Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 03:51 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,233,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
When the geezer Tea Party group was growing up, we were washing cars, mowing lawns and throwing newspapers to save up for things like cars and stereos. In the last 20 years, I have not once, not a single time, had a kid ask to mow my lawn or wash my car for money. I do not see kids on paper routes. I see my teenage nephews, nieces and neighbors driving cars that mommy and daddy bought them. I see them walking around with iPhones that mommy and daddy bought and pay the monthly bill. They have tvs with gaming systems in their bedrooms that mommy and daddy bought.

The Tea Party were the ones out there knocking on doors asking to mow lawns and wash cars. We're the ones who worked the two jobs while going to school. So of course we are looked at as backwards and old fashioned by the generation that feels they are entitled to cars, cell phones, HD tv, the job they want and everything else under the sun.
Indeed. Times have changed. And that's what needs to be considered. When baby boomers grew up, this was a very different country. As the country has changed, so have the needs and wants of younger generations. For better or worse, none of us can turn back time but if a person keeps acting as though we are still the nation we were when he/she was a kid, then there should be little surprise that they'll earn, at best, a sn.igger. (And for crying out loud you stupid C-D censor software, the word sn.igger has absolutely nothing to do with a racial epithet. Gosh, one can't even use regular words on this forum)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Ya know I think I have it figured out. You lefty demolition heads need to go discover your very own country and get the Hell out of this one. That's right get out and go forge your own country and the do what ever it is that pleases you. I hear the antarctica is very nice this time of year.
I don't think anyone has to leave. As it stands now, the average life expectancy for Americans is about 78 years. That gives the average tea party member not exactly a long time to pursue the political change they want. Younger voters, obviously, have a whole lot more time to form the country the way they see fit. By the time they are done, I'll be long dead.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:18 PM

34,618 posts, read 21,809,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Ok, where were you when W launched two wars paid for with two tax cuts? Did you rise up in outrage over that? Just curious.
I was quite upset that he invaded. I just wanted him to blow up some stuff and people and maybe do a bit of carpet bombing. We wasted both money and most importantly blood in those two he77 holes.

I can point to plenty of things I completely disagreed with Bush on and publicly ranted about them on our local newspaper's site - chron.com. He spent way too much way to often. I was extremely critical of him on things like TARP.

I've been consistent across the board.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:24 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,238,354 times
less than 8% identify themselves as tea partiers, and for good reason.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:29 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,241,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Of course the OP will not answer that....

The leftist mantra...

Good for me but not for thee.....
Since gerrymandering seems to be done to favor one party or the other yes, I'd be ok with it. But since it would be typically favoring a democrat (as opposed to a liberal, as liberals rarely run) then the answer is no.

I'm not the one this question was put to but I answered anyway. Hope that's ok.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:29 PM

34,618 posts, read 21,809,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Indeed. Times have changed. And that's what needs to be considered. When baby boomers grew up, this was a very different country. As the country has changed, so have the needs and wants of younger generations.
Which is my point. We have become a country where people believe they are owed. The idea of needing to work harder to get what you want is slipping away. To me, this isn't just "well, people have different attitudes now", because this attitude is why we're building that a $17 trillion debt.

If people want cheap healthcare, which isn't to be confused with healthcare costs being hidden, it's easy to accomplish. Tell them you don't want to use the $5 million MRI machine, and that the $100,000 x-ray machine will do just fine. Drugs too expensive? Just buy the ones that have been on the market for 20 years and not the ones that are the best new medicines that cost $2 billion to develop, receive approval and market. If you want your medical bills to be the same as those in the 50's, use the drugs, equipment and procedures from then.

If you can't afford your cable, cell phone, gaming system and 60" plasma, don't buy them.

Somebody needs to pay for all my children -

I Got 15 Kids & 3 Babydaddys-SOMEONE'S GOTTA PAY FOR ME & MY KIDS!!! - YouTube

Old 09-25-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
less than 8% identify themselves as tea partiers, and for good reason.
Even here in the South, you can't readily identify yourself as one without earning the inevitable eye-roll. You might as well put a bumper sticker on your car that says "Hey, look at me, I am a moron." That's how negatively people seem to perceive the tea party.

There was a tea party rally here a few months ago - I was at a playground adjacent to the rally and saw, at best, 30 people.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:33 PM

2,362 posts, read 3,013,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Of course the OP will not answer that....

The leftist mantra...

Good for me but not for thee.....
I thought that was the mantra of the Ayn Rand wing of the Republican party?

Old 09-25-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Which is my point. We have become a country where people believe they are owed. The idea of needing to work harder to get what you want is slipping away. To me, this isn't just "well, people have different attitudes now", because this attitude is why we're building that a $17 trillion debt.

If people want cheap healthcare, which isn't to be confused with healthcare costs being hidden, it's easy to accomplish. Tell them you don't want to use the $5 million MRI machine, and that the $100,000 x-ray machine will do just fine. Drugs too expensive? Just buy the ones that have been on the market for 20 years and not the ones that are the best new medicines that cost $2 billion to develop, receive approval and market. If you want your medical bills to be the same as those in the 50's, use the drugs, equipment and procedures from then.

If you can't afford your cable, cell phone, gaming system and 60" plasma, don't buy them.

Somebody needs to pay for all my children -

I Got 15 Kids & 3 Babydaddys-SOMEONE'S GOTTA PAY FOR ME & MY KIDS!!! - YouTube
I agree with you. Young people feel very entitled. I grew up differently - but it is my generation (and subsequent ones) that made these kids what they are today.

I believe in taking personal responsibility and approaching issues with common sense and intelligence. I temporarily lost my hearing last year and the doctor suggested getting an MRI to determine if there was a blood clot that had caused it. I asked him whether an MRI would help me in figuring out a way to avoid a similar episode in the future or whether finding that a blood clot had cause this issue would help me in avoiding other health problems. He said it would not.

The information the MRI would supply would NOT aid in avoiding or diagnosing other health problems nor would it aid in dealing with the current one. All it would do is tell me whether my hearing loss had been caused by a blood clot. I said I thought it was silly to get a $15,000 procedure that, in fact, did absolutely nothing and that I would NOT be getting an MRI. He agreed but said he MUST suggest it.

My neighbors rush to the emergency room because their baby is teething and has a fever...

Go figure.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:44 PM

2,252 posts, read 1,458,334 times
Quote:
When the geezer Tea Party group was growing up, we were washing cars, mowing lawns and throwing newspapers to save up for things like cars and stereos. In the last 20 years, I have not once, not a single time, had a kid ask to mow my lawn or wash my car for money. I do not see kids on paper routes. I see my teenage nephews, nieces and neighbors driving cars that mommy and daddy bought them. I see them walking around with iPhones that mommy and daddy bought and pay the monthly bill. They have tvs with gaming systems in their bedrooms that mommy and daddy bought.

The Tea Party were the ones out there knocking on doors asking to mow lawns and wash cars. We're the ones who worked the two jobs while going to school. So of course we are looked at as backwards and old fashioned by the generation that feels they are entitled to cars, cell phones, HD tv, the job they want and everything else under the sun.
When you geezers were growing up you could've bought a car for a few hundred nowadays good luck, I had a paper route when I was younger and I made garbage money although I would do alright in tips but yet it never seemed to help me much. Saving while being a very good thing nowadays is much harder, heck I live in nyc and not even in the city part and its very expensive out here. Now I hear the mta wants to jack up the price of a ride on mass transit to over about $3 or so a ride. Mowing lawns nowadays pays nothing because you neighbor could simply hire the spanish guy in front of home depot and have him do a perfect job for maybe $5. Same goes for washing cars btw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies