Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 10:45 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,315,978 times

Advertisements

I think there should be an OPT-OUT for those that don't want to buy Health Insurance ... BUT, you will get NO emergency medical care without paying 100% of the expected charges in advance IN CASH, no checks or credit cards, and NO other medical care without CASH payment in advance.

At one time many years ago, I was one of those twenty-somethings "I never get sick I don't need Health Insurance" then I was in an accident ... Good thing I had a pretty good policy supplied by my employer, I remained pretty healthy until my mid-forties, I would probably be dead now if it wasn't for my Health Insurance policy ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 10:46 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,849,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
No. I worked hard to get where I'm at in life. The fruits of my labor should be mine, period. I am more than happy to contribute to charitable causes of my own volition, and I do. That said, the notion that I am somehow responsible for anyone else's health care is absolutely wrong.

I'll go along with a safety net for those who absolutely are incapable of running their own lives, but that is not what the statists have passed. They have passed an income redistribution scheme that rewards anyone who fails at life the expense of those who have worked hard to take care of themselves and their own families.
Exactly.

The safety neet is for those who cannot care for themselves, like someone with autism, not for those who choose not to care for themselves.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:49 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,831,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
AS compared to heath care costs in other countries ? ROLMAO That's funny .....
It might be funny but take a look at them. They are doing something right. And no way would they replace their systems with what the US has.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:51 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,782,130 times
And no way would I trade mine for theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
It might be funny but take a look at them. They are doing something right. And no way would they replace their systems with what the US has.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:00 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,950,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Those with pre-existing conditions are actually the ones who will benefit, along with those under the poverty level, although many of those were uninsured, and just used the emergency room for free medical.
Maybe the prexisting will benefit, but the poverty level is pretty low and I don't think exemptions kick in unless it exceeds 8% of your income so it is a ridiculous tax.

Also the Medicaid issue seems to be really a mess with the states. The whole uncertainty and confusion in what is going on makes it worse considering people can be penalized.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:10 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,950,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
The Affordable Care Act health insurance exchange is an option for about
5% of the total population in the USA.
SInce our population is about 300 million people, we are talking about
3 million people.
You all realize this right?
If you have heath insurance through your employer, this does not affect you.
If you are self employed, and LOW INCOME unable to pay health insurance
premiums, THIS IS FOR YOU.
If your employer does not provide health care benefits, and you can't AFFORD
a private insurance policy, THIS IS FOR YOU.
Three million people, who work, who don't make 80K a year, you don't want to
loose everything they worked sooo hard for, NEED THIS.
SO, why is everybody all upset about this?
I don't understand.
If you have an accident, and you are taken to the hospital, and you are
uninsured, WE ALL PAY for that medical treatment now.
The patient is still saved from the car accident, life saving treatment will be
administered, the patient will loose everything, but in the meantime, the
hospital and doctors will get paid, they need money to keep the hospital open
anyway, so I think its' a good idea that everyone has health insurance in any case.
The only thing I feel really bad about is the very poor that certain states have
turned down the increased Medicaid money for. The really very poor people will
still not have any health care coverage, so sad, because they won't even make enough
money to qualify for the Affordable Care Act insurance exchange, that is cruel, but
South Carolina turned it down. Oh well, they just don't care about their children that's all.
I get what you are saying, but you are leaving out some important information. The govt owns most of the healthcare already. It is very profitable. This is why cost are so high. It is all about profit.

Changes in a whole industry area affect everyone, especially this large. More govt intervention doesn't seem like a solution. Yes Medicaid is a mess.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:14 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,896,281 times
Ahhh, the RW panic that Obamacare is very likely to work is funny to watch.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:59 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,424,967 times
Default Middle Ground? What is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Ahhh, the RW panic that Obamacare is very likely to work is funny to watch.
OK, so the nutjobs like Cruz and Lee AND the people who are in the bag for the Affordable Care Act as written are on the fringes. The ACA will prove to be unworkable in many of its provisions. The system in place before the ACA was passed--also unworkable.

What we had was in desperate need of improvement, what we've got now is in desperate need of improvement, can sensible people work together to get us from where we are now to a better place?

1. You people carping about the pre-existing conditions fix ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

2. We are already paying 150% or 200% of what it would cost to provide care for everyone--doesn't it make sense to get what we pay for--and save money? (P.S. The ACA as written will not get us there.)

3. If you don't think you need to be helping out those less fortunate, take a look around. My income taxes used to be a few thousand a year. Now they are more than ten times higher. I'm already carrying a dozen people on my back--I'd prefer they were healthy. And I need their children to grow up healthy and strong and pay a lot of Social Security taxes.

4. Eight per cent of us are buying health insurance in the individual market--small business, shopkeepers, professionals, farmers, ranchers--and we will all be buying on the ACA marketplace for next year. What we have today will not be there after the renewal date in 2014. (For me that's January 1st.) So we can't really blow up the ACA marketplaces, or "defund" them as the morons say, because some of us need to be able to go there and pay our own money for coverage--our only option. If you are on Medicare or have insurance from a large employer, please SHUT UP about defunding the marketplaces--you do not understand what you are talking about.

5. The ACA sucks badly in many important ways. Hence my plea: let's get to the middle ground on this, and fix the problems starting with the worst ones. The Republicans do not have the votes to repeal it, so there is no other option but to fix what needs fixing. Our senators and representatives need to grow up and do their work.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:09 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,896,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
OK, so the nutjobs like Cruz and Lee AND the people who are in the bag for the Affordable Care Act as written are on the fringes. The ACA will prove to be unworkable in many of its provisions. The system in place before the ACA was passed--also unworkable.

What we had was in desperate need of improvement, what we've got now is in desperate need of improvement, can sensible people work together to get us from where we are now to a better place?

1. You people carping about the pre-existing conditions fix ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

2. We are already paying 150% or 200% of what it would cost to provide care for everyone--doesn't it make sense to get what we pay for--and save money? (P.S. The ACA as written will not get us there.)

3. If you don't think you need to be helping out those less fortunate, take a look around. My income taxes used to be a few thousand a year. Now they are more than ten times higher. I'm already carrying a dozen people on my back--I'd prefer they were healthy. And I need their children to grow up healthy and strong and pay a lot of Social Security taxes.

4. Eight per cent of us are buying health insurance in the individual market--small business, shopkeepers, professionals, farmers, ranchers--and we will all be buying on the ACA marketplace for next year. What we have today will not be there after the renewal date in 2014. (For me that's January 1st.) So we can't really blow up the ACA marketplaces, or "defund" them as the morons say, because some of us need to be able to go there and pay our own money for coverage--our only option. If you are on Medicare or have insurance from a large employer, please SHUT UP about defunding the marketplaces--you do not understand what you are talking about.

5. The ACA sucks badly in many important ways. Hence my plea: let's get to the middle ground on this, and fix the problems starting with the worst ones. The Republicans do not have the votes to repeal it, so there is no other option but to fix what needs fixing. Our senators and representatives need to grow up and do their work.
I heard an explanation that makes sense, David Gregory I think said something like this, "The Republicans are in the station trying to stop a train that has already left".

Old 09-27-2013, 05:14 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,266,668 times
and liberals, especially the rich elite will tell you, too bad because if they can afford it so can everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
I found out that Obamacare (silver plan) will double what I already pay. What a bargain, only 11% of my gross salary. I guess the healthcare companies have gotten their way, and perhaps the CEO of UHC will give himself another 1 billion dollar bonus. Obama, America thanks you for your guidance - to the poorhouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies