Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:44 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,839,727 times

Advertisements

What's the big deal about drone strikes? How are they any worse than shooting a missile or dropping a bomb from a manned fighter or bomber?

It's you guiding the weapon to the location, you looking through the sights, you picking the target, you centering the sights on the target, you pressing the "Fire" button.

And certainly no real difference from dropping the same bomb or missile, from a manned fighter plane or bomber.

Except in this case your own guy has a lot less chance of dying. Is that what the I-hate-drone-strikes people are against?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 08:46 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,171,095 times
Perhaps President Obama is worried that someone else might be better at killing people than is he.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:47 AM

68,428 posts, read 54,881,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
What's the big deal about drone strikes? How are they any worse than shooting a missile or dropping a bomb from a manned fighter or bomber?

It's you guiding the weapon to the location, you looking through the sights, you picking the target, you centering the sights on the target, you pressing the "Fire" button.

And certainly no real difference from dropping the same bomb or missile, from a manned fighter plane or bomber.

Except in this case your own guy has a lot less chance of dying. Is that what the I-hate-drone-strikes people are against?
Must be a blizzard in hell today, I agree with you.

I've asked multiple times in several threads what the obsession with drones is for the reasons you cite. I have yet to get a reply. The only apparent answer from the available evidence is the whiners are obsessed with drones only because Obama uses them.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:49 AM

68,428 posts, read 54,881,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Terrorist groups can build and deploy drones. It doesn't take a nation to do it.

Zawahiri is likely already drawing up plans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They found crude ones in Syria, created by the rebels no less.
All it really takes is a credit card and a toll-free call to a good hobby shop.

People have been flying large radio controlled model aircraft capable of carrying a significant amount of explosives for many years now.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:50 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,171,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Must be a blizzard in hell today, I agree with you.

I've asked multiple times in several threads what the obsession with drones is for the reasons you cite. I have yet to get a reply. The only apparent answer from the available evidence is the whiners are obsessed with drones only because Obama uses them.
Harrier has seen two drones fly directly over his head in the last 6 months.

Harrier is certain that President Obama didn't send the flying robots.

Our local "law enforcement" thugs are using them.

Do you support the burgeoning police state?

Old 11-11-2013, 08:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,959,943 times
The drone operators have zero chance of dying because they are stationed here in the US in a bunker in New Mexico while flying and dropping bombs in Yemen.

There's the difference. There is no fear of lose of life. Loss of military is no longer a concern.
Wouldn't that make decisions a little more brazen ? Wouldn't that make taking risks easier ?

Old 11-11-2013, 09:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,404,418 times
Quote:
Any nation can assassinate by drone and give the excuse they were an enemy of the state.
The way I'm looking at is these drone strikes are an act of war and I think it's been made quite clear that is the case.

Quote:
Our response involves far more than instant retaliation and isolated strikes. Americans should not expect one battle, but a lengthy campaign, unlike any other we have seen. It may include dramatic strikes, visible on television, and covert operations, secret even in success. We will starve terrorists of funding, turn them one against another, drive them from place to place, until there is no refuge or rest. And we will pursue nations that provide aid or safe haven to terrorism. Every nation, in every region, now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists. From this day forward, any nation that continues to harbor or support terrorism will be regarded by the United States as a hostile regime.

George W. Bush
The gloves came off and despite the rhetoric from the Obama admin I don't think the policies of the Bush administration have changed. If anything they have increased at least as far as the drone strikes go.

If some country wants use the excuse "enemy of the state" to implement drone strikes on US interests or soil it's their funeral.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,959,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The way I'm looking at is these drone strikes are an act of war and I think it's been made quite clear that is the case.

The gloves came off and despite the rhetoric from the Obama admin I don't think the policies of the Bush administration have changed. If anything they have increased at least as far as the drone strikes go.

If some country wants use the excuse "enemy of the state" to implement drone strikes on US interests or soil it's their funeral.
Very one sided of you though. We have been drone bombing Yemen on a regular basis, taking out entire villages of innocent people.

We took out a 16 year old with a drone. Was he really a terrorist ?

Old 11-11-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
All it really takes is a credit card and a toll-free call to a good hobby shop.

People have been flying large radio controlled model aircraft capable of carrying a significant amount of explosives for many years now.
I was flying one that could do that, fifty years ago.

In fact, even before that, the U.S. Air Force (and probably others) was putting radio-control systms in WWII-surplus B-17 bombers, and flying them in and out of the mushroom clouds created by their newfangled "H-bombs". Those planes could have easily carried all the bombs they were originally designed to carry.

And they could just as easily have put the same radio system into a B-29, which had already carried and dropped nuclear weapons.

Doing it today, is hardly "new science". It's just easier and prettier.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
The drone operators have zero chance of dying because they are stationed here in the US in a bunker in New Mexico while flying and dropping bombs in Yemen.
It's in Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies