Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 07:02 AM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I bring this up all the time..........but I just get accused of being a racist and having a "victim mentality."
Some are making it, some aren't. I have a lot of relatives that teach in impoverished areas.

If you had to pick one thing common amongst the kids not making it what would it be?

Hint: It's not society or skin color.

Anyone can guess, feel free, it's not hard to spot if you went to a public school somewhere in the US...even in the small town I grew up in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 10:27 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Trayvon Martin, a martyr for the ages.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:31 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The real issue here, is that these students obviously identified with Trayvon Martin, and see him as a symbol of how they feel in society at large, threatened, insignificant, and marginalized.
Trayvon was from a middle class family that took ski vacations. I'm not exactly sure why he would feel marginalized. His folks were divorced but his dad was still very active in his life.

Unfortunately many middle class Black boys think being Black means being a thug. Many grow out if it some don't. Who knows which group Trayvon would have been.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:43 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
So, what do you do on "Trayvon Martin Day"?

Walk around on sidewalks, and if any Hispanic guy walks behind you, turn and punch him, knock him down, and pound his head into the sidewalk for a while?

Sounds like a worthwhile "day" to me.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:47 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,040,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
In high school, I skipped classes. Smoked some pot, as did the vast majority of the people I knew.
The root problem here is that most if not all of the people in the community of common fools who defends TM believe that the above actions are what got him killed and they simply aren't. Trayvon wasn't shot because he was smoking a blunt and skipping class nor was he shot because he was black or wearing a hoodie.

Trayvon Martin was shot once in the chest and killed because he was on top of someone physically attacking them.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:59 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Trayvon was from a middle class family that took ski vacations. I'm not exactly sure why he would feel marginalized. His folks were divorced but his dad was still very active in his life.
Many people, notably Ellis Cose, have written about how middle class blacks feel harassment and degradation in society in their daily lives well as police, etc. the same way any other blacks get it.

Quote:
Unfortunately many middle class Black boys think being Black means being a thug. Many grow out if it some don't. Who knows which group Trayvon would have been.
I don't see that at all, other than the typical anti-authoritarian stance boys of all races and classes take. Unfortunately Trayvon didn't get a chance to grow up.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:01 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The root problem here is that most if not all of the people in the community of common fools who defends TM believe that the above actions are what got him killed and they simply aren't. Trayvon wasn't shot because he was smoking a blunt and skipping class nor was he shot because he was black or wearing a hoodie.

Trayvon Martin was shot once in the chest and killed because he was on top of someone physically attacking them.
Way to jump from one part of the chronology to the other............without discussing why Martin was on top of ol' Gun Muscles fighting with him.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:14 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post

Half the story. Jumping Zimmerman wasn't justifiable but neither is following some kid home from the store especially after you have been told to back off.

As I noted earlier, many will complain about the growing surveillance tactics of the government but then defend the very same thing here.

He had every right to simply walk home without someone tailing him.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:11 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,697,116 times
What a stupid school

Old 10-09-2013, 03:24 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
What a stupid school
^^^^ +1 ^^^^

-- Posted with TapaTalk now Free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies