone to ensure their client gets their opportunity to take the shot they paid thousands to take. Or perhaps to just record the hunt from the air.

Personally, I do not consider it "hunting" when you already know where your quarry is located. However, it is a possible use for UAVs outside of government.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Funny you righties had no problem with the MSM when very much the same could be said over its coverage of Reagan, eh? I guess we should just chalk it up to typical RW hypocrisy.
When did Reagan, or any Republican President, ever violate Article I, Section 8, Clause 11 of the US Constitution? If that day ever happens, then we will see who the real hypocrites are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies