Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 01:22 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,467,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Not this s**t again. The Bourne movie where every conversation in an extremely large population was monitored simultaneously real time for the keyword "blackbriar" is pure fantasy that is computationally impossible now and forever.
Just stop already. You are proving yourself illogical and lacking in real knowledge of the subject. It's not real time genius, read the article. I thought you worked for the NSA? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 01:24 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,660,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Yeah, decent article. Yahoo for instance only recently implemented the option for SSL for anything other than login. The login default for SSL took awhile. (in the case of email most of that transport is unencrypted though).

CD, for example, appears to not even enable "generic" encryption for logging in.

EFF is a good org for info on this topic.
HTTPS Everywhere FAQ | Electronic Frontier Foundation
A good article about the NSA's new data management center in Utah, and what they might be planning to do there, from Wired magazine:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...atacenter/all/

Old 06-18-2013, 01:30 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,301,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Just stop already. You are proving yourself illogical and lacking in real knowledge of the subject. It's not real time genius, read the article. I thought you worked for the NSA? lol
I don't work for the NSA. However, I may or may not know people who directly or indirectly work for them.

Even if it weren't in real time, gathering that much data is impossible because they would certainly experience a loss in data since their computers will not be able to keep up with the inflow. That is why they are only getting metadata and only listening in concentrated areas after posthoc analysis of patterns.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
This is different, however.
Not really, but if it makes you feel better believing in ghosts.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:34 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,940,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
A good article about the NSA's new data management center in Utah, and what they might be planning to do there, from Wired magazine:

The NSA Is Building the Country's Biggest Spy Center (Watch What You Say) | Threat Level | Wired.com
Yeah better than some I have seen. I believe a walmart is nearby. LOL

Old 06-18-2013, 01:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times
Quote:
I don't work for the NSA. However, I may or may not know people who directly or indirectly work for them.

Even if it weren't in real time, gathering that much data is impossible because they would certainly experience a loss in data since their computers will not be able to keep up with the inflow. That is why they are only getting metadata and only listening in concentrated areas after posthoc analysis of patterns.
NSA admitted to a zettabyte of storage.
World first for storage capability.
I wouldn't be surprised that the NSA has quite a few "never before seen" technologies.
When we see it the government is already on the next undisclosed one.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
NSA admitted to a zettabyte of storage.
World first for storage capability.
I wouldn't be surprised that the NSA has quite a few "never before seen" technologies.
When we see it the government is already on the next undisclosed one.
It's amazing how much faith you have in government bureaucracy to have algorithms and machines more capable than in private business or in research labs like CMU or MIT.

Storage means NOTHING without the capability of sucking in the massive bandwidth in real-time. That is why they only store metadata on a large scale, because it's impossible to store signals from a large population simultaneously.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times
Quote:
It's amazing how much faith you have in government bureaucracy to have algorithms and machines more capable than in private business or in research labs like CMU or MIT.

Storage means NOTHING without the capability of sucking in the massive bandwidth in real-time. That is why they only store metadata on a large scale, because it's impossible to store signals from a large population simultaneously.
Oh I don't.

The NSA contracts their services to companies like Palantir.

As far as hardware..the government has partnered with companies for every "World's fastest computer" going back years.
Each of the National Labs has their turn partnering with private industry to create the world's fastest computer.
And when it's announced they are well into the next one.

The most recent is Titan.. Oak Ridge and Cray. Planning for that one started back in 2005.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_(supercomputer)

Old 06-18-2013, 01:43 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,660,152 times
Quote:

The Internet itself was created by publicly -funded research, not private enterprise. To my knowledge, the government works closely with most computing research labs, including their funding.

Brief History of the Internet - Internet Timeline | Internet Society

Old 06-18-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh I don't.

The NSA contracts their services to companies like Palantir.

As far as hardware..the government has partnered with companies for every "World's fastest computer" going back years.
Each of the National Labs has their turn partnering with private industry to create the world's fastest computer.
And when it's announced they are well into the next one.

The most recent is Titan.. Oak Ridge and Cray. Planning for that one started back in 2005.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_(supercomputer)
Even more reason why I would be suspicious about "secretive" technologies no one ever hears about. Loose lips and all that.

The NSA analysts and contractors probably get a good laugh out of the "god-like" status they get from folks who are making up capabilities out of thin air. To concentrate on storage rather than computational capability (especially in the face of NP hard problems that no computer will ever solve) is a fallacy and smoke/mirrors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies