Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 10:13 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
In the recent Arizona petition to deny expanded Medicaid coverage the Arizona Tea Party re-branded themselves as the United Republicans Alliance of Principled Conservatives. They still dressed up in the usual Tea Party garb - senior citizens dressed as clowns holding petitions. Now we have the Tea Party congress and yet a substantial number of the the Tea Partiers who put them in the House are dead. In other words we have a zombie House of Representatives. Remember the old geezers in 2008 at the Palin rallies?? How many are still alive today? Yet because of gerrymandering in 2010 they live on.
Only green and decaf please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 10:20 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
In the recent Arizona petition to deny expanded Medicaid coverage the Arizona Tea Party re-branded themselves as the United Republicans Alliance of Principled Conservatives. They still dressed up in the usual Tea Party garb - senior citizens dressed as clowns holding petitions. Now we have the Tea Party congress and yet a substantial number of the the Tea Partiers who put them in the House are dead. In other words we have a zombie House of Representatives. Remember the old geezers in 2008 at the Palin rallies?? How many are still alive today? Yet because of gerrymandering in 2010 they live on.
I will admit to being a Tea Partier.

I see no problem with Tea Party costumes. Sure they're ridiculous. But so what? So are the things people wear at gay pride parades, at Mardi Gras, at sports events, at comic book conventions, at Halloween, etc. These people don't wear those costumes in their daily lives. A Tea Party gathering is an event. People wear costumes at events. It's no big deal.

And liberals who are so upset about gerrymandering are nothing but hypocrites. Gerrymandering is not some Republican conspiracy. Gerrymandering has being going on for decades and decades. It just so happens that Democrats got annihilated in the 2010 elections so they lost out on the gerrymandering process that year, so now suddenly they want to complain about it. But when they were in the drivers seats, you didn't hear a peep from them. Hypocrites.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:28 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,909,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
So you are telling me if gerrymandering favored a liberal you would be just as mad?
I would be. Personally, I would like to see a mathematical model guide redistricting where the districts have to have the greatest average compactness and have to generally follow geographic features. That would eliminate 90% of the politician's ability to gerrymander and we'd finally have voters picking the politician instead of the politician picking the voters.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:39 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,228,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Funny how it seems to be ok to hate on old people these days.. at least if your a lefty. An acceptable scapegoat in the eyes of the hateful tolerant left.
I don't think this has anything to do with hatred. It has to do with different concerns.

I live in a very conservative community politically dominated by baby boomers. Their main concern is the erection of a traffic light. Meanwhile, the core of the city keeps dying and absolutely no steps are taken to try and revitalize the area. The traffic light issue has been going on for YEARS and everything else has been relegated to the back seat.

The same is true in our federal policies: Older people are concerned about different issues. These issues are important to them, but they seem irrelevant to younger generations. This is particularly true when it comes to social issues.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:08 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
For now, the tea party continues to be seen as out of touch with the needs and wants of the average (younger) American.
When the geezer Tea Party group was growing up, we were washing cars, mowing lawns and throwing newspapers to save up for things like cars and stereos. In the last 20 years, I have not once, not a single time, had a kid ask to mow my lawn or wash my car for money. I do not see kids on paper routes. I see my teenage nephews, nieces and neighbors driving cars that mommy and daddy bought them. I see them walking around with iPhones that mommy and daddy bought and pay the monthly bill. They have tvs with gaming systems in their bedrooms that mommy and daddy bought.

The Tea Party were the ones out there knocking on doors asking to mow lawns and wash cars. We're the ones who worked the two jobs while going to school. So of course we are looked at as backwards and old fashioned by the generation that feels they are entitled to cars, cell phones, HD tv, the job they want and everything else under the sun.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:34 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I will admit to being a Tea Partier.

I see no problem with Tea Party costumes. Sure they're ridiculous. But so what? So are the things people wear at gay pride parades, at Mardi Gras, at sports events, at comic book conventions, at Halloween, etc. These people don't wear those costumes in their daily lives. A Tea Party gathering is an event. People wear costumes at events. It's no big deal.

And liberals who are so upset about gerrymandering are nothing but hypocrites. Gerrymandering is not some Republican conspiracy. Gerrymandering has being going on for decades and decades. It just so happens that Democrats got annihilated in the 2010 elections so they lost out on the gerrymandering process that year, so now suddenly they want to complain about it. But when they were in the drivers seats, you didn't hear a peep from them. Hypocrites.
I am not upset although when 2020 comes around and lines are redrawn I would like to see it done in a non partisan way. In Washington state Republicans and Democrats sat around and carved the districts up. Even though Republicans are outnumbered in Washington they had the same number of votes redistricting. Now we are getting stuck with they so-called safe districts. It reminds me of picking a team. One side starts and picks one district and went down the line until the state was carved up.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:40 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,972,625 times
Quote:
I've never been to a "rally".

I don't dress in funny costumes (but would if I could find a way to infuriate liberals by doing so), and I don't belong to any political party, nor do I "subscribe" to or "join" any organizations.

But I'll proudly say "I am the TEA Party".

TEA is "Taxed Enough Already" and it's long past time that ordinary Americans pushed the academics, intellectuals, and political class out of Washington. They are the ones who have been so incredibly incompetent.

If Congress were 535 randomly chosen rednecks from rural America, it would be 10,000 times more competent than the halfwits that have been in DC for most of my lifetime.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:17 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,765,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm a Tea Partier.

I believe in limited government, a balanced budget, reduced government spending and the Constitution.

If you want more government, no balanced budget, more government spending and think the Constitution is an outdated document, then I can see why you oppose the Tea Party.

Ok, where were you when W launched two wars paid for with two tax cuts? Did you rise up in outrage over that? Just curious.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:19 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,957,870 times
I'm not officially in a Tea Party, but I gladly give them money from time and time and support what they stand for. Lest the statists forget, the only people that DIDN'T put the U.S. in the financial mess it finds itself in are the people in the Tea Party.

Democrats and establishment Republicans are both to blame for handing a $17T plus debt to the next generation of unfortunate and unlucky Americans. The Tea Party, alone, is serious about fixing that problem.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:20 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,972,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Ok, where were you when W launched two wars paid for with two tax cuts? Did you rise up in outrage over that? Just curious.
Do you think they moved and the location they lived then vs now matters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies