Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:40 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,165,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Ummmm.....these people are refugees.

You do realize that our country has allowed millions of refugees into its borders over the years right??

Did you complain about the Bosnians in the 90s/early 00s? I doubt not. You probably didn't even complain about the Vietnamese in the 70s/80s.

The town I grew up in had a group of Vietnamese and Laosian refugees in the mid 80s. We welcomed them and had empathy for them due to the trauma that they went through.

It would be nice if you could also be more sympathetic and empathetic to these people. They are here legally and the majority are seeking out a better life for themselves and their families.

There have been good old fashioned white "home grown" terrorist as well.
So that makes it okay to import foreign ones? I don't understand liberal logic.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:43 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,854,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
So you're all for importing more and more people that basically hate us and despise our way of life? Hopefully they move in next to you.

BTW, no one has a "right" to immigrate here. I don't know why that concept is so hard for some to understand.

The U.S. began giving asylum to Europeans following WW2. The number of refugees peaked in 1980. Russians, Cubans and Vietnamese comprise the largest blocks of refugees.

Depending on source, there are projected 100,000 +/- people in the U.S. of Somali ancestry. The majority are settled in the Twin Cities, Arizona, Iowa and Ohio. and The majority were given asylum when clan and class based civil war broke out in Somalia. It is known that about 50 U.S. born descendants of refugees have forged ties with Al Qaeda, in Somalia.

Some experts claim the attack on the mall in Kenya was a global recruitment initiative for youth, because malls represent western values. Others say the target was the owner of the mall, an Israeli business man.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:44 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,860,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep...no other race of people participates in pimping and sex slavery across state lines.

Asian prostitution rings on rise - Las Vegas Sun News
No one suggested that...

Since you brought it up, the excerpted section and linked article also mention culture, welfare and terrorism, cited in October by people in Maine. Not that other races can't be found to participate in these either. No one said that. This isn't about race...

This thread is about Somalis, who've immigrated en masse and migrated throughout the USA and, reported involvement in the Kenyan massacre...as "Americans?".

If they were green skinned or white skinned, the issues would be the same.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Tell me...just why did we need to import tens of thousands of Somalies in the first place? Are there any special skills or job quailifications that they are bringing into this country that we absolutely need here?

If not...just why are they here? The residents of Somalia turned the country into a hellhole of violence, crime and corruption. Why do we need to import that culture into this country? We have enough of that already.
Why has the U.S. given asylum to Europeans, especially Russians and Cubans and Asians?

Immigration should have been closed immediately following my ancestors' arrival, eh.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:53 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,719,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Why has the U.S. given asylum to Europeans, especially Russians and Cubans and Asians?

Immigration should have been closed immediately following my ancestors' arrival, eh.
Yes, but has always been limited, at least in years prior to the 1980s. The myth that the US always had it's door wide open is just that, a myth. Truth is, for most of its existence the US had immigration restrictions in place, opening the doors only when it suited the needs of the nation. That for the most part changed in 1965, and got dramatically worse in the 1980s with the first amnesty. Even back in the turn of the 19th century there was extreme concern about radicalized immigrants and measures taken to stop them. Look at the anarchist movements from Italy in the 1890s, or the communists from the Balkins in the 1900s. Every time the government took measures to keep people out that they perceived as anti-American or otherwise a danger. It's only in the era of political correctness has national self interest become "racist" or otherwise frown upon.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Get used to it, offering safe harbor for refugees of different types (especially look out for natural disaster refugees) will be a growing theme in coming decades.
Has been going on since the end of WW2.

By different types do you mean different from you?

Old 09-24-2013, 11:03 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,458,102 times
Those rascally Scandinavians going out of their way to import diversity.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:06 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,458,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Has been going on since the end of WW2.

By different types do you mean different from you?
It is one thing to offer refuge to those who can make it to our shores through their own volition, quite another to scour refugee camps around the globe to import people who haven't expressed a desire to come to USA. In many cases they have never even heard about the USA.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The refugees themselves are rarely the problem. It is their children, to whom so much opportunity has been given, that end up murdering those who sheltered their parents.

An "expert" on Fox said of some descendants:

"They struggle in school, they can’t rise and succeed,” he said of potential American-born recruits, adding that they’re likely disenfranchised with the American way of life and subject to emotional manipulation."

Kenya mall siege will help terror group recruit in US, say experts | Fox News

I would not limit " the appeal of extremism" to Somali descendants.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:10 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,855,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
So that makes it okay to import foreign ones? I don't understand liberal logic.
No, but the point is, no one is ever sure of who is a terrorist or who will become one. So to base it on race, religion, or any other sort of outwardly known characteristic is foolish.

FYI, I'm not a liberal so don't know if you are aiming that comment at me. I have (insert my name) logic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies