Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that the economy is improving?
I Do believe that the economy is improving 29 25.89%
I Don`t believe that the economy is improving 69 61.61%
I Do believe that the unemployment numbers are being cooked 48 42.86%
I Don`t believe that the unemployment numbers are being cooked 11 9.82%
I Do believe the economy will be help by Obamacare and his polices 11 9.82%
I Do believe the economy will be harmed by Obamacare and his polices 52 46.43%
Other 5 4.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 07:52 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,734,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Very insightful. However, I don't expect Obama to get too much of the blame. The slide started under the previous administration. But, I don't believe the current administration has instituted policies to really help a recovery. Financially, this country is just treading water right now.
Yeah....well the slide started in Detroit way before Detroit got its first black leadership....but guess who gets the blame for that. It all comes down to who controls or dominates the narrative...and the truths that they want to hide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 07:59 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,881,766 times
I'm a moderate.

I don't feel the economy is getting better. I think the cost of basic goods -- particularly food and gas -- have risen at a much higher rate than anyone expected. Yes, gas did drop off some recently, but still represents a significant chunk of a lot of people's monthly budgets.

I blame the past administration for dragging us into the Middle East where we didn't belong. I blame the current administration for being led by a narcissistic megalomaniac whose primary concern is "What is my legacy going to be?".

Right now, the lack of leadership in the Oval Office is slowly killing this country. But you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and Obama isn't going to wake up tomorrow as a "great leader".

I feel the healthcare debacle is going to be the single biggest drain on the economy for the next 4 years. This was handled SO poorly, and was so agenda-driven that it is disgraceful.

I hope for the best, but have prepared for the worst. On a positive note, my house is paid off, I have no debt, and I don't want a new car. Now if I could just do something about my cable/Cell phone bills before I "am forced" to buy health insurance......

Old 10-04-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yeah....well the slide started in Detroit way before Detroit got its first black leadership....but guess who gets the blame for that. It all comes down to who controls or dominates the narrative...and the truths that they want to hide.

What truths are being hidden in Detroit?

Indeed, history is written by the victors, so to speak. But the narrative in Detroit is fairly bleak.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
What truths are being hidden in Detroit?

Indeed, history is written by the victors, so to speak. But the narrative in Detroit is fairly bleak.
That "white flight" was the primary component of Detroit's decline and that the flight, in no small percentage, was influenced by racism against blacks.

An article in the Detroit news today blamed "racial tensions" as part of the cause of Detroit collapse. That term implies some sort of equality of responsibility for the tensions. There would have been no racial tensions if blacks just accepted being treated as second class citizens, if not third class, by white society. Hence, the truth is that racial tension were rooted in RACISM against blacks.....but the news paper uses the narrative of racial tensions, which hides that blacks rebellion against their oppression was the cause of the tension. Racial tension were a SYMPTOM of the disease of racism....but the paper would not say RACISM, because it would alienate many of its readers....who are white.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:13 PM

26,603 posts, read 15,173,649 times
Quote:
That "white flight" was the primary component of Detroit's decline and that the flight, in no small percentage, was influenced by racism against blacks.

An article in the Detroit news today blamed "racial tensions" as part of the cause of Detroit collapse. That term implies some sort of equality of responsibility for the tensions. There would have been no racial tensions if blacks just accepted being treated as second class citizens, if not third class, by white society. Hence, the truth is that racial tension were rooted in RACISM against blacks.....but the news paper uses the narrative of racial tensions, which hides that blacks rebellion against their oppression was the cause of the tension.
Upper and Middle Class Whites fled Detroit.

Upper and Middle Class Blacks fled Detroit.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:

An article in the Detroit news today blamed "racial tensions" as part of the cause of Detroit collapse. That term implies some sort of equality of responsibility for the tensions. There would have been no racial tensions if blacks just accepted being treated as second class citizens, if not third class, by white society. Hence, the truth is that racial tension were rooted in RACISM against blacks.....but the news paper uses the narrative of racial tensions, which hides that blacks rebellion against their oppression was the cause of the tension. Racial tension were a SYMPTOM of the disease of racism....but the paper would not say RACISM, because it would alienate many of its readers....who are white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post

Admittedly, I'm not from that area, but as michiganmoon pointed out, I thought it was a case of BOTH blacks and whites leaving the city, which in essence left a rather borderline group composed of both blacks and whites of the lower class.

Of course, some of the other issues contributing to Detroit's problems (later in the 70's and 80's) were the poor performance of the American car makers due to a lack of leadership and vision.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:22 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,454,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
It is most definitely improving. And it would be improving as a faster rate if we did not have the sequester, shutdown nonsense going on.
I agree that it is improving but not at the ideal rate and I think everyone can agree to that, it's not all because of Sequester, but also because the global economy is still bumpy.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:26 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,756,359 times
Quote:
what party has been in control for the last 50 plus years? why did they stop the decline?

you want to play the race card to explain way corruption and stupidity,. fine..

Old 10-04-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post

I could also say that both Democrats and republicans voted for Obama in 2008 and 12 and it would be a true statement. I know Collen Powell voted for Obama in 2008...and he is a republican. Hence, do you think that is a FAIR statement to say that both democrats and republicans supported Obama? .....of course not....and neither does suggesting that both middle class blacks and whites left Detroit.

The city of Detroit STILL has 75% of the peak black population. Less than 5% of the peak white population remains in Detroit. Thus, nearly 100% of whites left Detroit but only 25% of blacks have...and blacks and whites were not leaving at the same time or for the same reasons. The black population peaked in Detroit in 2001.....and then declined. The white population peaked in 1950 and has been in decline since, with the vast majority of them gone before 2000.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
what party has been in control for the last 50 plus years? why did they stop the decline?

you want to play the race card to explain way corruption and stupidity,. fine..
I guess corruption and stupidity only impacts blacks negatively.....just like liberalism. There is another topic that demonstrates that MANY liberal states and ares are doing very well economically. Then people chimed in to say that it is because black people do not live in those states in large number. In other words, its not liberalism, its BLACK PEOPLE, that pulls things down. However, there have been plenty of corrupt white cities and politicians, like in Chicago and Illinois under like under the last 4 governors. So stop the BS.....just come out and say that its black inferiority....anybody with a brain know that is what is being said in half these post...you just do not have the courage to say it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies