Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 04:04 PM

219 posts, read 286,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Their constituents want a government shutdown? What planet did you say you were on?
Their constituants want Obamacare defunded and debt adressed......by not giving an inch, the Dems are just as responsible for any shutdown

That is a nonpartisan point of view

Old 09-30-2013, 04:06 PM

57,410 posts, read 26,350,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me just why the shutdown will be a "mess" or a "disaster". Seriously, how will this impact my life at all?

And if you can't tell me that, I think we should discuss this in terms of who gets the "credit" for the shutdown, rather than the "blame".
How it impacts one life shouldn't be the standard, this will essentially waste a few billion dollars in tax money to try to defeat a major program they didn't like, is that SOP, any history to support that type of action?.

If there is a shutdown I would give the republicans all the credit.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-30-2013 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 09-30-2013, 04:07 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,308,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGuitarGuy View Post
They are doing what their constituants want and the majority of Americans want (are against Obamacare)

Poll finds low support for Obamacare - Tal Kopan - POLITICO.com

Just like the Democlowns are doing what their constituants want

So both are equally wrong
No both sides aren't equally wrong. The Democrats passed this bill in both houses of Congress. The President was re-elected. The Democrats picked up seats in the House. The political battle was lost by conservatives.

Now that would be like President Obama and the Democratic party saying they won't fund the government until Gitmo is closed until the Defense of Marriage Act is repealed to get their way on legislation they don't like.

In that scenario, the Democratic party would be to blame and they would be behaving insanely.

In this scenario the conservative party is to blame because they are acting insanely.

They don't have the political power to do anything.

The Democrats are not asking for a single concession from the conservatives to fund the government. The conservatives are demanding a huge concession from the Democrats without offering anything in return.

Again how are both parties wrong?

What are Democrats doing that is equally wrong, not destroying their own bill while getting nothing in return?

People have to twist themselves in illogical knots to come to the conclusion that both sides are equally to blame.

17,481 posts, read 9,308,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Reid is saying 45 days because McConnell has proposed a one week CR. Which is absolutely pointless, given where we are now. I think both two months or 45 days is ridiculous. We will just end up here again way too soon. Fund the government for the year and let's move on. There are other things that need attention.
No ..... you are wrong again.
The House CR was for funding lasting until December 15, Harry Reid raised the amount of the funding, but not by too much (a couple of Million) and lowered the date back to November 15. Mitch McConnell talked to Reid today to see if he would agree to a 5 day CR that was "clean" - Reid said NO.

This entire "crisis" is not really about the Fiscal Year Budget at all ..... it's really a lead up to the Debt Ceiling. If Reid and Obama stick to this "I will not negotiate, I will not discuss anything with the GOP" -- we are in BIG trouble. The markets will crash and we will get another Credit Downgrade. Credit Default Swaps on the US Government Bonds has jumped over 400% is the last 2 weeks.

Obama is sticking to his new RED LINE according to his speech this afternoon.
Gird your Loins, we are in for a very Bumpy Ride. The Democrats want this shut-down and they are going to get it.

37,158 posts, read 42,298,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
You don't know much about "compensation" do you? Benefits are 'perks' that companies use to gain and keep employees. They are not money as in "compensation" and they are not a "right" of some sort.

This is absolutely true -- Only the Federal Government is allowed to tell you what to do with your "compensation" ..... and folks are getting a lithe sick and tired of that.
I don't know why my post was deleted but I'm repeating it anyway.

A "perk" is a discount on purchases or a pizza party every other Friday. Health insurance and other such benefits are part of an employees TOTAL COMPENSATION PACKAGE. It's a huge deal, not just a fun add on.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:09 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,547,209 times
Liberalism is a mental disorder and these Democrat politicians prove this with their tactics.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:09 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,893,510 times
Quote:
Their constituants want Obamacare defunded and debt adressed......by not giving an inch, the Dems are just as responsible for any shutdown
The Democrats' constituents don't want Obamacare defunded. So what are the Republicans offering to give as their "inch"? Because all I see is them demanding the Democrats give a mile, with no concessions whatsoever on their side of the negotiation table.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:14 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,308,059 times
Quote:

That is a nonpartisan point of view
No it is a stupid viewpoint.

At one point Democratic voters were extremely against the War in Iraq.

When Democrats won control of the House and the Senate did they once say hey we are going to shut down the government unless we get out of Iraq because that's what our voters want?

If they would have done that would both sides be equally to blame when conservatives said we can't destroy the military operation in Iraq?

Of course not, it would be the Democrats behaving insanely.

Again conservatives are asking the Democratic party to destroy their bill without getting anything in return.

Explain outside of agreeing to destroy their own bill while getting nothing what are they doing wrong?

They aren't asking for one concession from conservatives.

Again, the conservatives are to blame, there is no middle ground and anyone who says differently is either lying or ignorant.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:14 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,234,646 times
So is there more complaining on both sides?

Also, why were my posts singled out? Oh you neutral mods. I love you.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:17 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,131,423 times
Todays latest cnn poll shows 10% of Americans have a favorable opinion of Congress.

Could that be because Congress has become a sideshow----a carnival barking act-----a theatrical impression starring both democrats and republicans.

Whatever our political opinions are, the duties and obligations of Congress are to act in a sane and rational fashion for the general welfare of our country.

Holding the country hostage because a faction doesnt care for duly passed legislation is just wrong.

The agenda for past budget debates centered on----yes, government debt, waste, and the need for fiscal responsibility.

The agenda has now shifted to getting rid of healthcare laws and who knows what other hidden angles will surface.

The Presidential leadership in this fiasco has been totally absent----where is he?

That being said, the blame, and it will be pronounced, will be thrown at the GOP. It doesnt matter what type of tap dancing and karaoke the Gop tries to perform, they will become the castigated.

The American people are getting tired of this annual debacle----it is starting to wear thin on the national psyche---keep your eyes on the polls----and follow the arrows straight down.

Last edited by jefffla01; 09-30-2013 at 04:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.