Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:29 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times

Advertisements

How many permanent jobs are created after a bridge is repaired?
How many permanent jobs are created after a road is re-paved?
How many permanent jobs were created after spending $500 million at Solyndra?
How many permanent jobs were created after the Alaska pipeline was completed?
And who cares the amount of permanent jobs form the pipeline. It's oil from North America and not from the Middle East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 08:39 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
I hear Obama say that once the pipe line was built it would only create 100 permanent jobs...That's bizarre. A pipe line stretching from Alberta right across the continental United States is incredibly long- It will take a few thousand people to maintain that line and keep it in good repair plus keep on eye on every foot of it to prevent environmental disaster. Plus what comes out the other end will create more jobs...BUT ...there is more than oil coming down this line...There will be certain chemicals added to keep this sludge flowing...and those must be dealt with in Texas...What will you do with the eventual millions of tons of toxic waste?

Old 08-01-2013, 08:42 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I believe them more than I believe obama's "50" jobs numbers.

The US refines almost 3 times as much oil than the second largest nation. Canada wanted to tap into US refineries (which creates the jobs) to turn the oil into fuel to be exported.
Canada wanted nothing of the sort! U.S. companies petitioned for and buy the stuff to refine/upgrade to sell on the world market. They buy it as crude before it goes into the line and after upgrading it they sell it as upgraded manufacturing stocks. It's gone from Canada's revenue stream as soon as it enters the pipeline.

The pipeline company makes it's money off the transportation of it.

It's not being turned into fuel, it's being used by China and others to make your plastics, shampoos, cosmetics and other stuff you buy at Walmart, thereby saving your light sweet crude for fuel stocks.

It's now being shipped via Keystone I and Warren Buffets railroad to those same gulf refineries in any case but they want more.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Even a pessimistic article by CBS makes Obama's 50 job claim a joke!

This article only talks of construction jobs and permanent pipeline jobs, but doesn't talk about the permanent spinoff jobs.

http://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis.r...nb_splitPage=0

Huh? They want to pipe the oil to refineries in the USA!

Posted with TapaTalk
I've counted 13 refineries in western Canada. And of course, they can always build more if this is so lucrative.

But I don't want that pipeline here. I don't believe it's safe.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
I hear Obama say that once the pipe line was built it would only create 100 permanent jobs...That's bizarre. A pipe line stretching from Alberta right across the continental United States is incredibly long- It will take a few thousand people to maintain that line and keep it in good repair plus keep on eye on every foot of it to prevent environmental disaster. Plus what comes out the other end will create more jobs...BUT ...there is more than oil coming down this line...There will be certain chemicals added to keep this sludge flowing...and those must be dealt with in Texas...What will you do with the eventual millions of tons of toxic waste?
There is no way in hell I trust that pipeline to be environmentally safe stretching THAT many miles. Hell no. I just can't see it.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:54 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There is no way in hell I trust that pipeline to be environmentally safe stretching THAT many miles. Hell no. I just can't see it.
THAT many miles? Aaah yes, the scientific approach based on logic and fact.

You do know you've already got over 2 million miles of pipeline under your country; some of it over 60 years old don't you?

The environmental disaster just waiting to happen is when one of Buffets trains of over a hundred car loads goes off the rails into one of your rivers. Watch any of the news lately of the disaster in Lac Magnetic Quebec?

By the by, that was an American train company operating in Canada.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:58 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Blame Canada: Greedy for oil money, the country is turning into a rogue petrostate
Blame Canada: Greedy for oil money, the country is turning into a rogue petrostate | Grist

“Oil from tar sands makes sense only for a small number of people who are making a lot of money from that product,” he said in an interview with the Guardian. “It doesn’t make sense for the rest of the people on the planet. We are getting close to the dangerous level of carbon in the atmosphere and if we add on to that unconventional fossil fuels, which have a tremendous amount of carbon, then the climate problem becomes unsolvable.”
Leading climate scientist: Canada’s tar sands makes climate change ‘unsolvable’ | The Raw Story

Old 08-01-2013, 09:09 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Who cares? The pipeline is already leaking and wreaking havoc...
Alberta Tar Sands Oil Is Already Flowing and Leaking Into the United States

Three Recent Oil Spills Leak Keystone XL’s Dirty Little Secret
Three Recent Oil Spills Leak Keystone XL's Dirty Little Secret
...and windmills kill eagles, nuclear power plants can leak radiation, even the pathetic solar cells require destructive mining and poisonous minerals and chemicals, find something that does not involve some risk.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:11 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
So....I guess all those who are rooting for Keystone don't mind paying more for gasoline. Hilarious.
And if Obama gives the go ahead, you'll all be screaming how Obama raised the price at the pump..
Got it.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:14 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Do even know how many miles of pipelines for oil and fuel we currently have "stretching that many miles," and more? Besides, the current pipelines were made with older technology, this pipeline will be state of the art construction. You folks need to come up with better arguments, or at least ones that are not based on feral emotions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies